On Cubase 10 it’s working very smoothly.
Took out yesterday to set everything up according to what Guy Rowland was suggesting here (thanks!) with everything disabled in VEPRO 7 on my slave and the memory footprint went from almost full (64GB) to 5GB.
Almost no CPU usage on idle.
Audio performance meter in Cubase showing barely any activity in my template with about 1000 tracks.
Happy days. Have to start thinking about what other libraries I can stuff onto my slave now
This new automation feature is a big time saver.
That's all great news - I went through the same process of.. "wait, so I can now start adding pretty much EVERYTHING and there's barely any resource hit at all?! Whoa!" It's nice to have some of the more niche things which I otherwise forget about.
I just realised something. The reason why VEPro became popular is that it allowed the relatively easy use of working with slaves, and it actively encouraged their use. With 6 and now 7 we've come full circle, and it has made slaves obsolete pretty much. That is massively appealing to me - all the environmental savings, cost savings, time savings and simplicity, with less to go wrong. I know the increase in costs for additional licenses haven't been popular, but here's the thing - we really don't need them any more. If starting from scratch with a clean slate, pretty much the only reason left to have a slave is increased throughput, but modern SSDs / NVMes / MOBOs / CPUs make this pretty marginal too imo.