What's new

[VIDEO] Offline Stems in Logic

Why All Tracks as Audio Files?
I find the new exporting scheme with batch renaming very convenient!

In my case command click on the track stacks and Export x number Tracks as Audio Files does the job or as suggested before realtime stemming does the job as well.

Why All Tracks as Audio Files?
I find the new exporting scheme with batch renaming very convenient!

In my case command click on the track stacks and Export x number Tracks as Audio Files does the job or as suggested before realtime stemming does the job as well.

I've tried that originally what happened was, it would export all files within the track stack. But thanks to your post on this, I tried it again. The problem is this: you need to use CMD+clicks to select the tracks, and NOT shift+clicks. If you shift click tracks, even if track stacks are closed, it will assume you are selecting each individual track inside the track stacks and export all the innards of the track stack.

So.. Thank you very much, this solves an annoying problem I couldn't find an answer to.

You just gotta remember - CMD+CLICK!

While on this topic, I am getting a strange naming behavior from Logic on exports - When I export stems, during the export it will have '01 strings.wav, 02 Piano.wav etc.' as I've named them. But after the export is done, it renames them with a '_1' suffix '01 strings_1.wav 02 Piano_1.wav'

Am I doing something wrong? I am putting these in a completely empty folder for the first time and it's doing this.

While on this topic, I am getting a strange naming behavior from Logic on exports - When I export stems, during the export it will have '01 strings.wav, 02 Piano.wav etc.' as I've named them. But after the export is done, it renames them with a '_1' suffix '01 strings_1.wav 02 Piano_1.wav'

Am I doing something wrong? I am putting these in a completely empty folder for the first time and it's doing this.
Just post a picture of your export dialog window.

Sure! Thanks for taking the time - I have also tried a full system reset, same thing keeps happening. Each time I have tried in different new and empty folders, making sure there are no duplicates.

Export Dialog:
Export Dialog.png

Files During Export:
During Export.png

Files After Export is Completed:
After Export.png

I was just told on the logicprohelp forum that this naming behavior is normal and not a bug. Can anyone confirm this?

Seems like a very inconvenient naming convention. Unless there is a duplicate in the folder being exported to, I don't think anyone wants this. It makes it just that bit more difficult to transfer stems to another DAW / engineer. Looks messy for no good reason and no one wants a _1 on every channel of their project when they import it.

I was just told on the logicprohelp forum that this naming behavior is normal and not a bug. Can anyone confirm this?

Seems like a very inconvenient naming convention. Unless there is a duplicate in the folder being exported to, I don't think anyone wants this. It makes it just that bit more difficult to transfer stems to another DAW / engineer. Looks messy for no good reason and no one wants a _1 on every channel of their project when they import it.

In Finder, a little workaround:
- Select all your audio files with the "_1" in the end.
- Right click/"Rename x items".
- Replace text/ Find "_1" / Replace with "". [leave that space blank]
- Hit rename.
- Boom! All your files wont' have that "_1" in the end.

It's pretty fast, actually!

In Finder, a little workaround:
- Select all your audio files with the "_1" in the end.
- Right click/"Rename x items".
- Replace text/ Find "_1" / Replace with "". [leave that space blank]
- Hit rename.
- Boom! All your files wont' have that "_1" in the end.

It's pretty fast, actually!

Wow, that is the best workaround I've heard in a while! Thanks - that really helps :)

This is how I do my stems. I do it offline but either could work. I use an app called Keyboard Maestro which automates this process. I then drag and drop the files from the Finder and create a summing stack of the stems and check them carefully! I have now created variations of this workflow some which will bounce just one at a time, one that waits for you to press a key once finished each stem. I want to make one which can wait until the bouncing is done by monitoring a pixel but I haven’t had much success with that in the past.
This really takes the tedium out of bouncing stems for me.

Top Bottom