What's new

VEPro 7 Preorder available with Epic Orchestra 2.0

Ben

VSL
Hi there,

VSL just announced VEPro 7: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Software/Vienna_Ensemble_Pro
It includes the Epic Orchestra 2.0 with 73GB samples (old Epic Orchestra ported to Synchron Player + some of Synchron Instruments samples (SYN Strings I, SYN FX Strings I, SYN App. Strings, Syn Cham Strings, SYN Dim Brass II, SYN Power Drums, SYN Smart Spheres).

You can preorder for 145€ instead of 195€ or upgrade your existing license for 75€.

I never used this software, except for Epic Orchestra do this came with a standard library or is it only the "box" to fill with other VSTs?

Should I buy it with only one workstation (without using slave machines)?

Thank you.

The Epic orchestra is only bonus content on top of the VEPro. Some nice instruments but far from a complete, very limited instruments and articulations. So if you don't need VEPro I would not recommend to get it just for the instruments.

I use VEPro on a single computer and it has some advantages:
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/is-vsl-ensemble-pro-worth-it-for-single-machine.61914/
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/still-confused-about-using-vepro-on-a-single-machine.35961/

Thank you. I'm using Reaper and it's already a great efficency on CPU with a very very big template (883 tracks right now). So I read some of the posts there but I'm asking myself if it's worth the way on my machine.

I've a pretty powerful workstation and my template load pretty fast (it gest slower as I put more instruments online obviously) but in terms of organization it's a bit difficult to manage, plus my projects are very big (almost 1 Gb per file) because I use single istances of Kontakt for every instrument.

I'd like to do everything in my DAW and I fear experiencing some type of lag or delay by using VEP.

VEPRO is the best creation of Vienna. Very stable with tons of features and they are always improving it.
I wouldn't be able to have my template they way it is without it.

Thank you, I know you are using slave machines so obviously it's a must have for you, I don't know if I could use it with enough advantages on my configuration, I don't have slave machines, I have only one big workstation.

I love VEP and VEP 6 in particular. I’ve stabilized my setup and (mostly) everything is working well.
Let’s wait for the actual full feature set of VEP 7.
So far it seems like a vehicle for pushing Epic Orchestra 2.0.
Integrated FX are nice but how more many compressors or eqs do I need? Ha ha
Let’s wait and see... a real reason to upgrade?

One major advantage is being able to keep your template loaded while switching projects. If you have a huge template this is a pretty significant timesaver. Some templates can take 15 minutes or longer to load.

True but I often turn on my PC, work maybe an hour or two on a project and then I turn it off. Maybe could be useful to load tons of instruments faster. Actually I keep all my tracks offline in my template and I only put online the track I use on every project, this means that my template loads very fast and only the project after a while load slower.

Could you put tracks in some kind of offline mode in VEP? I mean some mode to keep them turned off to not use ram unless you need it.

Thank you, I know you are using slave machines so obviously it's a must have for you, I don't know if I could use it with enough advantages on my configuration, I don't have slave machines, I have only one big workstation.
I would use VEPRO even with one machine. Just the fact that you can switch between projects without the need of unloading and reloading saves you a lot of time.

I wonder if they will have a grace period for those who have bought VEP 6 a couple of weeks ago. :-p

I wonder if they will have a grace period for those who have bought VEP 6 a couple of weeks ago. :-p
VSL has a 30 days return policy, so in theory you could return your license and buy the VEP7. I would write a mail to the support and ask for a free upgrade because of this.

I would use VEPRO even with one machine. Just the fact that you can switch between projects without the need of unloading and reloading saves you a lot of time.

Ok but I still have to load it a startup so, since I usually work for maybe two hours per day on a project I already load it once.

Maybe on my side the advantages could be that I should have smaller project files, maybe VEP load faster, maybe if some instrument crashes Reaper will not etc...
But I need more information about it, cause I don't know if worth the money in my case. Is there some sort of features list about VEP7?

Sorry if I keep asking but I have to be sure about this software in my typical use case.

Yes you can.

Thank you.

Ok but I still have to load it a startup so, since I usually work for maybe two hours per day on a project I already load it once.

Maybe on my side the advantages could be that I should have smaller project files, maybe VEP load faster, maybe if some instrument crashes Reaper will not etc...
But I need more information about it, cause I don't know if worth the money in my case. Is there some sort of features list about VEP7?

Sorry if I keep asking but I have to be sure about this software in my typical use case.

Thank you.
Daniele, I think having an independent software that can host instruments and any other plugin is a great advantage by itself. I basically use VEPRO to connect the AU to the DAW but I am not sure if the load speed is better with it because it's been a long time I've been using it and I cannot make comparisons. It's really fast though!
I usually keep all computers loaded with VEPRO and whenever I have to go away I disconnect the project and put them to sleep. Once I am back it is just a matter of reconnecting the project to VEPRO again.

Daniele, I think having an independent software that can host instruments and any other plugin is a great advantage by itself. I basically use VEPRO to connect the AU to the DAW but I am not sure if the load speed is better with it because it's been a long time I've been using it and I cannot make comparisons. It's really fast though!
I usually keep all computers loaded with VEPRO and whenever I have to go away I disconnect the project and put them to sleep. Once I am back it is just a matter of reconnecting the project to VEPRO again.

Ok, I'll try to watch at some demo video to understand how to configure it in Reaper.

Basically it's like loading a VST on a track and then send midi tracks to it, am I right? Doing like this means I'm limited to 16 tracks...

Is there some kind of date when this will came out? If I buy it right now it is only a preorder so I haven't anything in my hands, why this silence about technical specifications and features?

Basically it's like loading a VST on a track and then send midi tracks to it, am I right? Doing like this means I'm limited to 16 tracks...
with VST3 you are not limited to 16 channels. But even if your DAW does not support VST3 you can use the included event-pklugin, that gives you additional 16 channels per plugin. And/or you can use additional VEPro instances. Works just fine.

with VST3 you are not limited to 16 channels. But even if your DAW does not support VST3 you can use the included event-pklugin, that gives you additional 16 channels per plugin. And/or you can use additional VEPro instances. Works just fine.

Now I have to see if I can use one track as midi channel and audio channel (for the mixer) and if put tracks online/offline from VEP is as efficient as doing it directly in Reaper.

While I'm orchestrating a track I put online the tracks I need and I should do it in VEP if I use VEP so I have to open VEP, find the instrument and put it online.

Hoorah for VEP7. But will it reduce the time taken to load up large templates? Unlikely if you use Kontakt as Kontakt is already a major bottleneck when loading templates.
For our studio I don't really see much of an advantage to upgrade, especially as we have 11 servers running VEP6 (plus a spare VEP6 license)- that's quite an upgrade investment just for the sake of having the latest version.

Top Bottom