What's new

Video via a third monitor on Mac Pro- new video card?

Honestly i've always had some questionings about what kind of marketing team gives a thumbs-up to a product name that sounds like can'o'pus

Pus is one of a few words shared by the french and english languages and it surely is not one you would like to associate your product with in either languages imho... ; P

Claude

Hey Larry,

Wouldn't say you are dense but you're definitely 102.

Happy birthday!

Claude

On the bottom of the page it says:

Supports Clone or Extended display modes
Can easily clone the main display, or extend left, right, above, or below. Can be rotated left, right, or upside-down.

So you could clone your screen where you movie is being played.

I know this is counterintuitive, but I only have one monitor. If I clone my screen, the VO talent (who is the client, btw) gets to see Cubase in all its glory.

In the topic title you are saying you want the video on the 3th monitor. What are you using the second monitor for.

In the topic title you are saying you want the video on the 3th monitor. What are you using the second monitor for.

Yes, unclear, sorry. What I was wondering was if I would need a second monitor on my main system to then copy that over to a third monitor in the booth. Really, I'd just like two monitors-my DAW monitor showing me Cubase and a small QT window and a remote monitor showing only a full screen QT window.

I dont think this is possible. But monitors these days are dirt cheap, or cant you borrow one.

:)

Put 2 (A and B ) monitors on your Cubase machine in extended mode. Drag the QT video window to monitor B

Add a usb to dvi adapter. So you could connect a 3th monitor. Clone monitor B to monitor C and put monitor C where ever you want.

You also need a 30ft dvi male to female cable ofcourse (if you are using dvi) they cost about 40 bucks or so.

:)

Put 2 (A and B ) monitors on your Cubase machine in extended mode. Drag the QT video window to monitor B

Add a usb to dvi adapter. So you could connect a 3th monitor. Clone monitor B to monitor C and put monitor C where ever you want.

You also need a 30ft dvi male to female cable ofcourse (if you are using dvi) they cost about 40 bucks or so.

I'm gonna try it exactly like that. Thanks!

I think this is going around in circles. That's the same thing I suggested at the beginning, only it uses DVI rather than HDMI.

You're still going to run into the problem of needing two QT video windows open - one for yourself and one for your VO person. Either that or he/she sees your mirrored Cubase monitor.

Also, can you really run DVI cables 40'? I had to buy an expensive Gefen box to extend my DVI-D monitor an extra 10'. (DVI-D is higher-resolution, but still...)

I hate that word "expensive."

Nick- yes, but you made your suggestion sans explanation. It does look like 3 monitors will be required rather than two. Let's face it, you're terse. You're a busy man. You're Nick Batzdorf, damnit.

I do too, but I'm just asking the question - you shouldn't take that as "it won't work."

DVI-D uses a lot more bandwidth, at least it does when you have a 30" monitor.

I do too, but I'm just asking the question - you shouldn't take that as "it won't work."

DVI-D uses a lot more bandwidth, at least it does when you have a 30" monitor.

Well, as long as the picture is ok and motion is fluid for my VO/client guy, good enough is probably good enough. It looks like the whole investment is about $90 tops. That's reasonable enough to take a flyer on. Might even be able to return stuff if bought through Anazon.

The issue with trying to extend the 30" Cinema Display was that you got so much video noise in the screen that it was unusable. These days the video cards may have higher output, but when I got mine the signal needed to be retransmitted. So you had your choice of a $300 Gefen box or a $400 KVM switch that did that.

I made the mistake of getting the $400 KVM switch, which takes about six seconds to switch between machines unless you buy another $100 box for each machine. Thank goodness I didn't buy those!

These days I use screen sharing anyway.

Top Bottom