What's new

Vsl Flute 1

michdb

hi
have you guys used the flute 1 from Vienna?
I have spitfire woodwinds but the flute from Spitfire is not good for fast and agile notes maybe also because is a very wet library so I was looking for an agile flute so I m looking to the vsl flute 1 extend library which right now is on sale and the extend version bring runs which they are difficult to make with a standard library but I couldn't find any review or video about vsl woodwinds not much information about vsl instruments,
do you know any other recommendations

hi
have you guys used the flute 1 from Vienna?
I have spitfire woodwinds but the flute from Spitfire is not good for fast and agile notes maybe also because is a very wet library so I was looking for an agile flute so I m looking to the vsl flute 1 extend library which right now is on sale and the extend version bring runs which they are difficult to make with a standard library but I couldn't find any review or video about vsl woodwinds not much information about vsl instruments,
do you know any other recommendations
Are You only looking for runs or for an agile flute in general? I actually own a lot of VSL stuff and I am espescially loving the woodwinds because of its really great legato sound. I mainly work with the special Editions, which is enough for 90% of the time and layer them with Spitfire ones.

Reactions: muk
mostly agile flute because ill use the legato most time but I found that to make a real run is difficult, do you use this library when you need runs, the standard flute 1 is half of the price of the extended version so I should check, do you have both special volumes?

I actually own all spec editions and the Flute 1 single instrument (both expansions) and as stated above I am almost using it all the time. You only have to do a bit of mixing so that they blend with Your other libs since they're dry. For runs I mainly use the ones from albion or cinesamples since when Iam doing runs (not that often) then this are mostly played by the biggest part of the woodwinds choir. If You don't own any of the VSL stuff then I recommend to start with the Special editions to see if it fits Your writing style. They also have very fair upgrade prices from the special editions...:)

I seem to remember that the auddict flute was very agile and had good legato... don’t know if you can buy it as an individual instrument though

I seem to remember that the auddict flute was very agile and had good legato... don’t know if you can buy it as an individual instrument though

U can't. I've asked before and ended up buying the entire library.

I'd definitely go for the extended lib. I don't use the preset runs very often but fast scales sound pretty good anyway with the many combinations of articulations you get.
I find the VSL woodwind a little fiddly to control - having to use a lot of keyswitch and CC1 combinations to get the performance but the result is good.

The playable trills patch is the best for runs but I've found even the standard can handle fast playing very well.

Last edited:
I have the VSL SE woodwinds and haven't been very impressed with them overall. I prefer the CH winds or even the GPO 5 Flute which sounds better to my ears than the VSL Flute. Also, the responsiveness of the VSL winds for fast passages is surprisingly bad from my experience.

Are You only looking for runs or for an agile flute in general? I actually own a lot of VSL stuff and I am espescially loving the woodwinds because of its really great legato sound. I mainly work with the special Editions, which is enough for 90% of the time and layer them with Spitfire ones.

Hi Paul, I also have VSL Woodwinds Special 1 and 2. Do you also have these Woodwinds Speacial 1 and 2 Plus versions? You said "they are enough for 90% of the time", with or without Plus versions?

Thanks,

Hi Paul, I also have VSL Woodwinds Special 1 and 2. Do you also have these Woodwinds Speacial 1 and 2 Plus versions? You said "they are enough for 90% of the time", with or without Plus versions?

Thanks,
Well, that depends on your writing style. If You're only searching for basic articulations like legato, staccato etc. then You're covered, but the plus versions include trills etc., which sound better than faking it with other arts. And as mentioned below, they're on sale now. But as I wrote before are the basic articulations enough for most of the time :)

Well, that depends on your writing style. If You're only searching for basic articulations like legato, staccato etc. then You're covered, but the plus versions include trills etc., which sound better than faking it with other arts. And as mentioned below, they're on sale now. But as I wrote before are the basic articulations enough for most of the time :)
Thanks, I'll get them :)

One more question; are you playing flutes with velocity layers for expression or using mod wheel with VelX option?

One more question; are you playing flutes with velocity layers for expression or using mod wheel with VelX option?
Depends on the articulation. You can set this with VSL for every art individually which is a powerful feature. I use velocity on short arts and a CC Modulator on legato and other longs. :)

Top Bottom