What's new

Virtual MOD Wheel Suggestions

Jeremy Spencer

So...I'm totally digging my Native Instruments S88 controller. However, I am not feeling the love with the goofy Pitch/MOD wheel strips. Not only are they too far over, but I am accidentally activating the pitch strip when using the MOD strip because of the way they are placed. I'm really glad the second generation controllers have the wheels, but so far nothing for the S88. My Nektar LX88+ has great wheels, and they're located in an ideal position.

I have an iPhone and iPad, so I'm going to download an appropriate app for controlling CC1, and place in an ideal position on top of the S88. Anyone else use this method? Any advice on which app to choose would be greatly appreciated.

There's a few apps on iTunes that look pretty decent (and inexpensive), but maybe I'll try out Touch OSC or Lemur. Open to any suggestions!

Thanks

I use TouchOSC now for everything. I use an X/Y pad on my Nexus tablet to control CC1 - mod wheel, and CC20 - Vibrato. Works like a dream.

I use TouchOSC now for everything. I use an X/Y pad on my Nexus tablet to control CC1 - mod wheel, and CC20 - Vibrato. Works like a dream.

Thanks! For the price, I downloaded it anyways....didn't realize it was that inexpensive. This should do the trick!

TouchOSC is a steal at the price, to be sure, and a great way to get started on this kind of thing, especially if you aren’t interested in becoming a programmer.

One of the things I like about Lemur is the ability to tailor the physics of the virtual wheel(s) in various aspects. I have a little iPhone Lemur controller that I use with my mobile setup, with the physics of the pitch vs. mod wheel set up in very different ways, ways that feel as distinct and natural to me as I expect I can achieve on a touch screen. I don’t recall if TouchOSC has that level of control, but I don’t think it did. (I do own both, but haven’t used TouchOSC in years.)

TouchOSC is great! I`m actually surprised at how inexpensive this thing is ($6.99). I was able to quickly make a big CC1 slider for my iPhone, which sits perfectly on my controller as the new MOD wheel. The program looks pretty deep, I`ll definitely be programming some cool templates once I have some time. Thank guys!

TouchOSC is great! I`m actually surprised at how inexpensive this thing is ($6.99). I was able to quickly make a big CC1 slider for my iPhone, which sits perfectly on my controller as the new MOD wheel. The program looks pretty deep, I`ll definitely be programming some cool templates once I have some time. Thank guys!

That sounds very easy! I havn't heard about TuschOSC. Can I just download it and easily make it work as a mod wheel in Kontakt or Logic?

Top Bottom