What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

I think this is a great decision. I wish all companies using e-Licenser would move over to iLok(Steinberg, I'm looking at you).
Then I wouldn't have to worry about multiple dongles.
And iLok3 looks like it has better build quality than those plastic e-licensors which I hear fall apart from time to time.
Steinberg is indeed moving to iLok, and I wonder if they are killing e-licenser technology after a recent breakdown.

How is this different from what we already have?
It is not. That is my point. Most other libs or plugins from other developers can be installed on more than one machine. Here we are stuck with one authorisation like before. Essentially we are moving from one usb stick to another. Cloud authorisation is okay when you don't have to move around athorisations all the time.

And now I just realized I have zero experience with iLok Cloud.
@Ben
Since you are in the process of making the final planning-programming-decision making, is there any chance to allow iLok Cloud Licenses of VSL libraries to be also stored in a main local machine?
I had the same train of thoughts.
At first, I was really happy that VSL instruments might finally be an option for me.
But then I checked and realised that what I am currently using for some plugins is the "machine based" activation, where you only need to be online while (de-/)activating your computer, but you can be offline the whole time while composing.

Therefore, I would also like to know if only usb- or cloud activation will be possible (which means I would continue avoiding VSL), or if the "machine" activation will be possible as well (which means I will probably loose a lot of money in the future, but will gain a lot of shiny new toys...:blush:).

Last edited:
I think that will depend on how many activations VSL give us. With iLok you decide whether your license will be in the Cloud OR on your dongle. With two or more activations, that issue goes away.
Most stuff on my ilok has 1/2 used licenses. Could i transfer the 2/2 licenses on a second ilok (as backup) on it?

yes you can... The main use of more activations to use the software on more than one computer.
Main Machine and Notebook on the road...for example...

I am sure, that VSL will give us only one activation like many other companies. (Zynaptiq, Cranesong,...)

But for me ilok is the best, vsl can do...cause of the Zero Donwntime Protection ilok provides to protect your dongle...

VSL has announced that they'll move to ilok. Steinberg hasn't. Steinberg only comfirmed that they'll discontinue elicenser, that the future will be 'dongle free', and that they won't move to subscription only. What protection model Steinberg will use instead of elicenser - that they haven't announced yet.

I had the same train of thoughts.
At first, I was really happy that VSL instruments might finally be an option for me.
But then I checked and realised that what I am currently using for some plugins is the "machine based" activation, where you only need to be online while (de-/)activating your computer, but you can be offline the whole time while composing.

Therefore, I would also like to know if only usb- or cloud activation will be possible (which means I would continue avoiding VSL), or if the "machine" activation will be possible as well (which means I will probably loose a lot of money in the future, but will gain a lot of shiny new toys...:blush:).

As per the iLok website (bolded and italics mine):

https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager

iLok License Manager​

The License Support installer (above), contains all of the needed drivers, system files and the iLok License Manager. With these tools, you can activate and de-activate your licenses to fit your workflow. All iLok enabled licenses can be activated to the iLok USB Smart Key. Some publishers allow computer or iLok Cloud activations. With the iLok License Manager, you can move your licenses to where they are the most convenient for you.

Activation to a computer, the iLok USB Smart Key, or the iLok Cloud, requires an Internet connection. The iLok Cloud requires a constant Internet connection while the licensed software runs.

So, it is technically possible but it is up to the publisher to allow machine based authorisations.
From what I have seen so far, VSL haven't enabled that option, unless I missed it.

As per the iLok website (bolded and italics mine):

https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager

iLok License Manager​

The License Support installer (above), contains all of the needed drivers, system files and the iLok License Manager. With these tools, you can activate and de-activate your licenses to fit your workflow. All iLok enabled licenses can be activated to the iLok USB Smart Key. Some publishers allow computer or iLok Cloud activations. With the iLok License Manager, you can move your licenses to where they are the most convenient for you.

Activation to a computer, the iLok USB Smart Key, or the iLok Cloud, requires an Internet connection. The iLok Cloud requires a constant Internet connection while the licensed software runs.

So, it is technically possible but it is up to the publisher to allow machine based authorisations.
From what I have seen so far, VSL haven't enabled that option, unless I missed it.
They didn't allow machine based as there was money to be made of the keys and insurance...

I hate Ilok machine based activations....yeah sure it’s great before your laptop dies and then it’s a PITA

Toontrack and Plugin Alliance and UHE know what they’re doing...

I hate Ilok machine based activations....yeah sure it’s great before your laptop dies and then it’s a PITA
Out of curiosity I googled this case, and found a thread on kvr that it is not possible to deactivate a machine based licence if the drive or computer is dead... turns out that you have to ask each developer seperately for a _new_ key, as the old one can't be reset. Didn't know that. :eek:

I think I have to reconsider my current opinion.

Steinberg is indeed moving to iLok, and I wonder if they are killing e-licenser technology after a recent breakdown.
That doesn't make any sense, Steinberg literally said "The future will be dongle-free" and other things that do not make us believe that they are moving to iLok. I would be extremely disappointed if that's the case, but I can't find anything suggesting that.

Out of curiosity I googled this case, and found a thread on kvr that it is not possible to deactivate a machine based licence if the drive or computer is dead... turns out that you have to ask each developer seperately for a _new_ key, as the old one can't be reset. Didn't know that. :eek:

I think I have to reconsider my current opinion.
I had to ask Avid to deactivate some licences I had in a laptop I lost... Machine activations are an awful system. I can't see any real advantage of VSL moving to iLok to be honest, this is a missed oportunity to upgrade to something more user friendly.
I hate how the music technology industry can sometimes be so outdated.

The apparent conflict of statements might easily be explained by Steinberg going to iLok Cloud, whether or not they also support a iLok dongle basis.

I think it was a question of semantics, but as this is not yet resolved, I'm going to delete what I wrote on another forum so that it doesn't potentially spread misinformation if it turns out that Steinberg is NOT going to ANY form of iLok licensing.

Last edited:
Please consider deprecating the "examine the dongle" policy when the iLok get faulty.
If every company was requesting that, with 400 licenses in my iLok, I will have to send it for a world tour.

Also it's unacceptable that you're asking your users to pay half fee if the dongle gets stolen.
For the dongle to get stolen, usually means that laptop got stolen, or a breakin the house or the studio. It's highly likely the users are already suffering financial losses, damages and they are highly depressed from a situation like this, and you are asking them to pay "Half Price".

I didn't know that, got some Synchron stuff, the future will depend on the decisions you're going to make regarding licensing.

Last edited:
So.... if Spitfire requires no dongle, and Orchestral Tools requires no dongle, and AudioBro requires no dongle... etc. etc.

Well, then why not just add VSL to the list? ;) ;) ;)

True, but I would rather give up returns and resales if they would get rid of the dongle.
My preference is the opposite. I've returned a fair few, and have made some amazing purchases that I otherwise would not have were that "parachute" not present.

I know that the "ideal" solution for buyers is that there's a return policy and no dongle, but I suppose that's not in question.

Top Bottom