What's new

Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, really?

InLight-Tone

The Cubase Disable track doesnt remember the routing for me. So it's completely useless at the minute. Yes, I made a template from scratch and in the newest 8.5.20 version (after trashing prefs). I made a video showing this and posted it to Steinberg of which they are now looking back into it. VEPro is such a great tool and having a template with instruments all ready to go only helps my creativity. Having to route, group, apply VSS2 and then reverb all my instruments everytime I want to write something? No thanks.

Jono, you can do that all within Cubase without shopping out, that's the point, use all instrument tracks in Cubase, then disable your tracks for your master temaplte(s) could be 1000-50,000+ and set up your groups and sends beforehand. I need to make a vdeo. No midi tracks going out, no zillions of audio tracks going in. You can create a template with 5000+ tracks and hit a key from your keyboard and/or Lemur and load, it's all routed to wherever you want, group tracks, master whatever...

InLight-Tone

What I'm mostly trying to get across is that with Cubase 8.5.20, and disabled track template(s) and a decent computer or laptop and SSD or better PCIE drives you can eliminate the complication of VEPro5-6 and midi tracks completely...

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I understand what you are saying and have tried to do that but none of the Midi Routing is remembered for me when re-enabling the tracks. I built a template in 8.5.20 after trashing prefs. If this could work I would love it!

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
What I'm mostly trying to get across is that with Cubase 8.5.20, and disabled track template(s) and a decent computer or laptop and SSD or better PCIE drives you can eliminate the complication of VEPro5-6 and midi tracks completely...
Here's a scenario though. Say you are working on a massively densely orchestrated track, piece, cue/s etc and working on a disabled track template. What will you do when your cpu and ram can't keep up with the demands of all the VIs? Nothing is going to surely beat having mutlple cpus, more ram via Slaves. The disabled template is a great idea as long as you will never need to use too much but what if you do?

5Lives

Doesn't VEP also let you run at a higher buffer than your DAW, even if running on the same machine? And if you're using Logic, VEP 6 allows you to take advantage of disabled tracks for the first time.

azeteg

• New code base for about 70% less CPU usage for all internal Vienna Ensemble Pro calculations
  • Rewritten user interface code resulting in 80% less CPU usage for graphics
What exactly does this mean in the real world? Does it mean that the CPU % in the bottom right hand corner of the metaframe will be lower in version 6 than version 5?

Or is it just more efficient "under the hood"?

It means that the audio engine of VEPro itself has been heavily optimized. This includes code for mixing, metering, panning, sends and so on. Now, the complete CPU load of your project will most probably be heavily influenced by the instruments you are using, naturally I can not influence the way those plugins are processed internally.

There are however optimizations in threading and synchronization, that will improve the overall performance also for third-party plugins. In my tests during development, with Kontakt-based instruments, I could run about 10% more instruments and voices before audio started breaking up in VEP6 compared to VEP5.

The lowered graphics CPU usage will be mostly noticed by the application staying snappier and more responsive during heavy loads.

URL

I understand what you are saying and have tried to do that but none of the Midi Routing is remembered for me when re-enabling the tracks. I built a template in 8.5.20 after trashing prefs. If this could work I would love it!
Same for me, all my routings sends etc cubase do remember but not the vep 6 instrument track connection that I have to connect again when I wanna use and activate a instrument track connected to a pc-slave.

Last edited:

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I'm actually really interested in how the VEPro 6 Disable Track feature is working out? I haven't upgraded yet because I know if I do, I won't get any work done and I'll play around with it until I pass out.

mc_deli

n trepreneur
Doesn't VEP also let you run at a higher buffer than your DAW, even if running on the same machine? And if you're using Logic, VEP 6 allows you to take advantage of disabled tracks for the first time.
In Logic you can enable the on/off buttons and disable tracks (if that's what you mean)

nas

That's not truly disabling tracks in the same way Cubase does. It bypasses plugins on the track but it doesn't purge the samples from RAM. This will finally be possible with VEPRo 6

That has always been something I haven't quite figured out with LPX. Thanks for clearing that up.

robhoward83

Hope this is the best place to put this but...

I love VEP 6. CPU has taken a nose-dive in resource use. One template with about 150 instruments loaded went from 5% load to about 2% load. From about 30%+ while playing down to 20-25%.

The update was flawless.

And I love the slick design. Overall - highly recommended! Glad I spent the money.

ChristopherDoucet

Follow on Twitter @DoucetComposer
Just curious, has anyone had an issues since the update came out?

Is it a smooth transition from VePro 5 to VePro 6? Will the meta frames I built in v5, automatically convert to v6?

Any issues anyone is having with cubase pro 8.5? I REALLY want to upgrade but i am paranoid to do it until I know it's working for others out there.

Thanks

Matt Riley

Just curious, has anyone had an issues since the update came out?

Is it a smooth transition from VePro 5 to VePro 6? Will the meta frames I built in v5, automatically convert to v6?

Any issues anyone is having with cubase pro 8.5? I REALLY want to upgrade but i am paranoid to do it until I know it's working for others out there.

Thanks
I'm in the same boat. On the VSL forum it looks like the issues have not been fixed with the latest update but will be fixed on the next one.

ChristopherDoucet

Follow on Twitter @DoucetComposer
Hope this is the best place to put this but...

I love VEP 6. CPU has taken a nose-dive in resource use. One template with about 150 instruments loaded went from 5% load to about 2% load. From about 30%+ while playing down to 20-25%.

The update was flawless.

And I love the slick design. Overall - highly recommended! Glad I spent the money.
what DAW are you using it with?
Thanks

Top Bottom