What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

Sure, but we were already encouraged to buy a new one every two years anyway. So after the two years, instead of buying a new elicenser, buy an iLok instead, and you're no worse off.

I'm not sure what servers have to do with anything. You can have a totally offline system and just leave the elicenser plugged in until it fails if you want

"Forever" means for as long as Steinberg feels that it can keep the servers running.

It'll probably still work on Windows in 2027, there's no need for internet access to access your current VSL libraries right now with a physical dongle, just need the eLicenser Control Center. :P

On Mac? Will mostly not be long after they kill the server.

But like @Casiquire said, you'll have your free ilok additional licenses.

You can have a totally offline system and just leave the elicenser plugged in until it fails if you want
Maybe that's right, but I'm not certain. This only matters if you have some reason for wanting to keep your licenses on eLicensers rather than moving them to iLoks. The only possible reason is $30 or so. iLok is just better.

Maybe that's right, but I'm not certain. This only matters if you have some reason for wanting to keep your licenses on eLicensers rather than moving them to iLoks. The only possible reason is $30 or so. iLok is just better.

Edit: Not personally directed at you Richard :)

If you've been in the business as a composer or engineer, you've had an iLok since like forever. What the hell am I saying?! We ALL have an iLok and eLicenser! ;)

Can we all just start being real now?

Last edited:
Edit: Not personally directed at you Richard :)

If you've been in the business as a composer or engineer, you've had an iLok since like forever. What the hell am I saying?! We ALL have an iLok and eLicenser! ;)

Can we all just start being real now?
Except for a few here who don't believe in any dongles whatsoever. Note: this is not me. I love my iLok. I am happy they are moving over.

I believe that developers should come together to find a common license management system. Also one download manager for all the plugins/library.

Just like it has been in the past with MIDI.

Also, I believe that a system that allows demoing the sample libraries would be great

Well, I luckily saw this thread right prior to hitting the checkout button on VSL's website - was going to buy Jazz Drums but, now I will wait until the iLk Cloud feature is available

Well, I luckily saw this thread right prior to hitting the checkout button on VSL's website - was going to buy Jazz Drums but, now I will wait until the iLk Cloud feature is available
There is no reason to wait - if you need an eLicenser: It's currently on sale on our website + we give you a 20€ voucher :)
And of course you'll get replacement licenses for free as soon as these are available for the iLok system.

There is no reason to wait - if you need an eLicenser: It's currently on sale on our website + we give you a 20€ voucher :)
And of course you'll get replacement licenses for free as soon as these are available for the iLok system.
Thanks - how long does it take for the eLicenser to ship?

Also, is the €20 deducted from the order automatically or is the €20 voucher only applicable to the next order?

So, after accounting for the eLicenser at €13, it is really only a €7 voucher?

Last edited:
Top Bottom