VSL Dimension Strings II (Sordinos) User Feedback ?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by muziksculp, Apr 2, 2017.

1. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

I have it, and it's very nice. If you like using Dimension Strings I, and you want sordino articulations, you'll like II.

3. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks.

Loving the way the Violins Section Demos of Guy Bacos on the VSL Dim-Strings II product page.

The Sordino Dim-Violins have a very nice timbre/character. Great for making that Film Noir feel, or for that mysterious, or nostalgic strings sound.

Casiquire and Lee Blaske like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

I have been spending some time discovering this library (VSL Dimension Strings II) the Sordinos, which I found wonderful, and very handy to have.

It's not just the long articulations that are great, but also the shorts of this Sordino Strings Library.

Here is a fast noodle I did in real time, of the 8 vlns playing a customized patch where I have loaded Violin Players P1 through P8 on the 8 available slots with Short articulation (Staccato), then I added Violin Players P1 through P8 for (Short-Detache) on Slots B , so I can use the slot-crossfade between the two articulations, used a bit of humanize in VI-Pro2, and some automation of the slot-crossfade fader to add more animation, and color to the shorts. I used one Instance of VI-Pro 2. I'm also going to test this using 8 X VI-Pro 2 tracks, one for each Player, also one can get more control over the sound of each player if needed using 8 X VI-Pro 2 instances. (One for each violin player), this is especially a good method when using MIR to position the each violin player on the stage.

Here is a pic of the VI Matrix

[​IMG]

I'm curious if this is still a very popular library, along with VSL Dim-Strings I ? Since not much is posted about Dimension Strings these days.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Casiquire likes this.
  5. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I still find them indispensable. We need more libraries with divisi and they're the last library to get that right.

muziksculp likes this.
  6. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    You know, if you check Vel XF, you can use the mod wheel to add dynamic expression with the velocity layers. And you can combine that with the CC11 (Exp) and adjust the balance with a response curve under Ctrl Map. But you already knew that I'm sure.

muziksculp likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes, that's right. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

I was testing Dim-Strings I Shorts, and I find that there is a big timbre difference between the Sordino, and Non Sordino versions of the Shorts.

I will post some more audio examples as I continue discovering VSL Dim-Strings I and II.

Oh.. I had to disable the low-latency mode of the Audio Engine of my DAW (Studio One Pro 4) , I was getting voice overloads, which caused some audio crackling noises in Low Latency Mode (Dropout Protection = Maximum), which I set to Minimum.

Cheers,
    Muziksculp

Casiquire likes this.