What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

My main template consist mainly VSL instruments (all VI woodwinds, Strings, Synchronized dimension brass), some instruments from PLAY (orchestral percussions & Hollywood Brass) and very few Kontakt instruments. Total of less than 100 midi tracks in my template (I use expression map from Cubase to change articulations).

I decided to give VEP 7 a try today. After installation, I open a cue which I’ve done mock-up 2 weeks ago, I play a part with only 5 midi channels of Strings (orchestral Strings with integrated MIR Pro) and the play back with glitches (110 bpm with 16th note string runs on only Violins I & II). I looped couple times with that section and glitches are always there.

There were no performance issue in VEP 6, everything was silky smooth during composition and playing back. I’ve checked the VEP 7 preference that stays the same with VEP 6.

I run everything on one single Mac Pro 6,1 (12 cores, 128GB ram, all SSD via thunderbolt).

Unfortunately I have to roll back to VEP 6 at the moment. The only break I have will be early next year, I’m so packed up in 2019. I guess I’ll stay with VEP 6 until next break.

That’s the detail of my story with VEP 7 today. I still have faith in VEP 7, truly believe team VSL will make it a better!

Happy composing everyone!

Reactions: Ben
Quick question: I’m building a clone of a rig that needs to stay on VEP 6 for now. VEP 7 is the only license available I can find to buy. Would a VEP 7 license allow use of the VEP 6 installation, or am I out of luck?

Quick question: I’m building a clone of a rig that needs to stay on VEP 6 for now. VEP 7 is the only license available I can find to buy. Would a VEP 7 license allow use of the VEP 6 installation, or am I out of luck?
As far as I know VEP6 should run with a VEP7 license. But if you want to be sure, just contact [email protected] directly. I am sure that they will provide a solution.

Just for you to know I finally find out the cause of my VEP issues, I copy/paste what it is already written on vsl forum:

Here's how to reproduce it:

1. Create 1 track in Reaper for the main plugin (VST or VST3 is the same);
  2. Create 1 track for the Event Input plugin;
  3. Link everything to a VEP instance with some kontakt libraries loaded in.

Here we are, if every "Record ARM" button is disabled then you will have this problem, if one of two tracks has this button enabled the everything will works fine.

So in my template I obviously put off all of my arm buttons, this is why I had this problem.

VSL is working on a fix. ;)

Hope it helps.

Well tracked down Daniele - here's hoping they're as quick as fixing this as they have been with other known issues lately.

Thank you Guy. Well, at least now they have pointed down the cause, maybe they was already on it but this could be useful to other users.

I'm not a Logic user (Cubase) and I have an eq I like and use already. I'm not really sure why I would upgrade...? The new features don't really seem all that necessary to me. What am I missing here?

I'm not a Logic user (Cubase) and I have an eq I like and use already. I'm not really sure why I would upgrade...? The new features don't really seem all that necessary to me. What am I missing here?
I tried to make a list of all changes here: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/vep7-whats-new-and-improved-v7-0-799-2019-05-07.81869/

In short: The plugins are great, the presets are real time-savers, automation mapping is improved and much more.
And VST3 hosting is coming soon...

Everyone has different needs so some features will look more appealing than others. I am a Nuendo user (was on Cubase which is very similar) and I think the parameter automation improvements are much better and easier to use. Being able to search to add instruments is way easier now and now being able to disable folders are auto stable which is super cool. You can also change the tab view from horizontal at the top to vertical on the side which can make it easier to see and use. Also, epic orchestra 2 is nice to check out also. VST 3 coming will also be a big deal for cubase/nuendo users!

Everyone has different needs so some features will look more appealing than others. I am a Nuendo user (was on Cubase which is very similar) and I think the parameter automation improvements are much better and easier to use.
They were already pretty easy though, right? I'll have to watch your video again to see what you mean.

VST 3 coming will also be a big deal for cubase/nuendo users!
Why is that?

I am of the opinion that vep7 is not the best valued upgrade. I bought it to be current but the only new feature that I care that much about is improved plugin management. That was hardly worth the price. Everyone is different I just didn’t really need most of the new features. As it turns out it performs a little worse on my 5,1 macpro, though vsl is looking into that. And of course we lose our multi licenses.

