What's new

Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, really?

Hmm, the upgrade price isn't showing when I'm logged in.

UPDATE: After five minutes or so it did.

Last edited:
wow - what about backwards compatibility - will old projects open fine?
"The software installation of Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 will overwrite Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5. All Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 projects are fully compatible with Vienna Ensemble Pro 6."

As someone who has been working with VEP for the first time over the past few months, these improvements look awesome. Can't wait to get this installed and improve an already amazing application!

Just to be clear, this is Enabling and Disabling tracks inside VEPro 6 and not in the DAW? I wonder if this helps the bug in Cubase of Disabling Tracks and the Midi Routing not being remembered?

I saw the "port 16" in logic's plugin...is it AU3?

and VST format in OSX!

It's out.

New Features

• Retina (HiDPI) graphics support on both Mac and PCs
  • Tabbed instances – Improved organization with one common window for all instances, with detachable instances, re-ordering of instances, and tab-coloring for better identification
  • Frozen/Disabled channels allow unloading all plug-ins (including their allocated memory) from a selected channel, while keeping data intact
  • Intelligent auto-save functionality – Auto-saves project in desired intervals, but only when transport is stopped, so it doesn’t interrupt a playing session. Easily recover projects in the event of a crash.
  • VCA folders let you organize your channels conveniently with folders and subfolders that are easy to color-code
  • VST hosting on the Mac, allowing for full compatibility with Windows
  • Channel grouping allows assigning channels to a group, with option to link selected parameters to the entire group
  • “Raise Instance” is now a Vienna Ensemble Pro plug-in parameter to enable automation/hardware controller assignment for quick instance access
  • “Auto Raise Instance” option raises the connected Vienna Ensemble Pro instance automatically when you show the Vienna Ensemble Pro plug-in
  • New code base for about 70% less CPU usage for all internal Vienna Ensemble Pro calculations
  • Rewritten user interface code resulting in 80% less CPU usage for graphics
  • Improved multi-threading performance for increased plug-in hosting capacity
  • Redesigned, resizable plug-in window and Audio/Event Input Plug-in
  • Faster connection/disconnection times when switching between projects
  • Unified channel model – No more need to create different channels for Vienna Instruments or 3rd party plug-ins. Every channel now has the capability to be a bus, audio input, plug-in channel, Vienna Instruments, Vienna Instruments Pro or Vienna Imperial channel. Drag & drop plug-ins to any channel.
  • In combination with Vienna MIR Pro: Impulse response files loading up to 5 times faster, improved graphical performance (especially under OS X).
  • Mixer Interface Customization allows turning on or off sections in the mixer to suit your needs
  • Transmission of all keys to host – Shortcuts not in use by Vienna Ensemble Pro will be transferred to a connected DAW
  • Miniature view – Channel strips can now be further collapsed
  • Faster plug-in scanning
  • Many more usability improvements throughout the application

ZERO problems here with VEPro 5 and DP... What are you hoping for?
Looks like they didn't but thought they might add ability to come from one midi channel (DP & PT) but access different midi channels, which would make it much easier for DP & PT users to access 16 different arts (spread out on 16 different midi channels) from just one track (midi channel). Thats already possible in Cubase, and Logic asaik...

Actually you can automate the disable feature, which I think is the best unadvertised feature in VE pro 6. I love it!

I haven't touched VEPro since Cubase disables tracks feature, but this could be just a tad more productive (+ the other nice features).

Hmm. Every time I try and merge a project, it crashes.
THIS IS THE SINGLE biggest concern I have. Will it disrupt my work -- AND - will there be issues with past projects calling up. VEPRO 5 is so stable - the VEP 6 new features list looks 'ok' but nothing is screaming "you cannot live without this feature'. I have a master puter and 3 slaves so I'll have to pick up 2 lics (no big deal as the upgrade price is low) - but not really wanting to pull the trigger on this - mostly for stability issues. Can someone who picked this up convince me otherwise (running PC's all the way around - Cubase 8 pro.)

Just to be clear, this is Enabling and Disabling tracks inside VEPro 6 and not in the DAW? I wonder if this helps the bug in Cubase of Disabling Tracks and the Midi Routing not being remembered?
That bug is fixed in the latest Cubase btw. You just need to build your template in that version.

Doesn't look like AU3, right?
Couldn't get the update so far since I'm on holiday right now. But the new feature video didn't show anything in that regard.
Greetings to you all!
U

That bug is fixed in the latest Cubase btw. You just need to build your template in that version.

I'm afraid to say it isn't. I made a video showing this and posted it on Sternberg's site. I built a template completely from scratch, in 8.5.20 and trashed prefs before building it. Upon enabling Instrument tracks the Midi routing is completely forgotten.

Top Bottom