Viking Choirs

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Walid F., Jul 10, 2018.

1. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    I guess I'll have to wait for the release to find out what a Viking Choir is even supposed to sound like:)

2. Manaberry

Manaberry Senior Member

Apr 9, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MrLinssi and Walid F. like this.
  3. Robo Rivard

Robo Rivard Senior Member

May 11, 2016
    Québec
    Awesome track Walid! Now I want to get a tatoo on my head, and drink beer in someone's skull.

Walid F. likes this.
  4. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    There’s some awesome music in the Norwegian Viking series (“The Norsemen” in English). Could perhaps be an inspiration.

Walid F. likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Walid F.

Walid F. Senior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Gothenburg
    Hahaha you guys are awesome. xD

Thanks for the tips too!

W.

kimarnesen likes this.
  6. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Maybe couple it with a Sami vocal library... after watching the excellent Midnight Sun series that had a haunting Sami wail as the title track and whose story centred around the Sami culture (for someone non-nordic was an eye-opener).

Wally Garten and kimarnesen like this.
  7. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Awesome idea! Love the joik tradition of the Sami people.

8. Jake

Jake Senior Member

Jul 9, 2015
    As a Dane I can relate to a certain part of that description ;)

kimarnesen likes this.
  9. Kuusniemi

Kuusniemi Senior Member

Jan 7, 2010
    I would definitely be interested in this stuff.

10. OP
    OP
    Walid F.

Walid F. Senior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Gothenburg
    Yes had that in mind too! And with a singing technique known as "joik".

Cheers!
    W.

Wally Garten likes this.
  11. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Hurry before Tarilonte does it ;)

Wally Garten and Walid F. like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Walid F.

Walid F. Senior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Gothenburg
    Already talking to studios here in Sweden! :) I have a few friends who do folk music, some girls and instrumentalists. Really excited to get something cool going here.

W.

kimarnesen likes this.
  13. David Chappell

David Chappell Senior Member

May 19, 2013
    Viking choir would be sweet! If you're expanding it to other Scandinavian forms of singing I'd absolutely love some kulning, as well.

In general I'm just desperate to see much more variety in the things being sampled, surely there are enough strings and percussion libraries for a while... :)

14. Francis Bourre

Francis Bourre Senior Member

Apr 26, 2018
    I would definitely enjoy that as well. Best wishes for this promising project!

15. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I'd be interested but for me personally this kind of thing would be more of a "fun library" and not a "work library" if you know what I mean. I could see quite a lot of people jump on it at a low price point, but at the price of one of the big choir libraries I'm skeptical if it could keep up with sales. But that's 100% pure speculation on my part.

I love the sound of the northern languages and I'm looking forward to see what you'll come up with either way! Good luck with that project!

One more thing that I'd like to mention is, with phrases in languages that I don't understand, I'd always be concerned about the "meaning", so if possible I'd be in favor of providing translations for phrases in at least the manual, maybe even in the UI of the Kontakt instrument.
    Made me think about this story:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/quran-references-force-worldwide-littlebigplanet-recall

The track where you sing sounds great too by the way!

16. fretti

fretti Senior Member

Just out of interest: are there still people around knowing how to speak -or better- pronounce old norse? Or is it [still] so similar (in used signs etc.) to modern north germanic languages that it's possible for native speakers to get it right relatively fast and easy?

17. OP
    OP
    Walid F.

Walid F. Senior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Gothenburg
    Thanks for the input guys, it's helpful! The idea for this library would be that it could be used in anything dark, medieval, atmospheric, mystic, tribal, pagan warrior settings. So will try to make this niche as it is, but also provide ways of using it for other things.

One great reference I have for the low mens choirs would be something like this (at 0.14 seconds):

Since I speak Swedish and can speak and understand Norwegian and Danish very well, I can also understand quite a lot Old Norse. It is definitely not a language I would say I "know" but the north germanic languages come from it so we can understand some of it. The closest modern language to Old Norse is Icelandic and Faroese.

Best,
    W.

Francis Bourre and fretti like this.
  18. tim727

tim727 Senior Member

Nov 21, 2017
    IMO such a library would be really cool ... and something I would likely purchase. That being said, perhaps the currently-existing WOTAN by Strezov Sampling can sort of "masquerade" as a "Viking-sounding" choir library?

I know they're not singing in a Scandinavian language (or any actual language for that matter) and maybe the style isn't quite right, but it seems that in certain cases it could maybe fit the bill.

19. OP
    OP
    Walid F.

Walid F. Senior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Gothenburg
    I have Wotan and it's a great library! It doesn't do what I want it to do though for this feel. I did talk to George Strezov a few years ago before Wotan saying I'd love to see some more basso profundos, and Wotan did do just that. But I still think there's a gap here to be filled - at least for my own sonic arsenal. :)

Best, W.

20. Dandezebra

Dandezebra Sorry for the inconvenience

Jan 7, 2018
    I'm sold if this is created! Best of luck and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!