What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

glad to hear that, there is hope. Right now Cubase and VEP are performing like crap for me on Cubase10 mac. Seriously heavy CPU usage and dropouts on a project that plays perfectly fine on Logic and even it was playing fine before on Cubase with VEP6. Not usable. Not sure if there is anything I can change to make it work better.

is there an easy way to disable tracks? Meaning if you have one template/veps project and you want to start every project with all tracks disabled.

Sorry to hear that Dewdman, I'd get active on the VSL support forum / support ticket, they appear to be in super-responsive mode. I'm sure you've been through all the basics of trying out various options to try to narrow down where the problem might be.

is there an easy way to disable tracks? Meaning if you have one template/veps project and you want to start every project with all tracks disabled.

In VEP7 there's the ability to disable an entire instance at a time, so that's a quick way to unload everything. The logic there is that if you enable again, it reverts to its previous state, which is exactly how I'd want it. So if you have 10 instruments, of which 3 are enabled, then disable the whole thing and re-enable it, it will re-load those 3 instances rather than instantly loading all 10. AFAIK there's no way to one-click load all. (This may be no bad thing - yesterday I made a stupid mistake and from my DAW accidentally loaded a vast amount of my template in one hit without me noticing. A few minutes later my computer Blue Screen of Deathed, which I'm pretty certain in retrospect was VEP running away with loading far, far too much and hitting a brick wall. Would be nice to put a RAM ceiling on VE Pro come to think of it).

In practice what I've been doing is as I build the template, once I'm done with a set of instruments I disabled them, so my default is always disabled.

Sorry to hear that Dewdman, I'd get active on the VSL support forum / support ticket, they appear to be in super-responsive mode. I'm sure you've been through all the basics of trying out various options to try to narrow down where the problem might be.

In VEP7 there's the ability to disable an entire instance at a time, so that's a quick way to unload everything. The logic there is that if you enable again, it reverts to its previous state, which is exactly how I'd want it. So if you have 10 instruments, of which 3 are enabled, then disable the whole thing and re-enable it, it will re-load those 3 instances rather than instantly loading all 10. AFAIK there's no way to one-click load all. (This may be no bad thing - yesterday I made a stupid mistake and from my DAW accidentally loaded a vast amount of my template in one hit without me noticing. A few minutes later my computer Blue Screen of Deathed, which I'm pretty certain in retrospect was VEP running away with loading far, far too much and hitting a brick wall. Would be nice to put a RAM ceiling on VE Pro come to think of it).

In practice what I've been doing is as I build the template, once I'm done with a set of instruments I disabled them, so my default is always disabled.
So you still keep disable pr. instrument and NOT the whole instance?

Yes, exactly. Doing it per instance is another pretty good way to go, but I'd have less in an instance if I did it that way. That would sort of work visually well with the new side bar tabs - have all your libraries in a tab each and then at the start of a project enable the ones you need. You'd likely get through more RAM that way though, and I do prefer the piecemeal stuff. Some libraries are huge on their own, and I might only need an instrument or two from them, so a per-instance is a bit of a halfway house in that regard.

On Cubase 10 it’s working very smoothly.
Took out yesterday to set everything up according to what Guy Rowland was suggesting here (thanks!) with everything disabled in VEPRO 7 on my slave and the memory footprint went from almost full (64GB) to 5GB.
Almost no CPU usage on idle.
Audio performance meter in Cubase showing barely any activity in my template with about 1000 tracks.
Happy days. Have to start thinking about what other libraries I can stuff onto my slave now :)
This new automation feature is a big time saver.

I tried to reload Reaper and VEP and the problem seems gone, it gave me an exception error when the problem happened.
It seems ok after a restart.

Well I think it all depends on how you set your instances. If you group many instruments for each of them then maybe you don't need to use all of them but only a few for every project, so by enabling all the instance at once could result in a ram load that maybe you don't need.
I leave enabled only the instruments I use most often and then I disable everything.

Now I need to understand well the preserve function.
For example: I build a template with VEP, then while I'm using it in a project I think that I could ad a certain instrument for this and my template for future projects. If I add it and then I save the server project the next time I open it in my template what could I find? All the instance enabled like in the project?

I don't now if it's clear what I mean.

Huge thanks to VSL - both my issues fixed in the coming build which they kindly forwarded to me to check.

Not only does it now read my UVI Workstation and all the automation windows glitches are fixed, there's a whole new feature which I think is golden - In the Automation Window, it is now possible to drag and drop with modifiers an event, and it copies and auto-increments a parameter as follows:

• Hold Alt and drag the entry to another entry: assignment copied
  • Hold Alt-Shift and drag the entry to another entry: assignment copied, CC incremented
  • Hold Alt-Cmd (cntrl Windows) and drag the entry to another entry: assignment copied, Channel incremented
This will MASSIVELY speed up my template building. All this in 24 hours and the promise of Wake On Midi to come, outstanding.
Hi
I simply don't know what to drag? If I select some of automation cells they just open! Could you please tell me how you do it?

Hi
I simply don't know what to drag? If I select some of automation cells they just open! Could you please tell me how you do it?

You need the 7.0.789 (May 3rd) update for the dragging feature. Then it is as simple as click and drag any automation cell while holding the above key combinations.

Is plugin scanning working for you all?
For me it does fail to detect many plugins, for example:
Omnisphere, Valhallaroom, SeventhHeaven, Ivory II pianos... just to name a few.
They are all listed in the "Unknown" section, cannot be enabled there and rescanning does not help either.
Anyone has an idea what can be done?

If you have teh latest version from yesterday, wait for the next patch. I think we will get at least one fix in the next few days patching these issues.

Is plugin scanning working for you all?
For me it does fail to detect many plugins, for example:
Omnisphere, Valhallaroom, SeventhHeaven, Ivory II pianos... just to name a few.
They are all listed in the "Unknown" section, cannot be enabled there and rescanning does not help either.
Anyone has an idea what can be done?

Do you have installed the newest update (version 7.0.789)? should solve the problem.

One other scanning thing to try - on the recent build, I can't be 100% sure but I don't think it worked first time. On a whim I moved Workstation to a different folder, scanned for changes, and then back again and scanned one more time and since then it's been absolutely fine. The order of vendors isn't alphabetical, so its possible it had in fact popped up on my first scan of this build and I didn't clock it, but I don't think so. Worth a shot anyway for anyone still with issues.

Perhaps they will finally announce AU3 ;)

Then after the time I have spent getting to love Cubase Pro 10, I will end up back at Logic's door :rofl:
It’s a pain though cause I’m on logic, got about 150 instances an while it would b nice to strip that back a lot I kinda don’t really wanna change the template cause it just works and is the same across all my sessions.

At least Omnisphere is working here. (I don't run the other plug ins you mentioned.)
Ah I sorted out. It works now.
The VST directories have to directly point to the location of the VSTs.
If there are links in the VST folder into other VST folders it does not work (somehow I used it this way with other DAWs in the past).

I'm trying to test another aspect. I'm looking if my template became smaller (now it is almost 1GB large) by using VEP. Right now I replaced 20 istances of Kontakt but my template became bigger. Shouldn't VEP also reduce the size of projects by storing the data of the various plugins?

Thank you.

Top Bottom