What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

So if say you purchased a Vienna Library now, without a ViennaKey does that mean I can use my iLok to register the license with or do I have to wait and if so does that mean I would still need to buy a ViennaKey?

So if say you purchased a Vienna Library now, without a ViennaKey does that mean I can use my iLok to register the license with or do I have to wait and if so does that mean I would still need to buy a ViennaKey?
You can not register licenses to the iLok yet, but you will get free iLok replacement licenses as soon as we finished the transition.

I would recommend to get an eLicenser in the meantime so you can already use the products - we have now discounted the ViennaKey (which is a rebranded eLicenser) and on top you also get an 20€ voucher: https://www.vsl.co.at/Product_Overview/ViennaKey

Being able to move to a cloud key solution finally makes VSL libraries an option for me. Great news!

I remember some weeks ago when ilok cloud crashed and I couldn´t use some of my plugins when trying to meet a deadline.
I don´t think Cloud authorization is not the best solution. (and I have 3 elicensers for my vsl servers)

I remember some weeks ago when ilok cloud crashed and I couldn´t use some of my plugins when trying to meet a deadline.
I don´t think Cloud authorization is not the best solution. (and I have 3 elicensers for my vsl servers)
Exactly my fear - both for cloud side and my IP provider side. Dongles are the only option here as I see it.

Not sure if this has been answered (haven't read all six pages)......The one advantage of ilok over e-licenser for me personally is the ability for the developer to allow more than one activation per license.
For sure I hope VSL does this.
rsp

Not sure if this is a smart move from Steinberg and Vienna... eLicenser was the only thing preventing their software to be hacked. Now iLok?? There are infinite groups of cracked software on Facebook where morons share iLok "protected" plugins, it's a disgrace.

Not sure if this is a smart move from Steinberg and Vienna... eLicenser was the only thing preventing their software to be hacked. Now iLok?? There are infinite groups of cracked software on Facebook where morons share iLok "protected" plugins, it's a disgrace.
My understanding is that Cubase has been cracked for a good while now. Maybe VSL hasn't, but that could be simply down to the fact that there's comparatively much less demand for VSL cracking, at least I'd imagine most people dwelling in Facebook/Reddit piracy groups are into EDM, hiphop etc and not orchestral. That's not gonna change with them moving to iLok

EDIT: I think think this could be a very good move on VSL's part, if the cloud licensing works seamlessly (I haven't tried it yet) I may finally get into their ecosystem. Physical dongles have always been a dealbreaker for me, and for libraries this expensive I wouldn't feel comfortable with machine-based licenses either...

iLok could be considered "dongle-free" if the developer offers machine and/or cloud-based authorization. All the user needs is the Pace software and (for cloud-based) an internet connection.
Having the option of using a dongle (Ilok dongle is always an option, cloud/computer is not) is not being dongle free.
On the other hand, if some other company tells us that a change of their licensing platform because of the death of this licensing toolkit is 'overcoming the limitations of a platform', you actually may have a point here ;)

Last edited:
OK, so it looks like the correct headline to all this should have been:

"VSL/Steinberg announce they will force users to replace one dongle with another - or require an active internet connection while working".

I recall a big debate about the benefit of a backup dongle, strongly "advised" by VSL (insurance and all that). Is there going to be a grace period or refund or whatever, for people who just recently bought two e-licensers and will now need an i-lok?

Some time ago they offered demos for synchronized special editions, one of them is a bit trimmed Dimensions Strings (but big enough to get an idea if this is your thing). Maybe you can check if they can still offer demo of that one?

And as for ilok... I'm kinda indifferent but will test cloud for sure, at least till first server issues ;)
Yeah I remember that, but it's moot at the moment for me since it still requires the dongle even just to try it out.

OK, so it looks like the correct headline to all this should have been:

"VSL/Steinberg announce they will force users to replace one dongle with another - or require an active internet connection while working".
Not really, no.

What about us who don't wanna transfer to iLok
and just wanna continue using eLicenser on the
existing stuff we have...can we?

Sadly you are right...every iLok Software is cracked.
There is no VSL Library cracked yet.

Can someone enlighten me on how a dongle is less reliable than machine-based activation? I know probably several dozen people who use dongles and I've never heard of one dying. Computers, however, especially hard drives, fail pretty regularly. So.... ???

I wouldn't be surprised if dongles are 1000x more reliable than machine-based validation.

rgames

Can someone enlighten me on how a dongle is less reliable than machine-based activation? I know probably several dozen people who use dongles and I've never heard of one dying. Computers, however, especially hard drives, fail pretty regularly. So.... ???

I wouldn't be surprised if dongles are 1000x more reliable than machine-based validation.

rgames
2 times it happened to me, 1 time my iLok
failed and 1 time my eLicenser failed.

