What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

And now, beyond any doubt, VSL is the best company ever.

Congratulations for this decision and for listening to your existing and potential customers requests. You are amazing. Nothing more to be said.
They are doing it because Steinberg is dumping eLicenser, not because of their love for their customers..

EDIT: ReleaseCandidate beat me to it

They are doing it because Steinberg is dumping eLicenser, not because od their love of their customers..
If this was the case, then they would require iLok USB dongles from their customers, and not Cloud-based.

This means that after the change, no extra money for insurance will be required, no need to renew your dongle every 2 years, no stress about a broken or a lost dongle, and no waiting time if something like that happens, etc...

Plus you could sell your VSL libraries with just 1 mouse click. Or buy one like that. No need to wait for dongles to be shipped from one continent to another.

This is as good as it gets.

This means that they listen to their customers (existing or future ones)! :)

This is really good news. The option of iLok Cloud is ideal even though I for now will remain with an USB iLok. On a technical note, it's largely up to VSL how often they check licensing, so they could choose to make iLok Cloud work acceptably well even with spotty internet connections.

Last edited:
On great advantage with iLok Cloud is that you don't need any dongles and you won't lose your licenses because your dongle or PC breaks (if your PC breaks you will have issues with machine based licenses). So also no need for any insurance or somthing like that. Obviously, I still prefer solutions that don't use dongles or iLok (e.g. NI or Spitfire stuff) but I also understand that companies want/need to protect their products ...
This +1000! Finally, I'll be able to invest in VSL. It's really cool that they listened to the community, very smart move.

Why is another hardware dongle necessary when the player can serve as one ? SF player, Sine are effective dongles.

Last edited:
Really chuffed to hear that Steinberg are ditching the eLicenser!

Hope that, if VSL can have any say in the matter, they choose to have minimal authorisation (daily?) from the cloud.

I will probably go iLok dongle though - as I already have a bunch of other stuff on them (x2) - will be nice to lose the eLicensers though - they do indeed appear to be cosmetically more shoddy that the iloks.

I'll be patient and see what this solution entails, if this means the 'license insurance' is a thing of the past I may actually have to drop my animosity.

Good to see steps are being taken towards a more customer-friendly solution.

A contrarian take: the way VSL/Steinberg protected themselves before was at the expense of everyone else - literally by punishing paying users with a dongle. Now that the server is broken, they have a ground-breaking new solution - let's punish paying users with a machine license instead!! What a stunning breakthrough in customer-centricity...

A contrarian take: the way VSL/Steinberg protected themselves before was at the expense of everyone else - literally by punishing paying users with a dongle. Now that the server is broken, they have a ground-breaking new solution - let's punish paying users with a machine license instead!! What a stunning breakthrough in customer-centricity...
Negative events are often what drive change (positive, in my opinion). It's not unique to VSL or Steinberg.

I don't really understand the point of the contrarian take. Are you saying that you're still mad and won't be a customer? Do you want to drag people who are happy about this down a notch? Maybe this stays out of the Commercial board and both our posts aren't in the right place.

This means that after the change, no extra money for insurance will be required, no need to renew your dongle every 2 years, no stress about a broken or a lost dongle, and no waiting time if something like that happens, etc...
Is it confirmed that this will be the case?

Negative events are often what drive change (positive, in my opinion). It's not unique to VSL or Steinberg.

I don't really understand the point of the contrarian take. Are you saying that you're still mad and won't be a customer? Do you want to drag people who are happy about this down a notch? Maybe this stays out of the Commercial board and both our posts aren't in the right place.
As a long time user of products from both companies, I am not mad at all. They made a decision and I accepted it a long time ago. Also, I have never had a single issue with a dongle - mine is from 2004.

What's not cool is when a solution is implied to be a result of customer focus, when it is clear that they would have kept the dongle for another decade if not for server problem. It's fine to celebrate it. But since it's a business, not charity, it's also ok to keep the pressure up.

Top Bottom