What's new

VSL Synchron Elite Strings - FREE Slurred Legato update

Ben

VSL
Hi there!

I'm very excited to announce the release of our new Synchron Elite Strings!

The Synchron Elite Strings is a chamber sized string ensemble (6, 5, 4, 4, 3 players) with a flexible and vivid sound, recorded in Stage A of the Synchron Stage Vienna.
You will get tons of articulations, 4 velocity layers in most sustains/legatos/portamentos.
We also included performance detaches (also known as bowed legato), different vibrato options, even for the portamentos, and highly flexible Espressivo legatos with different vibrato options, making it easier than ever to program lyrical and expressive passages.
You will also like the available variations for the attack and release of most long notes!

As always with all our Synchron products you'll get different mic positions.
And this time we even include solo mics for the 1st and 2nd player of each section!
Additionally, we created "Signature" mixer presets that come with a sonic twist, to provide more options and inspiration for your music!

Synchron Elite Strings are also perfectly usable for layering with the Synchron Strings Pro, and of course you can use all sections as divisi sections. As usual, we made sure that the preset structure is consistent.

Get the Synchron Elite Strings here for the intro price of
- Standard Library: € 325 (regular €445)
- Full Library: € 540 (regular €740)

Last edited:
Traditionally the VSL sound isn’t always my thing, but the ‘cloudburst’ mix in the Tchaikovsky except at ~2:20 sounds amazing,

In the post-dongle era, this really has my attention. :)

Lots of discussion about this new release here:

In the post-dongle era, this really has my attention
I can only highly recommend to get it now while on intro sale! (If you need an eLicenser, these are on sale as well on our website + you get a €20 voucher)

Reactions: ism
Love the articulations, very musical options! Too bad no perfect 4th trills for violins and violas. That's very common and lets you do triads (C-E, E-G, G-C). Can't wait for Elite Strings II with mutes!

Reactions: Ben
Traditionally the VSL sound isn’t always my thing, but the ‘cloudburst’ mix in the Tchaikovsky except at ~2:20 sounds amazing,

That’s the benefit of how they record things in a neutral manner—and one thing they have done in recently released libraries is offer a lot more sound variations premixed for you. I think other developers record with a specific sound in mind, and once that happens, it limits what the sound can do later (eg, if the other dev releases with some frequencies cut, theres no adding them back in after the fact.)

Another Guy Bacos masterpiece in the demos (Race against Fate). He uses countless different articulations, but the piece doesn't sound like he simply wants to showcase every given one. On the contrary, for me it sounds like the many articulations are part of the library just to realize his piece.

Very tempting library (even if I would have preferred Synchron Brass Pro :grin:)

Congratulations VSL !

This was a pleasant surprise for me this morning. :)

So, Synchron Elite Strings is the new Synchron Chamber Strings. Given the size of the sections.

Just curious, why didn't you name the library Synchron Chamber Strings ?

Looking forward to adding Synchron Elite Strings to my String library collection. I'm sure it will be a wonderful, and very useful library. But, first I need to listen to the demos, and watch the videos.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

• Love
Just curious, why didn't you name the library Synchron Chamber Strings ?
Even if it's the same section size as a chamber orchestra, the sound does not exactly match the classical chamber strings sound (thanks to the Synchron Stage acoustics).
Therefore we think "Elite Strings" is a more fitting name.

Even if it's the same section size as a chamber orchestra, the sound does not exactly match the classical chamber strings sound (thanks to the Synchron Stage acoustics).
Therefore we think "Elite Strings" is a more fitting name.
Hi Ben,

Yes, I'm noticing that while listening to the library demos. It has quite a different sound compared to VSL Chamber Strings.

I'm still digesting the details, and trying to find out if I really like the sound I'm hearing, I need more time to make up my mind.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

This was just what I was looking for - smaller ensembles with a modern sound and lots of articulations. Bought and downloaded already, all of the noodling around I did sounded pretty good. I like the soft releases and the agile legato - seems perfect for Glass-esque minimal arrangements with fast arpeggiated lines.

Why are there two different Velocity XF folders? I am probably missing something here. Will check back again tomorrow - but so far, so impressed.

Hi Ben,

I'm just looking at the manual for the Elite Strings, and I cannot find the number of velocity layers for each articulation. Mainly the legato is what I was looking for, but the other articulations too could be good to know. Do you know where I go to get this information?

thanks,

Steve.

Last edited:
- 4 dynamic layers for staccatos and détachés
- 3 dynamic layers for spiccatos
- 4 dynamic layers for regular and senza vibrato variations for Long Notes, Legatos and Portamentos
- 3 dynamic layers for molto vibrato variations for Long Notes, Legatos and Portamento
- 3 dynamic layers for tremolos and trills
- 2 dynamic layers for measured tremolos
- 3 dynamic layers for regular pizzicato and col legno
- 1 dynamic layer fpr snap pizzicato
- 1 dynamic layer for harmonics

source: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t57525-NEW--Synchron-Elite-Strings---Beyond-Awesome#post303282

- 4 dynamic layers for staccatos and détachés
- 3 dynamic layers for spiccatos
- 4 dynamic layers for regular and senza vibrato variations for Long Notes, Legatos and Portamentos
- 3 dynamic layers for molto vibrato variations for Long Notes, Legatos and Portamento
- 3 dynamic layers for tremolos and trills
- 2 dynamic layers for measured tremolos
- 3 dynamic layers for regular pizzicato and col legno
- 1 dynamic layer fpr snap pizzicato
- 1 dynamic layer for harmonics

source: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t57525-NEW--Synchron-Elite-Strings---Beyond-Awesome#post303282
Hi there Holywilly,

thanks so much for that post. :) That's great to know.

best,

Steve

These sound awesome! Slightly larger than VI Chamber Strings, but most importantly containing Violin I and Violin II sections, for better balance and for typical scoring needs.

I submitted my voucher request to AD just now. It sure is hard to keep track of which vouchers have been used, and order histories don't show, so it's VERY time-consuming to keep guessing.

Reactions: AEF
And to johe's comments above, I also do a lot of Glass-inspired string section work, and though I love the original Chamber Strings, there are many places where this may be a more appropriate solution.

Too often, if I wanted a softer release and a silkier sound, I'd go for a larger string ensemble from VSL, which wasn't quite what I wanted in most circumstances.

The solo mics within the sections, also brings a bit of Dimension Strings functionality to this library, for those who don't want to go whole-hog on that approach but might want a solo player here and there either atop the section or for a solo passage (the Solo Strings to me are awesome but a bit more for true solo playing such as a virtuosic concerto or even a string quartet).

I don't see these as replacing the Chamber Strings. They fit a different need. But for a lot of people, these may be the first compelling ticket into the VSL string world.

I wonder if VSL still has plans for developing a Synchron Chamber Strings ? or is Elite Strings the new Chamber Strings in Synchron ?

Top Bottom