What's new

VSL Oboe Owners?

Hey everyone,

So, in my quest for the perfect oboe VI, I have tried:
- CH Winds
- 8DIO Claire
- BWW EXP B
- SSW

But none of them are really doing it for me. I've been using this phrase from "Frightening Dungeons ~ Cursed Towers" By Koichi Sugiyama to gauge the tone, legato, etc:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Recently, the French Oboe from VSL has caught my eye, and while the demos certainly sound nice, I was wondering if anyone could do a quick and dirty mockup of this line for me?

Additionally, I'm interested to hear opinions from those who own both the French and Viennese oboe, on what they think the pros and cons of each are.

Do they sound good with a breath controller? How in-depth can I go in terms of sculpting the phrase?

Thanks so much!

BTW, here is the original track for those interested - great listen:

Hey everyone,

So, in my quest for the perfect oboe VI, I have tried:
- CH Winds
- 8DIO Claire
- BWW EXP B
- SSW

But none of them are really doing it for me. I've been using this phrase from "Frightening Dungeons ~ Cursed Towers" By Koichi Sugiyama to gauge the tone, legato, etc:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Recently, the French Oboe from VSL has caught my eye, and while the demos certainly sound nice, I was wondering if anyone could do a quick and dirty mockup of this line for me?

Additionally, I'm interested to hear opinions from those who own both the French and Viennese oboe, on what they think the pros and cons of each are.

Do they sound good with a breath controller? How in-depth can I go in terms of sculpting the phrase?

Thanks so much!

BTW, here is the original track for those interested - great listen:

Great track. My guess is, you’re going to need VSL. Their woodwinds are the cream of the crop but I have not yet dared enter the VSL universe, so I’ll let others chime in here that have!

Please report back in time what worked best for you. I’m part of that VI-C subset that are always looking for the “perfect” winds ;)

These are special editions only, one patch, no dynamic variations.

1st french oboe, then d'amore, then viennese if I didn't make mistake. With and without reverbs.
Dry and Wet VSL@Synchronized f Obue special editions...

Wow, thanks for doing that for me guys, these sound amazing. I'm totally sold.

@Ben What am I looking at here? i.e. are the special editions and the Synchronized special editions different? Can I disable the room in the synchronized version?

Damn, wrong tempo on mine xD But @nawzadhaji did it right ;)

Also mine are not synchronized, those are older VI instruments. Same samples, different player. In synchronized you can disable the room and use dry samples only.

I'll post this exact snippet in a few minutes. Won't say which library it is, so that it doesn't bias you in any way. Basically, its rendering as I type this, but I've done the same phrase repeated about 10-15 times. One at mf and one at more of an f dynamic. Then I repeat it, but this time I've exaggerated the vibrato a bit. Then one more repeat in which the vibrato is much faster.

And then the whole thing repeats but with a different oboe preset.

OK, in my template the oboes are really far back and wet. Can do a drier version if you need but that may be later:

I actually now can't remember the order of the phrases. But it generally goes:

1) m, moderate vibrato depth, moderate vibrato speed
2) f, moderate vibrato depth, moderate vibrato speed
3) m, more exaggerated vibrato depth, still moderate vibrato speed
4) f, and then same as 3

5) m, moderate vibrato depth, faster vibrato speed
6) f, same as 5 otherwise
7) m, more exaggerated vibrato depth, faster vibrato speed
8) f, same as 7

Then the same for Oboe 2

OK, in my template the oboes are really far back and wet. Can do a drier version if you need but that may be later:

I actually now can't remember the order of the phrases. But it generally goes:

1) m, moderate vibrato depth, moderate vibrato speed
2) f, moderate vibrato depth, moderate vibrato speed
3) m, more exaggerated vibrato depth, still moderate vibrato speed
4) f, and then same as 3

5) m, moderate vibrato depth, faster vibrato speed
6) f, same as 5 otherwise
7) m, more exaggerated vibrato depth, faster vibrato speed
8) f, same as 7

Then the same for Oboe 2

Thanks for doing that! Infinite Woodwinds?

If you play it yourself especially with a breath controller you can get much more expression in these; but I've just quickly copied over the notes and added vibrato and velocity crossfades to the notes. Result in the attached mp3 (French Oboe (SYized Woodwinds), Viennese Oboe (SYized Woodwinds), Oboe d'Amore (SYized Special Edition))

@Ben What am I looking at here? i.e. are the special editions and the Synchronized special editions different? Can I disable the room in the synchronized version?
If you go for the Special Editions go for the SYNCHRON-ized ones. They are better in every way, and yes you can completely disable the reverb. You will get not only optimized, but also more articulations and instruments.
Keep in mind that the Special Editions have no vibrato control like the SYNCHRON-ized Woodwinds do.

French Oboe -> the common oboe sound you are most used to. Sometimes in orchestral context the oboe sticks out too much. In this case the Viennese Obioe will be a better match as its sound blends better. More infos in our academy: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Woodwinds/Oboe

how did you manage the repeated C note from bar 3 to 4 (legato, fast legato, overlap...)
You can use the sustain pedal CC to connect the same note. For strings this will trigger a re-bow, for other instruments it will trigger the transition without fiddling around with the exact note length. Make sure the first note ends before the repeated note starts!

Attachments

• oboes.mp3
    582.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Thank You ,I am sorry I deleted The example in my computer But I attached Small Example How I managed I Draw Deep and Very Short Dynamic +Expression In Same Time You can see on (E ) in Picture ,,,

Thats a great technique for repeating notes, works really well on other string libraries that dont do a re bow on repeated notes. learnt that technique not the long ago from another forum post on here.

Thank You ,I am sorry I deleted The example in my computer But I attached Small Example How I managed I Draw Deep and Very Short Dynamic +Expression In Same Time You can see on (E ) in Picture ,,,

You can use the sustain pedal CC to connect the same note. For strings this will trigger a re-bow, for other instruments it will trigger the transition without fiddling around with the exact note length. Make sure the first note ends before teh repeted note starts!

Thanks to both of you for this info !

Top Bottom