What's new

Voice leading not to be done at home

b_elliott

A work in progress.
I had read that there is a lot of fuss over parallel 5ths and octaves.

In a book I am reading covering Palestrina counterpoint these parallel voice leadings were always strictly avoided. As a result, Palestrina created glorious vocal works; but....

I got curious what a song sounds like, especially when it violates this rule as much as possible.

To my ears Vox Lydian doesn't sound too bad -- definitely not 15C though.

Hopefully you'll listen to the results. Have a larf.

Attachments

• Vox Lydian.mp3
    1.4 MB
I had read that there is a lot of fuss over parallel 5ths and octaves.

In a book I am reading covering Palestrina counterpoint these parallel voice leadings were always strictly avoided. As a result, Palestrina created glorious vocal works; but....

I got curious what a song sounds like, especially when it violates this rule as much as possible.

To my ears Vox Lydian doesn't sound too bad -- definitely not 15C though.

Hopefully you'll listen to the results. Have a larf.
Take rules like that as rules for emulating a particular style. When you want your voices/melodies to sound independent, avoid using parallel fifths and octaves.

There are plenty of situations where you might want parallel fifths and octaves (planing a la Debussy, moments meant to express voices coming together for a cadence, etc). Your music just won't sounds like Palestrina, Josquin, Bach, Mozart, Brahms, etc in those moments.

"although Pythagorean theory, which provided the principal intellectual framework for understanding music during the early Middle Ages, seemed to recommend uniform consonances such as fourths, fifth and octaves, musicians discovered that voices spaced in these intervals and moving rigidly in parallel tend be heard as one. In fact, whenever two voices come together in a fifth or an octave — or worst of all, a unison — there is a danger that they will fuse like two converging rivers, so that we lose track of one or the other. [...]

This came to be seen as a guiding rule of composition that was to be observed even when composers were not writing counterpoint. And so we very rarely find chord sequences in the Classical and Romantic eras that involve simultaneous, identical movements of all the notes.* There was actually no good reason for this prohibition, however, when the intention was not to maintain separate voices, although it wasn’t until the late nineteenth century that composers such as Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel dared to ignore it.

*It was considered particularly important to avoid parallel movement of fifth and octaves, since these create the greatest danger of fusion. Parallel thirds and sixths are much more common, because these are less consonant, and so we’re less likely to interpret them as overtones."

- Philip Ball, The Music Instinct

[Edit: of course, there are also other ways to prevent voices from fusing---giving each one to an instrument with a different timbre, panning or spatialization, making some voices slightly sharp or slightly flat (but not so much they sound noticeably out of tune), etc.]

Last edited:
Excellent points @anjwilson and @AnhrithmonGelasma. I appreciate your taking the time to share these observations, so thank you. Cheers, Bill

Note: The Philip Ball reference is quite timely. I discovered YouTube also has a 2-part podcast out of the UK with this author on this very book. I shall dive in.

Top Bottom