1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSL Orchestral Strings?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Count_Fuzzball, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Eric G

Eric G Senior Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Also you might want to watch this Westlake Pro 15-part video and DEMO by VSL. Its comprehensive and you can skip over what doesn't interest you.

2. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I'm thinking, $2100 for standard edition is probably the place to start, together with Vienna Instruments Pro. I can decide later whether to pickup extended library or Dimension, or what have you. MIR I will have to wait until later, I already have some nice reverbs anyway, but if VSL is setup with presets to take advantage of MIR, then I'd probably add that too in the not too distant future.

3. Eric G

Eric G Senior Member

Jun 6, 2014
    MIRx costs less than MIR and you can get just one scoring stage presets for all instrument for about $100. And it works with VI Pro. You will notice VSL lets you take a nibble and then take a bigger bite with upgrades.

Dewdman42 likes this.
  4. EgM

EgM Game music!

I would definitely go with MIRx Teldex on top of that. It's integrated into Vienna Instruments Pro so you don't have to deal with room/placement if you don't want to.

Eric G likes this.
  5. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    I own a lot of libraries. Far more than I need. But I keep coming back to using VSL as my favorite.

Zoot_Rollo, Eric G, novaburst and 3 others like this.
  6. cadenzajon

cadenzajon Senior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Dewdman42 likes this.
  7. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I will keep an eye out for second hand for sure...I'm not in any rush... Sounds like at a minimum I should pick up MIRx and quite possibly MIR pro, but maybe I can start with MIRx and upgrade later.

8. I started with the VSL Cube (standard) and it is still all I use today. I have a select few other libraries, but 99% of everything I've ever written is with the Cube standard and Mir Pro.

Dave

Paul T McGraw and Dewdman42 like this.
  9. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I would definitely suggest getting MIR personally. It's the missing piece of the equation. The hours of fun I can have just in MIR!

10. BlackDorito

BlackDorito Member

Oct 16, 2017
    MIR does indeed allow you to load instrument settings that set several parameters tuned for the various VSL instruments.

11. BlackDorito

BlackDorito Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Let me also add ... if you are a home studio dude with say one acoustic instrument that you play (perhaps a bass or piano), then you can record it dry, add a few other dry audio tracks (e.g. drums), then use the MIR VST plugin on these tracks to place each instrument (track) on a virtual stage and get a very realistic "audience view" of the ensemble. This particular situation was plaguing me for years ... using algorithmic reverbs and panning, I never could get my acoustic piano (recorded in a bedroom) to truly sound like it was on a stage (the *same* stage) with bass and drums. MIR solved that for me.

Dear Villain and Casiquire like this.
  12. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Mir Pro on sale here. I have two, selling one set.

13. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Yes it can be quite expensive, I would recommend getting the special edition equivalent of the full library, get a feel of it for a few months then go for the full library

You end up getting huge discounts because you have the SE equivalent to the full.

The only snag is not all there full library's are on a SE equivalent so it would be a nice root to get hold of dimension Strings.

And of course SS are not on special edition too,

Also it seems like every month VSL are doing a 25% discount on random items so depending on your needs you can come out of it very well.

Have a look on there Web page to see the difference between standard and full articulations the difference is quite huge but again you need to see if you out grow the standard articulation, then go for the full again it will come with a nice discount.

The idea is pay as you go, or pay as you need.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  14. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    When you say there is a nice discount getting from the special edition to full can you please elaborate?

novaburst likes this.
  15. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    I'm still using the Kontakt version of Opus 1, which I believe SE is equal to (I could be wrong about that). If so, it's really all you need unless you really get deep into the articulations. And with SE you'll have the VSL player/controller, which seems pretty nice.

16. DoctorGuitar007

DoctorGuitar007 Member

Apr 16, 2018
    I love VSL. Mir-X was the breakthrough for me; up to then I was put off by it being a dry library as I didn't feel confident about all the reverb / panning / mixing needed to get a realistic sound. Mir-X turned VSL into an 'out of the box' library, but one where I still have the flexibility to turn off Mir and use the dry samples if I want a different effect.
    As others have suggested, I started with the Special Editions then upgraded to the Standard / Extended / Full versions of particular instruments as my needs developed. (Or when there was a sale on!)
    That said ... I switched to LASS for strings a year or so ago. Partly because my current project wants the "Hollywood" sound which I wasn't getting with VSL (which was down to me, not the library I'm sure. If I'd put the work in I probably could have got the sound from VSL, but LASS had it out of the box and was on sale and cheaper than getting the full version of VSL). Also though, I like that LASS has true divisi and a dedicated 2nd violins. (It always bugged me that VSL didn't do a second violins patch.)
    Something else with VSL is that the sample player, Vienna Instruments Pro, is awesome. (I've been amazed to find that even the newly released Play version 6 doesn't let you create custom keyswitch schemes.)

Casiquire likes this.
  17. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Yes definitely the player options would make a big difference in editing and cpu, I do find when comparing SE Orchestral strings with the full version I do notice more density and in some case an extra velocity layer that can make a difference in quality.

I have played about with the kontakt version while there is some bang there, the players offer so much convenience.

18. Nicola74

Nicola74 Senior Member

May 9, 2017
    You are right, there are no 2nd vlns, but in Mir you can positioning the 1st vlns on the left and the 2nd on the right with no phase issues without the trasposing trick and I have to say that I pretty like the sound with 2nd on

19. Nicola74

Nicola74 Senior Member

May 9, 2017
    You are right, no 2nd vlns...but with Mir you can have them on the right with no phase issues or trasposition trick.
    I have to say that I find the strings more balance in this way ;)

star.keys and DoctorGuitar007 like this.
  20. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    When you say there are no 2nd violins, is that with the SE version or Cube Standard, or both?

The VSL Instruments Pro player is a huge reason why I am interested in VSL honestly. From what I have seen it just opens up a lot of flexibility that is difficult or impossible in other libraries.

So I have read around that SE is a nice starting point, but that the upgrade path is a bit weird in some way, vs just getting Cube standard. From what I can see, Special Edition complete is $1600 and Cube standard is $2100 (new). Doesn't seem like that much more to get Cube Standard...and I for one would appreciate more velocity layers...but aside from saving $500 what other advantage would there be to get SE instead of Cube Standard?