VEPro 7 now available!

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Ben, Feb 18, 2019.

1. semo

semo New Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Wasn't the Giant Taiko included with the Synchron String I pre-order? Or is it a different one?

2. OP
    OP
    Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Same samples.

3. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    That's exactly what they are doing. They just aren't describing it that way. I am currently busy learning VEP6 (which is new to me) at a price that was attractive because I only need one license.

4. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Seems pretty clear to me. 45€ is the preorder price for additional licenses. The regular price is 65€. So, after the preorder period, updating to VE Pro 7 with three licenses will cost 225€. Rather hefty in my opinion.

For a company the size of VSL I can't imagine this to be the case. If something caused financial problems for VSL it surely would be the purchase and renovation of the Synchron Stage itself, not the production of the Synchron Strings library.

My speculation is that they are just trying to attract new customers. They had a reputation for comprehensive, flexible yet complex libraries that are great for concert music. Now they are targeting the film music/epic crowd with their Synchron line, and hobbyist with entry level products. They changed their website (colorful pictures, cool people telling us that they are using VSL products) and their marketing accordingly. Like every other company in sample land they are telling us now how excited they are by their own products.

The opinions of existing customers show that this transition doesn't go without friction.

Gaffable and Saxer like this.
  5. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Yea that was not shown on vsl site when I first looked at it it did not have a crossed out retail price for upgrades when I looked at “my price”, but Paul has since clarified, and it’s at the bottom of the product page; that the normal upgrade price will be 95 euros, not 75. And 65 euros for each additional. So wow the normal upgrade price to upgrade our originally purchased 3 license product is now is actually more then i paid for vep6 almost exactly one year ago today.

I paid $235 one year ago at sweetwater. Full upgrade of what I purchased will cost $255.

Actually now more then ever I can say vsl, forget it. Vep7 would have to be the most incredibly improved software ever for me to even remotely consider that.

muk likes this.
  6. heisenberg

heisenberg Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Yes Dirk's tutorials on VEPro are excellent. Mihkel Zilmer's tutorials are superb as well...

You mention the Groove 3 VEPro tutorial series. Can you recall how detailed a look they get into MIDI automation and do they get into the DAW side of MIDI automation? I have found this sorely lacking in all the tutorials I have seen.

7. Pablocrespo

Pablocrespo Active Member

I´ve just realized that I bought VEP6 for U$244, so the upgrade would cost more than that

8. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Not me. I'm the dope that falls for these. I have the SE Vol1,2. So I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a little more VSL. VEP 7 probably won't be a bad thing.

9. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog I'm supposed to be working now.

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm still working on that class, watching many of the videos multiple times so I can't say for sure. If it gets into that in depth, I'll let you know. But much of it isn't helpful to me because it's about Logic and I use Cubase on the PC.

But from my understanding of the setup, I'll be doing my mixing and automation in Cubase, in the separate audio tracks routed back from VE Pro, as explained in Dirk's video.

heisenberg likes this.
  10. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    haha "Upgrade"

11. midiman

midiman Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I do find it very strange to not reveal any new features of the VE pro 7. I really hope there will be something attractive about the new Features, because the Epic Orch 2.0 is not the selling point for me. Strange they would remove the taiko if not purchased through Feb 28, given they are not giving details about VE pro 7. Also I am not clear in wether the 75 Euros upgrade pricing stays after the 28th. Anyone know?

Audio Birdi and ELADORE like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    YES, it stays until at least after more infos are available...

midiman likes this.
  13. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I truly hope that the VSL guys are having financial prosperity. But whether they are or whether they are not, the idea that they need to collect cash flow before any information (or product) is released is either A) Intentionally deceptive or B) Due to financial constraints somehow. Or maybe both A&B. This isn’t the same as pre-release hype.

No two ways around it. The bonus Taiko is a "squeeze tactic" which unfortunately indicates ulterior motives in this specific context. There really isn't another option that I can see. But I do hope that neither is the case. I really hope there is great success for all of the artists and for the developers helping artists make music.

That said, even if their cash flow is hurting, they have a loyal fanbase. There should be complete transparency with their customer base where they could ask for suggestions as to how to overcome any hurdles they may be facing rather than continue to create damage. My $0.02 at least. :whistling:

EgM, muk, ELADORE and 1 other person like this.
  14. LinusW

LinusW Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I got a single VEP7 license now. Slaves will stay on VEP6 for now, let's see how this evolves.

15. Pablocrespo

Pablocrespo Active Member

I think they cannot connect, I don’t know if they can coexist so you could have vep6 and vep7 plugins in your session

16. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    The plugin filenames don't have version numbers, so unless VSL changes that in VEPro 7, you might have problems trying to get your DAW to use both.

17. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I believe that will probably be the case, however, it still may be possible to use a third party sub-hosting plugin such as patchworks, plogueBidule, mini-host modular, etc.. and manually pick the exact VEP6 plugin to host in there, rather then relying on the normal VST/AU folder. This is theoretical because who knows what kind of other conflict might happen running inside the daw that way, but if the sub-host keeps it isolated enough, then you could theoretically have connections to 3 VEP6 servers inside PlogueBidule and x number of VEP7 plugins connecting to those servers depending on how many VEP7 licenses you buy.

just thinking out loud...

I definitely doubt that it will be possible to run both the VEP6 and VEP7 plugin directly in the same host at the same time.

18. OP
    OP
    Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    If you buy an upgrade, you get an additional license, not an upgrade license like with 5->6. So I assume that you are able to run them side by side. But maybe I am wrong.

19. LinusW

LinusW Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I'm not having both v6 and v7 in one host/machine.
    The question is if a VEP7 plugin in my main DAW could connect to VEP6 servers on my slaves. What was it like with v5? Can v6 plugins connect to v5?

20. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Paul said in the VSL forum that no it can't.