What's new

VSL - New announcement

Lee Blaske

"Synchron-ize" and a picture of a string instrument suggest to me that it's a string ostinato library (like the one recently released by 8Dio, and the Heavyocity products). I hope it's something different, though. These days, we really seem to have a lot of companies covering the same ground.

If there hadn't been a stringed instrument in the photo, I would have guessed that the "be prepared" comment meant a new prepared piano library for Synchron.

muziksculp

Maybe it means that they made their nice VI/VI-Pro Instruments nicer by making them work in a Synchron Player (Synchron-ized), with a built-in Synchron Hall MIRx effects that's ready to make them sonically compatible to the Synchron Libraries. Just a wild guess.

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
Maybe it means that they made their nice VI/VI-Pro Instruments nicer by making them work in a Synchron Player (Synchron-ized), with a built-in Synchron Hall MIRx effects that's ready to make them sonically compatible to the Synchron Libraries. Just a wild guess.
sold!

While I'm excited to see where Synchron player goes, I sincerely hope VSL doesn't try to move us off of the excellent, stable, great-performing and now highly-customized-by-users VI Pro player.

Synchron player is full of new and as yet unproven ideas. I remain skeptical of deep branching dimensionality and the difficulty of working with that in a DAW, the context sensitivity when changing between different trees, the use of curves vs explicit splits when assigning CCs to patches etc. Plus new software takes time to reach stability.

They certainly needed to add multi-mic support for Synchron, but the rest of it is a whole new bowl of soup I wasn't hungry for :)

muziksculp

If they are porting the VI/VI-Pro Libraries to the Synchron Player, I wonder if they need to convert the actual samples to the newer more compressed sample format for Synchron Player ? if Yes, that would also mean we might have to re-download the VI/VI-Pro based libraries in the new sample format.

I would rather see VSL move forward with developing the Synchron line, rather than re-visiting the older VI libraries. VI-Pro 2 with its matrix system. It is a great system.

Last edited:

Lee Blaske

If they are porting the VI/VI-Pro Libraries to the Synchron Player, I wonder if they need to convert the actual samples to the newer more compressed sample format for Synchron Player ? if Yes, that would also mean we might have to re-download the VI/VI-Pro based libraries in the new sample format.

I would rather see VSL move forward with developing the Synchron line, rather than re-visiting the older VI libraries. VI-Pro 2 with its matrix system. It is a great system.
At this point, I don't think we have any indication VSL is taking all their old content and bringing out new Synchron versions of it. I don't think that even makes sense. The "Synchron" branding is all about recording things in their Synchron Stage environment with their new, wet, recording techniques. All the old content was recorded bone dry in a different room.

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
Thanks for saving me money. VSL lost their touch confirmed.

On the flip side: maybe I'll get to snatch the older libraries at a low price now they'll be outdated.
gotta love VI C.

with Sy, the older libraries are now "vintage" and will probably go up in value.

can't wait for the Relic versions.

i thought VSL libs were less desirable because they are old and outdated.
They do sound outdated... and such an afterthought. Asking people to use a 6-Violin I (Chamber Strings) to match 14-Violin I (Synchron Strings I) and to use the artics in Chambers Strings to fill in the holes of Synchron Strings shows VSL probably has schedule/cashflow issues producing Synchron Strings II.

It's more like "Synthe-sized Chamber Strings". If one listens to the demo together Synchron Strings, immediately it sounds more synthy.
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Package/Synchron_Chamber_Strings#!Demos

Last edited:

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
They do sound outdated... and such an afterthought. Asking people to use a 6-Violin I (Chamber Strings) to match 14-Violin I (Synchron Strings I) and to use the artics in Chambers Strings to fill in the holes of Synchron Strings shows VSL probably schedule/cashflow issues producing Synchron Strings II.

It's more like "Synthe-sized Chamber Strings". If one listens to the demo together Synchron Strings, immediately it sounds more synthy.
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchron_Package/Synchron_Chamber_Strings#!Demos
old man snarks aside, i appreciate your comments.

thanks.

It's fair enough for VSL to find creative ways of re-monetizing their old products.
But using it as the ultimate solution to "fix" problems that Synchron Strings I is having, that's really:

LESS..
LESSER...
SHAME-LESS

Top Bottom