What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

I just don't know about this. As loading times are getting faster, I'm using VEP less and less. I've got two 12 core trash cans, and I rarely turn on the second one. Templates have their place, but they can get you into a rut. And, it's pretty easy to just set up a big template in Logic Pro.

I'm thinking when the new Mac Pro is released this year, I'll go down to one, single, powerful machine, and maybe not use VEP anymore. If the host app is fast and powerful, VEP is a time consuming extra step.

VEP was really useful back when computers and storage devices were slow, and load times took forever. But, it's becoming less vital all the time. Kind of like getting a blurb about the latest version of Toast when you hardly ever touch an optical drive anymore.

VEP has been the greatest thing ever, functional and cheap even if it’s the only solution for what it does. Now it feels that there has been a change in the company, they seem to be more interested about money than the actual product. Who releases a product they have absolutely nothing to say about? Why not announce it next week, month or year when it’s ready? Why are they only mentioning old stuff they are throwing in? Yes, money. The Suite plugins are great but they are a decade old and who wants to mix in VEP or doesn’t have plugins and a workflow already? Who needs a random set of promo samples? Why shouldn’t people be worried when the developer of such an important tool is behaving weird?

Last edited:
Amazing.

I don't know how often people have to say this, so I'll try a really big red font to see if it helps.

DETAILS ON VE PRO 7 WILL BE ANNOUNCED BEFORE THE END OF THE PRE-ORDER PERIOD

Bold too. Sadly it's not 1998, so I can't make it flash. Sorry.

The issue which I think is why so many of us are a bit annoyed is that there's an abundance of information about Epic Orchestra and they are pushing it so hard that it's a very suspicious tactic. In the meantime they have nothing to say regarding VEP7 other than it's existence; That's absolutely ridiculous.

No one cares about Epic Orchestra - that's not why we buy VEP so why the hell are we talking about epic orchestra.

I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade is very minor hence the FLASHY OMG EPIC ORCHESTRA U NEED THIS NOW marketing. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Still no answer on what happens to your V6 licenses. eLicenser shows VEpro 5 and 6 but could you actually install VEP 5 again on some other machines and slap you dongle on it? The people involved don't seem to answer the big question.

As a composer who's a semi-hobbyist, this "upgrade" is a kick in the nuts!

I currently use 2 of 3 licenses and I have to pay 75E and 45E x 3 (*edit, sorry I meant x 2) for this upgrade if I wanna keep my 3 licenses up to date. Unless VEP7 brings features that are out of this world, this is a total lack of loyalty to existing users. VEP6 upgrade cost like 75E for all 3.

Also, as a user of over 2K$ of their libraries, their Epic Orchestra 2 is not something I want nor need. I do not care for all their Synchron or Synchron'ized stuff.

Last edited:
T
That's for the additional license, not the upgrade correct? Or with points?
That’s for the upgrade from 6 to 7. When i placed the order in the cart Best Service asked me to enter my VSL account email and gave me extra $10 discount based on my previous VSL products I already have. Plus i already had a couple dollars in bonus points.. First purchse for VSL from Best Service.

VEP has been the greatest thing ever, functional and cheap even if it’s the only solution for what it does. Now it feels that there has been a change in the company, they seem to interested more about money than the actual product. Who releases a product they have absolutely nothing to say about? Why not announce it next week, month or year when it’s ready? Why are they only mentioning old stuff they are throwing in? Yes, money. The Suite plugins are great but they are a decade old and who wants to mix in VEP or doesn’t have plugins and a workflow already? Who needs a random set of promo samples? Why shouldn’t people be worried when the developer of such an important tool is behaving weird?
This. I believe most people have good intentions, but there is a notable shift in marketing styles that seems focused more on revenue and less about a win for the customers. Not placing any judgment on Vienna (or the other companies doing the same dance recently) but it is something to watch...

