What's new

Vibrato on lowest note?!

Bluemount Score

How does e.g. a violin play vibrato on it's lowest G note? How isn't this impossible?

I'm sure there is a very simple answer to this. Just came into my mind. If I remember correctly, the sample libraries I own offer that low G vibrato. So there must be a way... Maybe I'm stupid.

anyway many do get some kind of vibration by vibrating the G up an octave on the D string...
Correct. Works for any string. Vibrate an octave up on the next string. Note that it won't sound anything like an "actual" vibrated note but it will work. Start the video about 54 seconds in:

Correct. Works for any string. Vibrate an octave up on the next string. Note that it won't sound anything like an "actual" vibrated note but it will work.

This is the only thing that can reasonably be done. When writing for the bottom string, I've found it safest to simply assume a change in tone and write accordingly.

In Wagner’s Tristan and Isolde - the Prelude to Act III - the violins start with the open g to glorious effect.

Well, it played initially but now unavailable? Hunt it down, it’s a great example of making use of what might be considered a limitation in an instrument into a virtue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom