What's new

VEPro with Logic - Create a Reverb send with VEP hosting the reverb

garyhiebner

I'm trying to figure out how to create a reverb send in Logic. But I want the reverb unit to be in a VEPro instance and then on a track in Logic I can use a bus to send a part of the signal to it. From videos I've seen I've only seen how to use the Audio Event to switch the output form a track to a channel on a VEP instance where you then add the plug-in. Hope this makes sense but I want it to work the same way I would creat e normal send in Logic.

What I tried is a set up a Bus in Logic. Then I added VSL Audio Input, assigned it to an instance and set an input to stereo 1-2.

Then in that instance I have created a new Input Channel, assigned it to the same input. And then have added a reverb plugin to this.

But then in Logic when I try send some of the track to the bus I can see the meters moving in the VEP instance. But I can't hear anything in Logic. Is there a step I am missing?

Don’t you need an instance of VePro on an Instrument track as a return in Logic? It also needs to be connected to your Vepro project.

I find this clumsy at best, think I tried this a while back and abandoned.

Don’t you need an instance of VePro on an Instrument track as a return in Logic? It also needs to be connected to your Vepro project.

I find this clumsy at best, think I tried this a while back and abandoned.

I think I tried that as well. I created a new Instrument track. Connected it to the same Instance, but still no luck with getting the routing right

I'm trying to figure out how to create a reverb send in Logic.
You need two Logic Aux channels and a VEP Instance "Bus" channel to do that. The 1st Logic Aux behaves as a reverb "Send" and the 2nd as a reverb "Return". This routing prevents the Reverb audio feedback.

I have created a short Video tutorial. Watch and try.
Note: This example is a basic one so you can modify it with VEP extra Aux Instruments channels routing etc.

Last edited:
You need two Logic Aux channels and a VEP Instance "Bus" channel to do that. The 1st Logic Aux behaves as a reverb "Send" and the 2nd as a reverb "Return". This routing prevents the Reverb audio feedback.

I have created a short Video tutorial. Watch and try.
Note: This example is a basic one so you can modify it with VEP extra Aux Instruments channels routing etc.

Thanks, so from my understanding does that mean I can only use the reverb on instruments within the same instance? So I can't create like a global reverb that is hosted in VEPro, and and the instruments in all the instances can access it, plus in Logic, other Logic instruments can be bussed to that VEPro reverb as well?

Thanks, so from my understanding does that mean I can only use the reverb on instruments within the same instance? So I can't create like a global reverb that is hosted in VEPro, and and the instruments in all the instances can access it, plus in Logic, other Logic instruments can be bussed to that VEPro reverb as well?

Your understanding is correct, no global reverb that all the instruments within all the individual projects can send to.

So I can't create like a global reverb that is hosted in VEPro, and the instruments in all the instances can access it, plus in Logic, other Logic instruments can be bussed to that VEPro reverb as well?
As Jay pointed you cannot use such global Reverb.

By the way we at AG are going to release VEP Multi Instance MEGA - v2.0 (I hope in two weeks).

It will be a free update which will offer up to 8192 MIDI Channels per VEP Instance. The update will come with professional Cubase & Logic VST3 and AU3 orchestral templates plus AG Lemur & TouchOSC remote workstations, Cubase Expression Maps & Logic Art Sets.
Hosting a system Reverb in a MEGA Instance (128 Kontakts with ABCD ports access, 8192 Channels) is a good alternative.

PS. By the way, we are running August 30% OFF sale, so VEPM is very cheep at the moment.

Your understanding is correct, no global reverb that all the instruments within all the individual projects can send to.
That sucks, I thought it would make so much sense using VEPro to have a global reverb, much like how would have an outboard Reverb effects processor unit back in the day. And it would take the load off your DAW if you using quite a few CPU intensive reverbs. Guess out of luck on that one :)

As Jay pointed you cannot use such global Reverb.

By the way we at AG are going to release VEP Multi Instance MEGA - v2.0 (I hope in two weeks).

It will be a free update which will offer up to 8192 MIDI Channels per VEP Instance. The update will come with professional Cubase & Logic VST3 and AU3 orchestral templates plus AG Lemur & TouchOSC remote workstations, Cubase Expression Maps & Logic Art Sets.
Hosting a system Reverb in a MEGA Instance (128 Kontakts with ABCD ports access, 8192 Channels) is a good alternative.

PS. By the way, we are running August 30% OFF sale, so VEPM is very cheep at the moment.

That sounds great. Can't wait to check that template out.

I think you can.

Create a VE Pro instance with your reverb, and set its input to, say, 1&2 [EDIT: I mean set the VE Pro's channel strip to ins 1&2]

Put a VE Pro plug-in on a Logic Instrument track and connect to the VE Pro reverb instance (using inputs 1&2 ). This is your reverb return.

For the reverb send, put a VE Pro Audio Input plug-in on an Aux track and connect it to the VE Pro instance. Any Logic tracks, including ones coming from other VE Pro instances, can send to that Aux to be forwarded the reverb,.

