What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

I noticed that in Reaper I see named parameters if I use directly the main plugin, if I use Event Input instead I keep seeing them named "Parameter 1, Parameter 2 etc"...

Is there a way to extend this to Event Input plugin?
I reported this some weeks ago. I think it is on the todo-list and will implemented soon.

Anyway, finding lots of issues/bugs in 7 (as a newcomer with a short window demo) so will pass on this for now until things are hopefully ironed out.

Back to the wonderful Cubase track disable party ;)

best
Matt ;)
That makes me curious: during the beta-testing I did not experience major bugs (as well as the others), in contrary: it was for me the most stable VEP experience. I use it now for 2 months on my main machine in my current projects. Right now everything works fine on my machine and I find only minor bugs.
What is the reason that some have a really good time and others don't? :unsure:

Because different people use different variables, that's why it makes total sense to have many different experienced testers with different machines and workflow.

I am a tester for a major daw company (among many others in the past) and am always finding bugs big and small that others do not...and vice versa.

That makes me curious: during the beta-testing I did not experience major bugs (as well as the others), in contrary: it was for me the most stable VEP experience. I use it now for 2 months on my main machine in my current projects. Right now everything works fine on my machine and I find only minor bugs.
What is the reason that some have a really good time and others don't? :unsure:

The MAS plugin is still included. Now that DP10 has VST3 support, the VST3 plugin could possibly be used as well - but we haven't done any testing of the VST3 plugin in DP10 yet.

I couldn’t get the vst3 to work in dp10. Mainly validation problems

It is a crash that could occur if the system didn't previously have Bonjour installed - It's been taken care of - with a new update coming today.
That's not it. That PC used to do rtpMIDI (which uses Bonjour) long time before I got VEP6.

Anyway to organize folders in version 7 on Windows? Effects are still being listed as developer like on Mac OS. Still using V5 because of this.

They didn't seem to include the ability to create user specified organization folders of plugins... For now what you can do is disable the ones you are unlikely to use in VEP....and choose up to 10 favorites.

Could you please push me in the right direction? Where do I get them? Thanks :)

Were you meaning to ask about midi scripters? Here are two, one free, one not.

https://www.osar.fr/protoplug/

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PlugNScript/

There are actually quite a lot of VSTi/AUmfx plugins that handle midi only... they don't work on the Cubase and DP midi plugin slot, but can be hosted in an instrument slot, and basically can be used to filter midi that is passed through. The above scripters can work that way. But there are quite a lot of other midi plugins out there, some simple, some not. The problem is that both DP and Cubase don't really provide a way to insert them in front of instruments either (just like VEP), so to use them you have to setup complicated and verbose midi routings in the DAW...its kind of a PITA, especially if you plan to use it on every midi track. LogicPro/Mainstage at least provides proper AUmfx slots in front of the instrument slot on each channel.

In any case, if VEP had something similar as LogicPro with a series of slots to host either VSTi or AUmfx midi plugins (and actually AUi would probably work too not withstanding that its outside the AU spec), then it would be possible to insert VST and AUmfx plugins directly on the VEP channels on front of the instruments. This would greatly improve possibilities with Cubase and DP, not so much LogicPro which already has midifx slots before sending to VEP. But still could be useful there because in LogicPro you typically funnel numerous tracks of midi through a single instrument channel to send to VEP. So you'd have to have more complicated midi filtering that effects numerous midi tracks through a single channel in LPX...whereas if there was a VST/AUmfx slot (or multiple slots even better), in front of the VEP instrument slot, then you could do midi filtering in VEP on a channel by channel basis

Reactions: Ben
Thank you for the info. I will look into it, seems interesting.
Cubase allows for Midi fx plugins, but most MIDI VST plugins don't work / fail during scan (and a lot of the plugins I found are 32 bit).
I use the build in MIDI monitor for troubleshooting as well as the MIDI transformer (for example for the 2nd violin transposition trick without transposing my keyswitches).

I don't have time today to give you a comprehensive list of midi plugins but there are many out there in 64bit and pass validation fine in my mac based Daw's, but mileage may vary of course.

More and more coming out every day as people learn that is possible.. As I said, the bigger problem is that Cubase (and DP) do not provide an easy way to use them, so most people simply aren't doing it unless its a substantial midi oriented arpeggiator they can't live without or something. Cubase and DP make you jump through hoops.

For articulation management I feel this is a critical feature that every DAW should make easy...including VEP. There a lot of plugins that can start to provide solutions already if the host provides the slot. And in the future if the slots and host usability is better in this regards, then new plugins will emerge as well, writing midi only plugins in JUCE for example, is actually pretty simple. But nobody knows how to use them because the DAW's all make it complicated.