I think if you’re happy with vep6 and don’t really need the new features then why do it? On the other hand if you would benefit from the new fx or any other features then go for it! But I do not view this as a must have upgrade honestly and I have personally rolled back to vep6

They were already pretty easy though, right? I'll have to watch your video again to see what you mean.

Why is that?
That wasn't my video but I thought was a good comprehended video about what was new in VE PRO 7.

Well, before you would just have Parameter 1-512 and now the name of the actual parameter shows up in the DAW so it isn't just #52 for example. There are also some copy paste options in VE PRO 7 that was brought up earlier in this thread as well.

VST 2 SDK is no longer supported by Steinberg so VST 3 is the new standard. It is good to know that while VST 2.4 plugins work in VE PRO, that VST 3 will soon as well.

Last edited:
Good comment on how the value of 7 will depend on exactly how you work. For me, even the parameter naming / mapping isn’t that big a deal, but the improvements to the automation Window (which only appeared post-launch) are worth it for admission alone, they speed up template making by an order of magnitude for me. As and when Wake On Midi appears, that will also be a game changer.

For many here, I think if in time VEP 7 encourages a fairly painless move to a disabled template, it’s value will become startling. I’ve already argued that upgrade cost can even be put against the cost of an entire slave computer (add in running, engineering and environmental savings). It’s already possible with 6, but even I concede it’s a PITA and a massive time-sink to set up in the first place. 7 makes it a relative breeze.

On top of that, I very much like side tabbed view, much easier to see what’s going on.

Newb warning here: Still trying to fully understand licensing:

Context:
I previously bought (have not used) a 3-pack of VEP6 licenses. I have 1 Vienna Key dongle (also unused).
I have bought 1 upgrade license for VEP7. I understand that if I install VIP7 I will lose the 2nd and 3rd licenses.
Please help me know if I need 1, 2, or 3 for my scenario.

My computers:
PC1: Office Studio.
PC2: Home Studio.
Macbook Pro: Portable, by itself or at the office studio (usually) or at home studio (occasionally).

I was planning to install VEP on all 3 computers for single use (To be able to run VEP on a DAW on each of the 3 computers as a single machine - one at a time; transferring the dongle).

AND to consider a versatile Slave Setup (if needed). This would involve running MBP as main DAW host (only 16 GB RAM), and using the Office PC (when at work) as a Slave (extra 32GB RAM); and then similarly be able to run a mirrored setup at home with the home PC Slave and the MBP host.

So, if only one Slave at a time: Does 1 license and 1 dongle suffice?
Or do I need a separate license per computer (i.e. 3) to have the described options?

Many thanks!
Craig

Also, someone previously wrote in essence:
- only one license is needed,
- unless... Cubase is your DAW.

Why would the choice of DAW affect how many licences or dongles are needed?

Also, someone previously wrote in essence:
- only one license is needed,
- unless... Cubase is your DAW.

Why would the choice of DAW affect how many licences or dongles are needed?
Hi Craig,

Cubase uses an Steinberg/eLicenser Dongle which is the same as what a Vienna Key is.

As far as VE PRO 7 is concerned, you only need a license of VE PRO 7 on the machine you plan to actually load virtual instruments inside of it. If you only plan to load virtual instruments on a slave machine, you only need 1 VE PRO 7 license. It doesn't require a VE PRO 7 license on the DAW machine "unless" you plan to load actual virtual instruments inside of VE PRO 7 on the same DAW machine. If you are simply opening up the VE PRO 7 plugin inside your DAW to connect to a slave machine, the DAW machine doesn't need a VE PRO 7 license.

Something I'm very interested into are the effects from the Vienna Suite. I sometimes need a hint of equalization, compression or limiting, and for this I use the transparent Platinum Compressor and Linear Phase EQ in Logic, in addition to the Analyzer.

What I see VEPRO 7 offering more than Logic is a set of presets made for orchestral sounds. Just a starting point, but as good as a map when you are lost in a big city. When dealing with reverbs, for example, I find MIRx presets very useful and more effective than my own settings made starting anew.

Is the quality of these plugins better than what I already have in Logic, or they would end up as mere duplicates?

Paolo

Top Bottom