Virtual Horn and Breath Controller

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Uiroo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Uiroo

Uiroo New Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I just saw this video of the great Jeremy Soule and couldn't find this product anywhere.
    Does anyone know if it's available somewhere?

2. pmcrockett

pmcrockett Senior Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Saint Louis
  3. reddognoyz

reddognoyz Senior Member

I don't think they make that model anymore but there are newer and improved models

4. OP
    OP
    Uiroo

Uiroo New Member

Nov 6, 2018
  5. SchnookyPants

SchnookyPants I never metaphor I didn't like

Apr 26, 2016
    42.709, -83.020
  6. SchnookyPants

SchnookyPants I never metaphor I didn't like

Apr 26, 2016
    42.709, -83.020
  7. danbo

danbo Active Member

Jun 14, 2018
    I haven't tried that one but use the hornberg HB1 which is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. It's beautiful, a bit of a work of art and the programmability and usability is top drawer I'm a wind player and so having a professional breath controller is important for me.

The BBC2 seemed pricy for the build quality. If it was mass produced the price would be more like $25, anyhow I figured if I'm in for $200+ for a cheap (but not inexpensive) plastic BC, might as well go all the way and get a hornberg. FWIW.

Uiroo likes this.
  8. RobertS

RobertS New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Having used a TEControl breath controller (the original one, without tilt/nod) very successfully, I decided last year to try the HB1, thinking like you that it would be much better. I found it is less responsive than the TEControl, therefore back it went for a refund.

9. danbo

danbo Active Member

Jun 14, 2018
    The curves (=responsiveness) are completely programmable. You can set it to stair step if you wish.

10. RobertS

RobertS New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    It's not the curve shape I refer to, but the speed of the sensor. I found that no matter what settings I used on the HB1, I couldn't do fast attacks and flutter tongue as well as I can with the TEControl.

11. danbo

danbo Active Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Flutter tongue! Interesting, as a professional clarinetist I've never used double tonguing, or heard the flutists use flutter. When I was young we would play around with it for fun, but other than maybe an odd band piece never had occasion for it, certainly not orchestral. By fast attack, do you mean like a marcato or accented attack, or no I guess you mean playing fast sixteenths or something.

FWIW the clarinet (or any reed I believe) is impossible to tongue especially fast, I think flutists have it easier.

12. RobertS

RobertS New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Watch this video starting at 1:31 for an example (it's not me in the video)