I currently use 2 of 3 licenses and I have to pay 75E and 45E x 3 for this upgrade if I wanna keep my 3 licenses up to date. Unless VEP7 brings features that are out of this world, this is a total lack of loyalty to existing users. VEP6 upgrade cost like 75E for all 3.
That's incorrect. You just have to buy the 75€ Upgrade and 2x 45€ Upgrades = 165€, or you'll buy just one additional upgrade (you said you just need two licenses) => 120€
It is still more than the 100-120€ Upgrade from 5 -> 6, but still: Nothing is released yet: Nobody forces you to buy now. VSL already confirmed that they will announce the new features before introduction price ends.

While its unusual for VSL to offer a pre-order on a product with little info, its not as if they're holding a gun to our heads. I'm not sure why any of this is evidence that VSL have signed their corporate souls over to Beelzebub.

Hi Guy, they just deliver no info at all about VEpro7 itself. It's not a new orchestral bank but the very platform we're all working with. They're not holding a gun indeed, but the subject can stand for pretty much sensitive, at least, regarding everyone's workflow.

SY Strings has been a particularly bad experience and, not talking about Beelzebub ;) VSL practises don't incline me to closed eyes confidence since then. I had great respect for their work in the past, ordered about 10k€ products for 10 years. I'm much more careful about their 'magnificent' announcements now. Things have changed for a while and not for anything better imo...

That said, you're right for a part, let's wait and see. What I definitely know is that I won't have any closed eyes preorder like I did for the SY Strings.

artmanjam - I think their entire Synchron series is at best a questionable idea given VSL's expertise in the silent studio, and the Syncrhonized series is just nuts. It's the craziest offering in all Sampledom. The big selling point of the original series is control, and typically exquisite legato transitions. This is because it has been recorded on the Silent Stage. To actually take those samples and bake in some artificial reverb - screwing up the very thing that was good about them in the first place by muddying all those transitions - and THEN asking original owners to buy them again is jaw-dropping. Here's an idea - why not keep the same samples and add those effects AFTER playback in the player, before the damage is done? (answer - because we couldn't sell that as a new product and people wouldn't pay twice for the same thing).

So look, I can be appropriately cynical. I'm all for people exercising caution before buying VSL, or indeed anything from anyone. If we know anything in our little commercial sphere that is VIs and Sample Libraries - developers will go to any lengths to sell anything. Very few, if any, developers are entirely immune from this.

It seems pretty clear to me that VSL figured - not unreasonably - that despite all this, Epic Orchestra 2.0 would be a draw for some people. Hey, 73 GB, it must be good, right? So they've decided to release it for sale, and withhold information about VE Pro 7 itself, part of a phased marketing strategy. If they only offered the discount for anyone buying it on faith I'd be upset too. As it is - well, they're just doing what developers do, and getting some cashflow going. That's of no interest to me, but I'm entirely neutral about it because they will tell me shortly what VE Pro 7 actually is, and then I can make an informed decision on that.

I think VE Pro 6 is fantastic. I can certainly imagine features in 7 that would have me giddily handing over cash as fast as I am able. To see if any of these - or anything else useful I haven't thought of - comes to pass, I wait. All the rest is irrelevant distraction as far as I'm concerned.

I think the thing ( I wouldn´t call it issue) that some users are having a hard time with, is the change of licenses policies, almost duplicating the upgrade cost for some users is a tough pill to swallow if you want to stay current and don´t have future compatibility issues.

It kind of looks like a money grab (IMHO), you could sell the licenses separately but have the three licenses upgrade as an option to previous users.

I think there are less and less companies that reward old customers (Alex W comes to mind), and make the best offers for new users (EW spaces II comes to mind)

FYI, I wrote VSL to ask how long the pre-order pricing would be available, and Paul Kopf kindly wrote back to say that it will stay available for some time, and that we'll be informed before the price change.

Is the upgrade pricing the same from VEP 5 and 6? If the upgrade pricing from the older versions is too steep then those customers are never coming back once they miss an upgrade. Maybe we’re getting into Cubase/Komplete territory where it’s more than advisable to pass every other yearly upgrade.

Top Bottom