Reactions: Ben
Another way you can experiment with midi plugins is to use Plogue Bidule, Patchworks or some other plugin chainer plugin. They all provide the ability to host VSTi/AU midi plugins inside them and do what the DAW's and VEP currently don't. So you can for example, put PlogueBIdule into the instrument slot on each channel of VEP and then put your actual instrument inside it along with whatever chain of MIDI plugins you want in front of it... And it will work. But in my testing I have found PlogueBidule does not calculate and report latency back to the host, they conciously chose not to. BlueCatAudio's patchworks does handle plugin delay compensation and reports it to the host, but it crashed on me when I tried to use it inside VEP. Also, when you use this approach, while it works, I also lose all the automatic stuff VEP normally does when hosting VIPro, because ViPro is hidden inside the PlogueBidule plugin. So its less then ideal, but it can definitely be done. would be a lot better if VEP just gave us some midfx slots in a manner similar as LPX.

Cubase allows for Midi fx plugins

Also, regarding this comment ^^^, Cubase provides a small set of midi plugins, but they are not VST format. They are a proprietary format and the SDK for making them is not available or supported any more. So its not even possible for crafty new developers to make any new clever midi plugins that will go into that slot.

DP is the same way.

LogicPro allows AUmfx plugins to sit in their midi fx slot...which means a lot of 3rd party plugins can go there. In fact, as per above, you can usually use Patchworks or PlogueBidule to wrap even just a normal VSTi plugin (that does midi filter) and put it into that Aumfx slot in LogicPro, LPX thinks its just a normal AUmfx, even though its a VST plugin...but it works totally fine. So LogicPro actually does provide the currently best solution with regards to this...not withstanding it has the other problem that multiple midi tracks have to funnel through a single instrument channel to get to VEP..which makes that kind of midi processing much more complicated.

Could you please tell me which plug-ins are not validating, or missing?
Just installed the update. Scanning right now, will edit this post and insert more after scanning has been completed.

Non validating VST:
Auburn Sounds Panagement
D16 Toraverb
iZotope Neutron
Lethal Audio Lethal
Magix Independence FX
Steven Slate Drums SSD5
u-he Diva
Voxengo MSED

Non validating AU:
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 FX
Roland Cloud SH-2

___
But hey, the rest showed up with 7.0.789 so I can do Omnisphere, Alchemy, Phase Plant etc. again.

Last edited:
They didn't seem to include the ability to create user specified organization folders of plugins... For now what you can do is disable the ones you are unlikely to use in VEP....and choose up to 10 favorites.

Yeah they said they were fixing it since version 6, that was a lie. I guess I'll just start memorizing.

And this is why VSL need to cherry pick this forum for testers, get them on an NDA, set up a private testing forum like Jira with bug codes, and hook loyal testers up with nfrs and discounts.

It’s the only way forward :)

Just installed the update. Scanning right now, will edit this post and insert more after scanning has been completed.

Non validating VST:
Auburn Sounds Panagement
D16 Toraverb
iZotope Neutron
Lethal Audio Lethal
Slate Digital SSD5
u-he Diva
Voxengo MSED

Non validating AU:
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 FX
Roland Cloud SH-2

___
But hey, the rest showed up with 7.0.789 so I can do Omnisphere, Alchemy, Phase Plant etc. again.

I'm having various performance issue while I'm building the new template. VEP7 itself seems to go well but Reaper is very unresponsive, I've so many lags and freezes that cause it to be unusable.

I cannot use the VST3 version of the main plugin because take forever to open, well...my experience actually is very bad, VEP7 seems a great piece of software but my DAW doesn't behave well. :sad:

On Cubase 10 it’s working very smoothly.
Took out yesterday to set everything up according to what Guy Rowland was suggesting here (thanks!) with everything disabled in VEPRO 7 on my slave and the memory footprint went from almost full (64GB) to 5GB.
Almost no CPU usage on idle.
Audio performance meter in Cubase showing barely any activity in my template with about 1000 tracks.
Happy days. Have to start thinking about what other libraries I can stuff onto my slave now :)
This new automation feature is a big time saver.

On Cubase 10 it’s working very smoothly.
Took out yesterday to set everything up according to what Guy Rowland was suggesting here (thanks!) with everything disabled in VEPRO 7 on my slave and the memory footprint went from almost full (64GB) to 5GB.
Almost no CPU usage on idle.
Audio performance meter in Cubase showing barely any activity in my template with about 1000 tracks.
Happy days. Have to start thinking about what other libraries I can stuff onto my slave now :)
This new automation feature is a big time saver.

That's all great news - I went through the same process of.. "wait, so I can now start adding pretty much EVERYTHING and there's barely any resource hit at all?! Whoa!" It's nice to have some of the more niche things which I otherwise forget about.

I just realised something. The reason why VEPro became popular is that it allowed the relatively easy use of working with slaves, and it actively encouraged their use. With 6 and now 7 we've come full circle, and it has made slaves obsolete pretty much. That is massively appealing to me - all the environmental savings, cost savings, time savings and simplicity, with less to go wrong. I know the increase in costs for additional licenses haven't been popular, but here's the thing - we really don't need them any more. If starting from scratch with a clean slate, pretty much the only reason left to have a slave is increased throughput, but modern SSDs / NVMes / MOBOs / CPUs make this pretty marginal too imo.

Top Bottom