2 times it happened to me, 1 time my iLok
failed and 1 time my eLicenser failed.
Sorry to hear that. But you're one person - I'm curious to know data based on the experiences of a large number of people (i.e. reliability, not web forum anecdotes). I bet the number of computer component failures outnumber dongle failures by at least a couple orders of magnitude. That means machine-based validation would be at leat a couple orders of magnitude less reliable.

rgames

Dear Community,

We have some important announcements to make. You can read the post from our CEO, Herb Tucmandl, here in our forum: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t57384-Moving-from-eLicenser-to-iLok#post302591

Please note that the official discussion will happen at the VSL forum.

Here a copy of Herb Tucmandl's announcement:

---

Hello Everyone,

It is my pleasure to announce that we’re starting to prepare the move to a new license management platform.

eLicenser has served us well during many years, but we’re also well aware of some limitations of the platform that we want to overcome for our customers and for us.

Thus we’re currently preparing the transition of all of our products to PACE’s iLok license management solution. This will take some time, but we’d like to let you know as early as possible that many new options in license handling will be available to our customers in the future, and that the entire process of purchasing and activating products will be streamlined and improved.

To make the entire migration as easy and hassle-free for our customers (and for us ;), here are a few key facts we’d like to share that early in the process:

• FREE TRANSITION: Moving your licenses from the eLicenser to the iLok platform will be free of charge for you.

• CHOICE OF KEY OR CLOUD: You will be able to choose if you’d like to store your VSL licenses on the iLok hardware key or in the iLok Cloud without using a hardware key.

• COMPATIBILITY: Under the iLok system, you will still be able to open existing projects as long as the eLicenser is connected. Once the project has been saved again, the eLicenser will no longer be required.

• CONTINUED SERVICE: You’ll be able to continue to use the ViennaKey/eLicenser USB key as well as the eLicenser Control Center for as long as it is working on your computers’ operating systems. Your licenses are safe and perpetual. Steinberg will keep the eLicenser license server available as long as possible, so you’ll be able to move licenses between eLicenser USB keys and will receive replacement licenses in case of damage, theft or loss of your eLicenser key (for free if you have a valid Vienna Protection Plan) well beyond the time when the iLok system is already available to you.

We’ll be able to provide more information later this year. Before you ask, at this time we don’t know when exactly we’ll be able to start moving licenses to the iLok platform, but you’ll be the first to know as we move along in the process.

What’s more, we’re now offering ViennaKeys at a substantial discount, and we’ll include a free €20 voucher with every ViennaKey order in our web shop.

Best wishes from Vienna,
Herb Tucmandl
CEO

Dear Community,

We have some important announcements to make. You can read the post from our CEO, Herb Tucmandl, here in our forum: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t57384-Moving-from-eLicenser-to-iLok#post302591

Please note that the official discussion will happen at the VSL forum.

Here a copy of Herb Tucmandl's announcement:

---

Hello Everyone,

It is my pleasure to announce that we’re starting to prepare the move to a new license management platform.

eLicenser has served us well during many years, but we’re also well aware of some limitations of the platform that we want to overcome for our customers and for us.

Thus we’re currently preparing the transition of all of our products to PACE’s iLok license management solution. This will take some time, but we’d like to let you know as early as possible that many new options in license handling will be available to our customers in the future, and that the entire process of purchasing and activating products will be streamlined and improved.

To make the entire migration as easy and hassle-free for our customers (and for us ;), here are a few key facts we’d like to share that early in the process:

• FREE TRANSITION: Moving your licenses from the eLicenser to the iLok platform will be free of charge for you.

• CHOICE OF KEY OR CLOUD: You will be able to choose if you’d like to store your VSL licenses on the iLok hardware key or in the iLok Cloud without using a hardware key.

• COMPATIBILITY: Under the iLok system, you will still be able to open existing projects as long as the eLicenser is connected. Once the project has been saved again, the eLicenser will no longer be required.

• CONTINUED SERVICE: You’ll be able to continue to use the ViennaKey/eLicenser USB key as well as the eLicenser Control Center for as long as it is working on your computers’ operating systems. Your licenses are safe and perpetual. Steinberg will keep the eLicenser license server available as long as possible, so you’ll be able to move licenses between eLicenser USB keys and will receive replacement licenses in case of damage, theft or loss of your eLicenser key (for free if you have a valid Vienna Protection Plan) well beyond the time when the iLok system is already available to you.

We’ll be able to provide more information later this year. Before you ask, at this time we don’t know when exactly we’ll be able to start moving licenses to the iLok platform, but you’ll be the first to know as we move along in the process.

What’s more, we’re now offering ViennaKeys at a substantial discount, and we’ll include a free €20 voucher with every ViennaKey order in our web shop.

Best wishes from Vienna,
Herb Tucmandl
CEO
I am quite happy that ilok is now being used. Much easier and flexible, imo.
Just make sure you let us create 2 authorizations (for main and backup PC), like all developers do.

Top Bottom