What's new

Vienna Smart Orchestra

Looks more like a mix of Epic Orchestra and Special Edition 1 (synchronized).
You have some percussion, mallets, strings, wood and brass (everything as section, not as separate instruments). Additional you'll get violins, flute, oboe, clarinet, trumpet, horn as single instruments.

Did you guys see whee if you own any of the Special Edition libs or the Cube the price is reduced to 99 euros or did I mix that up?

Edit: Whoops. It is true. You can buy for as low as 95 euros if you own the SE vol 1 or the Cube.

Do I need another sketching orchestra?

Did you guys see whee if you own any of the Special Edition libs or the Cube the price is reduced to 99 euros or did I mix that up?

Edit: Whoops. It is true. You can buy for as low as 95 euros if you own the SE vol 1 or the Cube.

Do I need another sketching orchestra?

yes, it shows as 95 euros when i log in.

good question.

I imagine they were very eager to get this going and that this was planned for a while. Things seemed to be heading in this direction. I'm only surprised that they didn't get wood and brass out first. Are they just that low on funds? Or are the samples from unreleased Synchron string and brass libraries? It does sound nice though!

Yeah I'm wondering where those Percussion samples are from, Synchron or the old library? I'm thinking the brass and woods are probably from the older libraries.

Yeah I'm wondering where those Percussion samples are from, Synchron or the old library? I'm thinking the brass and woods are probably from the older libraries.
I think these are old ones, in the product text it says the instruments were positioned with MIR Pro technology, so it's another synchron-ized product. :)

I like the overall sound, but I don't need a sketching orchestra. I'm wondering why they are releasing so many products recently with a relatively low price for registered users... Is it some kind of saying sorry for Synchron Strings? Just my opinion. Sorry, didn't want to mention them again.

I'm wondering why they are releasing so many products recently with a relatively low price for registered users...
I just hope it is not a way of saying: we are abandoning the traditional VI line. Jump onboard before it is too late.

Paolo

I like the overall sound, but I don't need a sketching orchestra.
Same here. It looks and sounds like a good one but when you've already got VSL SE and / or the Orchestra included in VEpro 6, 95 euros for a another sketching orchestra seems irrelevant. And, sorry to grumble again about this but the fact that it could be used as a laptop sketching tool is still and always contradicted by their dongle policy (no way I'm taking my elicenser on a laptop ride). They should rather update their policy as promised countless times in the last months (years).

I think the wanto create a bigger product range for new costumers too... and maybe they need also more time for next synchron content! anyways looks like a cool product

Perhaps they are hoping that by exposing enough people to the Synchron Player many will grow to love it so much they will buy other Synchron products in the future. The essence of the Synchron line is, of course, the Synchron stage, but it is also the Synchron Player. The lack of a full-throated thumbs up to the Synchron line plus the difficulty getting people to accept that the Synchron player is (in their view) a game-changer might have encouraged them to take steps to get the Player in as many hands as possible, this in hopes that by use people will come to appreciate it's genius (again, their view).

It makes sense to get the Synchron line into the hands of Special Edition users because VSL) hopes they will be steered to make their future purchases in the Synchron line rather than the VI line. I have trouble seeing this as anything other than a telltale sign that the future of the VI line is to be vestigial until it can be retired at some point in the future.

Last edited:
I for one was tempted to get a foot in the Synchron door when the Strings were released, but backed off after reading the comments of users about the Legato. So far I am glad I did, since it would take me many years to build out the new line, years I probably don't have.

In the video it looks like the Timpani is omitted from the percussion section. That seems a strange choice. Perhaps they have built in little "encouragements" to upgrade.

All this said, it does seem like a good value for the price. If nothing else it is what it says it is, an orchestral sketch environment.

Last edited:
I see no advantage in using synchron player for a library which contains only one mic position.
VIPro is more advanced, imho.

Well i bought it. I had some bitcoin credits in my BestService account along with some VSL credits from previous VI libraries i bought.

This little package can be a nice background for the VSL CFX (which is my main piano), specifically those FX patches/pads which are getting praise already at the VSL forums.

Same here. It looks and sounds like a good one but when you've already got VSL SE and / or the Orchestra included in VEpro 6, 95 euros for a another sketching orchestra seems irrelevant. And, sorry to grumble again about this but the fact that it could be used as a laptop sketching tool is still and always contradicted by their dongle policy (no way I'm taking my elicenser on a laptop ride). They should rather update their policy as promised countless times in the last months (years).

+1 re:Dongle. VSL should employ the 'soft e-licenser' for this product, like Cubase LE/Elements. Or better yet, allow several installs & the ability to de-authorize as needed.

Top Bottom