What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

Also...do I have that right that VEPro7 hasn't seen an update since May of last year????
I'm not sure, but it surely needs to support hosting VST3 format, it is fast becoming the standard format, I wonder what's taking them so long to add VST3 support to VE-Pro 7 ?

I would love to see better sandboxing and crash protection. Why does it always have to make the entire DAW crash if a Kontakt instance within VEP locks up...?

I'm not sure, but it surely needs to support hosting VST3 format, it is fast becoming the standard format, I wonder what's taking them so long to add VST3 support to VE-Pro 7 ?
Couldn't agree more. My money is they are holding this 'arrow in their quiver' to enhance VEP 8 sales. That sounds negative but I don't mean it to be - just business - and I WANT them to STAY in this business as this is key software to me (Main + 3 satellites)

I'm not sure how many VE-Pro 7 users updated to Kontakt 6.6 VST3, and have built large VE-Pro 7 based templates using Kontakt Instruments, but can't use it after they updated to Kontakt 6.6 (VST3).

This is a big issue. VSL needs to move fast.

fast becoming? No I don't think so. VST3 has been around 10 years and has been, and continues to be a slow adoption. There are very few plugins which are exclusively VST3 or make use of VST3 specific features in some way that you just must use VST3. I nearly always choose the VST2 version of a particular plugin when I have the option between VST2 vs VST3. Furthermore VST3 has design flaws related to midi and specially related to articulation handling that are significant enough to avoid when doing orch mockup type work.

The only thing is that since Steinberg is exercising big brother power, new developers are unable to develop for VST2, so its true that at some point in the future VST3 will fundamentally take over everything, like it or not, but we are still a long ways off from that.

Which specific plugin are you needing to use VST3 inside VePro and why can't it work with VST2?

VSL has said numerous times, VST3 is in the plan and will happen eventually but no timeline.

I'm not sure how many VE-Pro 7 users updated to Kontakt 6.6 VST3, and have built large VE-Pro 7 based templates using Kontakt Instruments, but can't use it after they updated to Kontakt 6.6 (VST3).

This is a big issue. VSL needs to move fast.
6.6 comes in VST2 version also

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 1.10.41 PM.jpg

And as a comparison, I can't even get DP11 to validate pretty much any of my VST3 plugins, including Kontakt 6.6.VST3... FWIW. Just crashes DP over and over. That is likely DP's fault...not VST3's fault...but just shows you....VSL is not alone in dragging their feet to adopt VST3 and for the most part its not slowing anyone down (for now), because nearly always there is a perfectly well functioning VST2/AU version of whatever plugin you're wanting to use. Hardly anyone is actually using advanced VST3 features...except for maybe Steinberg in Cubase.

Please be more specific. Which specific plugins are you talking about that can only do those things in the VST3 version? if its Kontakt, then which specific libraries are making use of it?

Please be more specific. Which specific plugins are you talking about that can only do those things in the VST3 version? if its Kontakt, then which specific libraries are making use of it?
VST Note Expression is only supported by VST3. Obviously, there aren't yet libraries that can use its features after a couple days from the release of the new Kontakt, but any library can now take advantage of them. Features only available in Halion, like the ones shown here, can not be implement in Kontakt:

Paolo

alright...well VST3 and the notion of Note Expression has been around a decade already...it didn't just suddenly come out. Only a few daws, like Cubase and maybe S1 actually support Note Expression from the DAW side...and I don't personally know any plugins or sample libraries making use of it.

All the wiz bang features of VST3, which Steinberg has been touting for all that time, including NoteExpression and other things..has been around as a concept available for developers to make use of...since years already...and truthfully...hardly anyone is. In fact most VST3 plugins in existence are simply cross compiled from the same source as their VST2 version with exactly the same feature set.

DP11 just added its own flavor of Note Expression that doesn't require VST3 at all by the way, handled entirely by the DAW which means it works right now today with any plugin, VST2 or VST3. Though it can't do the note-by-note expression as described in the above video. But Steinberg is about the only dev I know of taking advantage of that tech since 10 years that it has been available in VST3

All I'm trying to say is...VePro will get there when it gets there and there is no urgency right now. VePro is not missing anything by not having VST3 support, other then people being annoyed by it. Yes, they know they have to add it and I'm confident they are working on it, but I don't understand the urgency right now.

if you can come up with a few specific plugin use cases where music can not be made with a certain plugin using VePro, but it can with say, S1 or Cubase using that plugin's VST3 tech in some way... let's hear about it...that kind of demand might motivate VSL to put more resources on it...but VSL has a small dev team with limited time, and lots of things they are working on. That just is what it is. They already said numerous times they plan on doing it at some point..but there is no timeline announced for it...and I can tell you that in order to add VST3 alone, with or without support for say, Note Expression...is not a trivial matter. Adding support for Note Expression and some of the other VST3 features (which some hosts don't even support), will be even more work. Its not at all a trivial matter. VST3 is a much more complicated API then VST2. I have no hope whatsoever of seeing VST3 hosting in VePro7. Maybe v8. And I don't care either...especially for instrument plugins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom