What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

@Dietz

I'm sorry to be 'that guy', but when will you be letting us know about the new features that are in VE Pro 7 ? Even a basic outline would be great. I understand why you may not wish to give a release date

Since the Taiko Drum bonus ends in 5 days, will you be releasing details on the new features in VE Pro 7 before then ?

I do appreciate that you guys are very excited about the Epic Orchestra 2.0, but for many of us VePro 7 is the main event here.

I love VePro 6, and whilst the software upgrade is bit more expensive than before, I still think it's pretty amazing value for money and I can also see why you have split the licences to individual ones. So I'm with you all the way so far.

But I'm still scratching my head a little as to why you put a product out on pre-order and at the same time have given virtually no details about it.

Best Wishes, Michael.

@Dietz

I'm sorry to be 'that guy', but when will you be letting us know about the new features that are in VE Pro 7
Sorry @Michael Antrum, but I'm "not that guy". ;-D ... I'm just a sound engineer who happens to develop stuff for VSL every now and then, but I have no deeper insight into the realm of software engineering of the company (with the exception of MIR, of course). Truth to be told: I haven't seen anything of VEP7 myself, up to now.

Everything is anything but clear here. Are they promoting Epic Orchestra or Giant Taiko or VE Pro7?

Looks like a sort of a weird cooking recipe... An old free bonus meal revisited, a pinch of salt and pepper from different banks, all this offered when preordering an unknown ingredient nobody knows anything about... And an increasing bidding auction now: a Taiko has just been added for a short time to the basket!

Is it enough for the 'magnificent' bride we never saw?

No preorder for me, I don't want to be fooled twice.

May as well promote Epic Orchestra 2.0 seperately, as promoting it over VEP 7 feels like that VEP won't have much at all in terms of new features, especially if they're trying to entice us to get VEP 7 by going crazy with advertising the bundled orchestra.

All we want is a simple list containing info on new features so we can get hyped and make a decision. We can wait for videos later, which is how they've done it in the past, features first and video later! But it looks like they want to make the videos and list each feature 1 by 1.

It's the whole announcement of an announcement of an announcement thing going on again I feel :(

Last edited:
The concept of their marketing seems all wrong to me. If you're looking to buy VEP, it's because you already have a lot of libraries--and that probably includes taikos and orchestra basics--and you are looking for a way to manage the load.

Who out there is looking to manage the load, and also looking to buy their basic libraries? It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
According to Paul a VSL the single license was a popular request. Their forum outside of the fanboyz dictates otherwise.

I'm not sure how this attracts new people. My first license of VEP5 didn't cost the price of a single license of 7. I could see "new" people going with EW products since you don't even need a dongle. I warn the casual user to be cautious of VSL because of the replacement policy. Once that's mentioned it's a big turn off. VEP is still an amazing piece of software.

I warn the casual user to be cautious of VSL because of the replacement policy. Once that's mentioned it's a big turn off. VEP is still an amazing piece of software.
This is what scares me most when using VEP, if my dongle goes capput, then i'll have to pay 50% the cost of a full licence to get a recovery licence. Can't find a viable alternative to VEP though unfortunately. Paying €70 for "premium dongle protection" is nuts!

According to Paul at VSL the single license was a popular request. Their forum outside of the fanboyz dictates otherwise. ...
The problem is not the new pricing policy for new users. I think that will prove to be a good thing. The problem is the upgrade pricing for existing users, especially existing users who need more than one license.

Last edited:
What was the regular price for a new user to get VEPro 6 with the three licenses?

Being a new user I decided to jump into VEPro. I read about the 50% policy and don’t like it, but since I’m already using Cubase I have the dongle, which i’ve just come to accept.

I’m enjoying what I can do with 6 right now on a single machine and hopefully whatever they announce with 7 will be that much better.

This is what scares me most when using VEP, if my dongle goes capput, then i'll have to pay 50% the cost of a full licence to get a recovery licence. Can't find a viable alternative to VEP though unfortunately. Paying €70 for "premium dongle protection" is nuts!

That was the beauty of the 3 licenses if you didn't use them all for VEP.

I believe it was 285 euros. The regular price for VEPro 7 will be 195 euros for one license, 260 for two licenses, and 325 for three licenses.

I doubt anyone paid that much. The price is high now just in case there's a grace period in getting a free upgrade.

The problem is that most of us bought vep with the understanding that it could support a few machines with that license, and a reasonable expectation about what future update pricing would be for that three-machine license. Vsl is now changing the terms of that relationship to a more expensive ongoing cost for what we reasonably expected it to be, while making a single license the new normal. In my view it’s unethical. I would not have paid what I paid for a single license. Part of the sell for me was knowing I could run it on my main daw as well as potentially at least one more server. The price was acceptable to me knowing that would be a possibility. But now they are changing what the cost will be to have that possibility rolling forward and making it more expensive. I personally don’t think it’s cool at all despite what the vsl fanboys will say. It will take a very impressive list of new features to get me to upgrade.

In general vsl has been making a lot of these kinds of decisions lately. First they create a dongle license crisis through unreasonable policies and then offer the insurance to protect consumers from their own draconian policies. It’s ludicrous and unethical.

Mind you I love using their product and if vep7 brings enough to the table they will still get my money because there is nothing else. But we shall see.

The problem is that most of us bought vep with the understanding that it could support a few machines with that license, and a reasonable expectation about what future update pricing would be for that three-machine license. Vsl is now changing the terms of that relationship to a more expensive ongoing cost for what we reasonably expected it to be, while making a single license the new normal. In my view it’s unethical. I would not have paid what I paid for a single license. Part of the sell for me was knowing I could run it on my main daw as well as potentially at least one more server. The price was acceptable to me knowing that would be a possibility. But now they are changing what the cost will be to have that possibility rolling forward and making it more expensive. I personally don’t think it’s cool at all despite what the vsl fanboys will say. It will take a very impressive list of new features to get me to upgrade.

In general vsl has been making a lot of these kinds of decisions lately. First they create a dongle license crisis through unreasonable policies and then offer the insurance to protect consumers from their own draconian policies. It’s ludicrous and unethical.

Mind you I love using their product and if vep7 brings enough to the table they will still get my money because there is nothing else. But we shall see.

It probably would have been fair call me a VSL fanboy not very long ago, so I'm not being a "hater" (maybe a jilted lover?) when I say that IMO, you're not wrong.

The license key situation has always been aggravating, but I would have stopped short of calling it unethical. VSL said they were working on the problem. But then rather than eliminating the problem entirely, they "fixed" it by coming up with a way to charge more money. Memo to VSL: Most sample libraries don't have this ridiculous "lost license key" problem in the first place. I'm certainly not paying more to fix a problem of your own making.

The handling of Synchron Strings, however, absolutely crossed the unethical line for me. VSL did not deliver what was promised. It's a half-baked library with unusable legato from the original innovator in legato. Didn't see that one coming. VSL's many-years-old silent stage libraries are far better (and apparently they've decided it's easier to "Synchronize" those old libraries than turn out re-recorded ones of similar quality). But since I considered VSL one of the few companies whose products were safe to pre-order, I'm out $500 that would have been better used for lottery tickets or fire kindling.

So it's from this viewpoint that I say I will not pre-order VE Pro 7. It might be great software, but I can no longer take the company at their word. I can only go on their recent track record, and it is wanting.

You are all right. I don't understand why they can't just write some words about the features. Are they still waiting for the programmer to confirm the features? Basis sound library's is really not the right thing to attract professionals. Like already written the only reason why you use vepro is because you have a lot of libraries to distribute over the network.

As I am also a marketing guy I understand the thinking behind the story. They think if they give professionals synchron libraries for free they maybe buy the big products. I don't know if this could happen with the really bad synchron strings libraries but the way in general is totally wrong.

Pros buy a vepro update to have new features in the first place. Then you can give them some teaser instruments on top if you like.

The only costumer group you can reach with this marketing are beginners who just think about buying vepro for the first time. They could be perhaps teased... But this is just a very small client group.

I want to see features like midi loop back, enhanced activation/deactivation, better automation mapping work flow, better performance ...

Who needs a internal channel strip in vepro? You can do that with vst plugings...

As a new customer of VEP I was thinking of buying it but by reading your last comments I'm not so convinced anymore.

First of all the lack of informations, this make me think many things, all of them not so good.

Second the dongle policy, I have to buy a steinberg dongle (I'm an happy Reaper user) and if it brokes for some reason I have to re-buy 50% of the VEP license (together with a new dongle if I understand well), it's unfair.

Third I don't know if it could be an enhancement for me.

I'll buy it if:

1) It optimizes my work and my workflow with stability, good resources use and so on...
2) I could load my instruments faster;
3) Manage them with keystrokes from my main view.

I'd like to have the possibility to load lighter projects in Reaper and manage everything from a specialized software but the workflow should be an excellence.

Top Bottom