What's new

VSL Orchestral Strings?

I will echo the previous posters opinions in the fact that you need to know how to use VSL instruments. You have a tremendous amount of articulations at your disposal, especially with the extended versions. If you just use pLeg patches with note velocity only and expect it to sound like epic-baked-in-reverb-ready-to-serve libraries, it is not for you, although to me with the right xfade work, I still love a straight run :)

I love the orchestral strings from VSL, while "sterile" by epic standards they are quite nice.

Last edited:
That's about what a studio recording of strings sounds like. I've noticed over the years that composers here tend to ride the modwheel too high, it's instant gratification. That makes that harsh rosin sound more prominent. The link provided by @Eric G is a great example of how to use VSL. According to the OP there, he isn't using any EQ. It's about well controlled dynamics and good writing.

A few dry libraries get this same criticism because they aren't built to be heard straight out of the box.

This a thousand times!

I rarely run the modwheel more than 60% on my VIs. I don't know what the hell is wrong with VI users these last years but it seems everyone wants every section to run on constant fff...

The whole "Trailer" scene is boring to my ears and is actually a pain to listen to.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Been busy IRL the last few days.

Thanks for confirming my hypothesis. I had tried using some reverb too with the VSL strings (specifically the Orchestral Strings) and no EQ, so I guess it's just me being way too used to the 'far-miced concert hall' wash of orchestral strings, as opposed to a more "studio" classical orchestra that VSL aims for.

Though I'm still less convinced about the lack of "lush" molto-vibrato in the samples. But I guess that's just a matter of taste. :D

Their software is incredible. Their special edition libraries are great for the money. The Perc. and More is a steal for under $50. You can upgrade the instruments in that fairly cheap.

I think even the VSL strings that come with Kontakt sound great. They're limited, but have a pleasing realistic presence.
Actually. the legacy VSL orchestral instruments in Kontakt are even better. Much more control. They include modwheel crossfade versions also. And they can be spruced up with SIPS and WIPS scripts to make them even better. I always encourage newbies to take a close look at the legacy library before they spend a lot of money on an orchestral library. Use what's available in-house before dropping another paycheck.

Actually. the legacy VSL orchestral instruments in Kontakt are even better. Much more control. They include modwheel crossfade versions also. And they can be spruced up with SIPS and WIPS scripts to make them even better. I always encourage newbies to take a close look at the legacy library before they spend a lot of money on an orchestral library. Use what's available in-house before dropping another paycheck.

How is this even better than the full versions? You can do all of this in the free VI

How is this even better than the full versions? You can do all of this in the free VI
There are no crossfades in the newer versions, for one thing. A major difference. You can't add SIPS/WIPS or other third party scripts without causing conflicts with the GUI's scripting and in some instances making the instruments unplayable.

There are no crossfades in the newer versions, for one thing. A major difference. You can't add SIPS/WIPS or other third party scripts without causing conflicts with the GUI's scripting and in some instances making the instruments unplayable.

How do you mean there are no crossfades? All my dynamics are crossfaded

How do you mean there are no crossfades? All my dynamics are crossfaded
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about these instruments—No crossfade dynamics. There's a velocity/volume wheel in the options section, but it if you tie a CC1 to it, it works backward, so kind of useless. There's a level knob in the instrument section, but it controls only volume, not dynamics. If you try to add any SIPS or WIPS scripts to these instruments, the scripts conflict with NI's scripting. If you know something I don't about them, any help would be appreciated. (They do seem to have CC 11 expression control, but that's volume only, not velocity.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.41.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.41.33 AM.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 12
I think robgb refers to the Kontakt factory samples while Casiquire is talking about the "real" VSL Strings. :)

That's exactly right, but when Rob said "the newer versions" and when I said "the full versions" I thought we were talking about the full libraries lol

Dunno how to quote things on this forum. :\

But, what's the difference between the 'legacy' Kontakt VSL instruments and the 'new' Kontakt VSL ones?

Aren't there (some) legato instruments in there, or are they just 1 octave demoware (like in the old old gigastudio version)?

So I have been salivating over VSL for quite a while and thinking about making an investment. However after looking at all the stuff they sell, its quite confusing where to spend the money there. There is the Cube, which would be roughly a $5k investment to get the full version...which I guess would be fairly complete, but then I hear everyone talking about Dimension stuff and now Sychron stuff...which means even more.. What do you guys think would be the right combination of stuff to get from them with say around a $5k budget? Would you get Cube, or would you hand pick various different instruments, for example Dimension Strings instead of what normally comes with Cube and so forth.. ??

Wow, I just went through this with VSL. My personal decision, which always should be made based on your composing and production weaknesses and limitations, was to go with VSL Cube. And trust me there was a week of going through spreadsheets and comparing pricing of bundles etc....

So start with do you have any of the other Software products? Like VI Pro, MIR or VI Ensemble Pro or Vienna Suite. I had all of them. What's compelling is that if you have them, and you get the CUBE then you have all the PRESETS for the instruments. So no need to start from scratch Setting up your template on EQ, Reverb or Balancing the orchestra. If you piecemeal VSL stuff with other Libraries, you discover, at least my skill level, that its not time well spent. By going all VSL with the CUBE has eliminated that for me.

Special Editions are just too limited (A mile wide and an inch deep from an instrument and articulation perspective). They sound great but they are just there new composers of orchestral music.

With the CUBE you get Solo Strings, Chamber Strings and Orchestral Strings. That's enough to get your started because you can mix those together any way you want. For example you can load up Orchestral String Violins and drop a Solo Violin with a 1st Chair Violin PRESET using MIRx and you have a nice sound. Or you can use Chamber Strings for Divisi or layer it under.

I told myself that I needed to EARN my way to Dimension Strings. Unless you know how to write for string players, I would wait for that. I mean there are samples for EACH string on the Violin. Think about that. Synchron Strings is just too new. I am waiting for them to complete the rest of the Synchorn orchestra before I jump into that.

Standard Edition Cube is about € 1,995. You can upgrade the instruments as you evaluate if you need the Extended Articulations. If you don't have the software, and I strongly recommend all of them that will run you another $1500 but are not required. But I you need help with PRODUCTION issues, I would take a close look at them.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
So I have been salivating over VSL for quite a while and thinking about making an investment. However after looking at all the stuff they sell, its quite confusing where to spend the money there. There is the Cube, which would be roughly a $5k investment to get the full version...which I guess would be fairly complete, but then I hear everyone talking about Dimension stuff and now Sychron stuff...which means even more.. What do you guys think would be the right combination of stuff to get from them with say around a $5k budget? Would you get Cube, or would you hand pick various different instruments, for example Dimension Strings instead of what normally comes with Cube and so forth.. ??
If you're thinking about investing into VSL librarys, I'd highly recommend to buy what they call a Vienna audition credit first to try out everything you want before buying it. I bought one of these a few days ago and found that it makes it a lot clearer what their products are actually like. These credits seem expensive, but can save you a lot of time and money. They're totally worth it, imo.

If you look on the product page of the Bundle or Instrument under "Sample Content" you will see the articulations in Standard and Extended (FULL) for each instrument.

Top Bottom