Last edited:
I think you can.

Create a VE Pro instance with your reverb, and set its input to, say, 1&2 [EDIT: I mean set the VE Pro's channel strip to ins 1&2]

Put a VE Pro plug-in on a Logic Instrument track and connect to the VE Pro reverb instance (using inputs 1&2 ). This is your reverb return.

For the reverb send, put a VE Pro Audio Input plug-in on an Aux track and connect it to the VE Pro instance. Any Logic tracks, including ones coming from other VE Pro instances, can send to that Aux to be forwarded the reverb,.
Have you tried that Nick or you improvise?
I think your method cannot work as you describe.

I'm away of my equipment right now. Anyway I have an idea which will be 100% working like the OP wishes.
I'll try to find time to create a short Video soon.

I have created a complete step by step tutorial about the question.

How to create a system Reverb in VEP and use it via Logic Instrument sends

1. Create a new “Dummy” Software Instrument and name it “Rev.Return”.

2. Create a new VEP Instance and name it “SYS REVERB”.

3. Assign the Master Bus Input to IN 1/ IN 2 and insert your favorite Reverb FX.

4. Load VEP into the “Rev.Return” Instrument track and connect it to the newly created VEP “SYS REVERB” instance.

5. Create Bus sends for all Logic Instruments you want to use with the VEP System reverb.

6. Select the Aux send in the Mixer, name it “Rev.Send”, insert a VEP Audio Input plugin into the Aux send channel and connect it to the “SYS REVERB” VEP instance.

7. Select the “Dummy” reverb return track and hide it to prevent audio loopback (caused by track arming selection).

Watch the Video tutor below to get a full idea how it works.

I think you can.

Create a VE Pro instance with your reverb, and set its input to, say, 1&2.

One of us is misunderstanding. Gary wants to have 1 reverb open in VE Pro and have every instrument in all the individual projects utilize it.
I have created a complete step by step tutorial about the question.

How to create a system Reverb in VEP and use it via Logic Instrument sends

1. Create a new “Dummy” Software Instrument and name it “Rev.Return”.

2. Create a new VEP Instance and name it “SYS REVERB”.

3. Assign the Master Bus Input to IN 1/ IN 2 and insert your favorite Reverb FX.

4. Load VEP into the “Rev.Return” Instrument track and connect it to the newly created VEP “SYS REVERB” instance.

5. Create Bus sends for all Logic Instruments you want to use with the VEP System reverb.

6. Select the Aux send in the Mixer, name it “Rev.Send”, insert a VEP Audio Input plugin into the Aux send channel and connect it to the “SYS REVERB” VEP instance.

7. Select the “Dummy” reverb return track and hide it to prevent audio loopback (caused by track arming selection).

Watch the Video tutor below to get a full idea how it works.

Very creative and if you say it works, I am sure it does.

But two things occur to me:

1. That is a lot less direct than what he was asking for, unless I misunderstand, which is to open a reverb in an instance of VEPro and have all the instruments in all the instances in the Server project send to it from within VE Pro so that the audio comes into Logic Pro already being processed in a VEPro server template. In that way, the template could work also with multiple DAWs.

2. How the hell is that an improvement over hosting the reverb in Logic and sending to it?

Once again, not faulting your solution, just can’t figure out a rationale for doing it.

Last edited:
One of us is misunderstanding.
I think you are :).
It would be polite not over post my new tutorial at least a few hours, so the VI users can get some useful technical info.

I posted two Video tutorials here which match the Gary's wish.

1. In the 1st Video tutor I hosted the system Reverb in a VEP Instrument instance.

After that Gary asked for a new solution where the System Reverb hosted in VEP can be used by all VEP Instances. I re-read that Gary needs heavy CPU Reverbs, that's why he wants to host them in VEP to free some DAW CPU resorces.

2. In the 2nd Video tutor I show how to host a system Reverb in VEP and use it by all VEP Instances using Logic Instrument sends (it is mentioned in the original Gary's post).

I know that all of us have different opinion about such solutions, however I'm here to follow the OP needs and provide a correspondent technical solution.

Again, not faulting your information. I know you know your stuff.

I doubt however that it saves much CPU over hosting it in Logic and sending to it. Am I wrong?

I doubt however that it saves much CPU over hosting it in Logic and sending to it. Am I wrong?
You can start a new tread about that (as far as I see you try to move the topic in another direction).

Here I'm doing my best to follow the topic OP requirements and provide the best technical support. I do not want to advice the OP what is the best Reverb hosting etc.

You can start a new tread about that.
Here I'm doing my best to follow the topic OP requirements and provide the best technical support. I do not want to advice the OP what is the best Reverb hosting etc.

Understood.

Reactions: A.G
One of us is misunderstanding. Gary wants to have 1 reverb open in VE Pro and have every instrument in all the individual projects utilize it.

He can do that if he routes all the sends - which include "returns" from VE Pro instances - through a Logic Aux.

No videos are necessary - just what I wrote above!

Top Bottom