What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

My template opens up with everything disabled, so in my case I don’t think it has anything to do with a specific plugin. They are mostly Kontakt anyway....

That does question whether it is a specific plugin or not. In my case I still suspect it might be plugin related. I can see some of the instances connect fast while a couple of them seem to take a long time. When I get more time I will try to investigate a bit more but I am not confident I will be able to pin point my issues.

VEP itself has a VST3 version, but itself cannot host VST3 plugins (for now). But they are working on this feature, it just didn't make it in the first release. We have just to wait for an update in near feature :)
I need to host VST3 badly. Must have. Just take my wallet and fix it. @azeteg hurry!

hopefully they will, but VST3 hosting is a big change from VST2 programmatically. If they didn't do it in VEP7, I doubt it will happen in VEP 7.1. Maybe Vep8. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Since VSL insists to say that the less instances you use, the better it is for your computer, I would like to create my template basing it on a single instance, lot of channels, folders and sub folders to keep them organized.

However, I’m on Logic. More than 16 channels for instance is only allowed by AU3 (unless I want to use obsolete workarounds - that I don't want). What's your experience with the AU3 beta? I don't see many updates on this new feature.

Paolo

So what is the general consensus now regarding Logic with VEP 7 and number of instances? Is it more efficient to use an instance per instrument as has been recommended in the past ? or much fewer instances and populate them with more multi-timbral / multi-instruments?

Mind you the question is specifically for Logic users with VEP 7.

So what is the general consensus now regarding Logic with VEP 7 and number of instances? Is it more efficient to use an instance per instrument as has been recommended in the past ? or much fewer instances and populate them with more multi-timbral / multi-instruments?

I continue to use a lot of instances in VE Pro7 with Logic with no problem at all.

On a GUI point of view, I would prefer to use separate instances for each section. They are just easier to navigate.

But another issue, once confirmed that more instances are no problem at all, is how to use MIR if one relies on it as a reverb. If I remember correctly, using it as a plugin would serve all instances at the same time.

Paolo

Last edited:
You can put an instance of mir inside each vep instance and just use the same room for each one. You just won’t see all players on one stage. Or you can use the au version of mirpro in logic’s Mixer, either way

Personally I don’t think it makes much difference in terms of performance, especially once you are working with more then a couple tracks of mixdown. Choose the workflow that suits you.

Reactions: nas
In the end, I will go with one VEPRO instance for section. Better still, one for each 16 MIDI channels, until the AU3 plugin is not completely tried and tested.

Mixing will happen mostly inside MIR for acoustic pieces. Volume and pan will be replaced by onstage positioning.

As for EQ and compression, replacing Logic effects with the ones in VEPRO is something that I planned to do, since the presets tailored for orchestral sounds are a better starting point than Logic's mostly pop/rock/edm ones.

Final effects, like limiting and glue reverb, will probably happen in Logic's final output channel strip.

Paolo

I've been going with one instance per instrument, however, a single instrument / instance might have several Kontakt instruments i.e articulations within it. It suits my workflow and now with the vertical view of all instances in VEP 7 it corresponds nicely with my LPX tracks.

I just wish it was possible to create a folder in VEP 7 for several instances and switch that folder on or off as needed. I asked Paul at VSL about this but I guess its not how the folders work... you can't place a bunch of instances together inside a folder, just instruments/channels inside a single instance and put those in a folder.

I just wish it was possible to create a folder in VEP 7 for several instances
If I understand correctly, tabs corresponding to instances are a representation of separate programs. They appear in the same “console", but are separate processes.

Paolo

As far as i'm concerned AU3 is tried and tested and working perfectly fine. The only thing that is a bit confusing is how to setup more then 16 tracks in LogicPro. Once you do it a few times you will see its not hard. I made that 10-instance template you can always start with that.. it has 1270 tracks, so just delete a bunch of them and you will have 4 sections in 4 instances and should work perfectly fine...

I've been going with one instance per instrument, however, a single instrument / instance might have several Kontakt instruments i.e articulations within it. It suits my workflow and now with the vertical view of all instances in VEP 7 it corresponds nicely with my LPX tracks.

I just wish it was possible to create a folder in VEP 7 for several instances and switch that folder on or off as needed. I asked Paul at VSL about this but I guess its not how the folders work... you can't place a bunch of instances together inside a folder, just instruments/channels inside a single instance and put those in a folder.

correct. I don't know if they are separate running processes or not, but each VEP instance is like a running "server" on its own that is basically isolated from the other instances. That's why they can't share any busses or share any folders or share anything else really. they are like completely separate VEP servers, each instance, that just happen to be accessible through one application window.

Top Bottom