1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viking Choirs

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Walid F., Jul 10, 2018.

1. Dandezebra

Dandezebra Sorry for the inconvenience

Jan 7, 2018
    I'm sold if this is created! Best of luck and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

2. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I'm wondering if it could be done with any degree of authenticity? Is there information about what viking music sounded like (beyond knowledge of instruments and primary source descriptions like Kinmarnesen shared earlier)? Was it documented in detail by early Christian monks in Iceland, like the Eddas and Sagas were?

If you're not committed to complete authenticity, maybe you could add a female proto-celtic language choir for melodic contrast? A few wolf howls and raven caws would also be a great addition. :)

Here's Heilung mentioned earlier in the thread:

ptram likes this.
  3. SBK

SBK Senior Member

Aug 24, 2016
  4. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Usually, Christian monks didn't survive long enough to listen to Vikings sing...

Paolo

Walid F., Lode_Runner and MrLinssi like this.
  5. Lode_Runner

Feb 5, 2014
    Except Athelstan ;)
    I did mean in the years after the conversion :)

ptram and Wally Garten like this.
  6. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    The problem is that the conversion also brought to the Vikings a new music. So, the old one was either deeply mutated, or entirely forgotten, as the music of the profane days.

Paolo

7. Lode_Runner

Feb 5, 2014
    True that was usually the way. But in Iceland in the 13th Century, a couple of hundred years after Christianisation, for some reason they wrote the sagas and eddas which documented in Icelandic a lot of the oral history/legends and religion of pre-Christian Norse society. I was wrong that it was monks who transcribed it - Snorri Sturluson was one of the main writers and he was a politician. I don't know if there was a similar interest or capacity to document the music though, so you may well be correct.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 2:40 AM
    ptram likes this.