What's new

VEpro 6 disable instruments and decouple

Mishabou

I use CB10 and VEpro 6 with all instruments disabled.

I would like to hear from people who use similar set up and how they deal with Vepro set to preserve/couple (save takes forever) VS preserve/decouple (instant save but DAW can't remember the enable/disable state of Vepro).

My work around is to work in Decouple and set it to Couple and save before quitting, this way the DAW remembers my Vepro settings, as they are different for every sessions.

I always work decoupled. I have Cubase set so a keyswitch enables (and another disables) the instrument. I then have these key switches on bar 3 of every track, muted. When I'm finished with a cue - albeit temporarily - I set the visibility agent to show the tracks I'm actually using, and then I go through unmuting all those key switches, and then save and close. Next time I load it up, I start entirely disabled as usual, but just then play bar 3 - all those unmuted keyswtiches. This then enables everything I'm using in the project.

My Orchestral library I work with Decouple and never set to couple before quitting.
I have saved track presets in Cubase that opens instrument tracks of the instances I need and these tracks I couple (since they usually are not that many, it doesnt take forever to save).

When I reopen those project later on, the added tracks pops up automatically in VEPro with the exact preset that I used.

I would like to hear from people who use similar set up and how they deal with Vepro set to preserve/couple (save takes forever) VS preserve/decouple (instant save but DAW can't remember the enable/disable state of Vepro).

My work around is to work in Decouple and set it to Couple and save before quitting, this way the DAW remembers my Vepro settings, as they are different for every sessions.

Ditto. I have my template saved Coupled(just in case), everything disabled in VEP, also every VEP plugin is disabled in DAW as well which is same as disconnecting it. This way I additionally save Master's ASIO resources.

So, everything's decoupled while working, and coupled for the final daily save so to save all the edits (mics, etc...) I made in VEP instances with Cubase project file.

I always work decoupled. I have Cubase set so a keyswitch enables (and another disables) the instrument. I then have these key switches on bar 3 of every track, muted. When I'm finished with a cue - albeit temporarily - I set the visibility agent to show the tracks I'm actually using, and then I go through unmuting all those key switches, and then save and close. Next time I load it up, I start entirely disabled as usual, but just then play bar 3 - all those unmuted keyswtiches. This then enables everything I'm using in the project.

Very interesting workflow Guy. I love it!

I presume you have premixed template so you don't make many mic changes? Or are you saving those differently?

I work in decoupled but during the session I will save a copy as coupled. This way if I have a crash I can load the coupled version and have all my instances up and running with my latest work all intact.

Interesting thread as I’m trying to improve my asio performance a bit (at the moment I have everything enabled and decoupled)
What exactly do you mean with all instruments disabled?
The Vienna plugins in Cubase or your instruments within VEPRO?

If it’s the instruments within VEPRO, I understand you can send a keyswitch to enable them?

Interesting thread as I’m trying to improve my asio performance a bit (at the moment I have everything enabled and decoupled)
What exactly do you mean with all instruments disabled?
The Vienna plugins in Cubase or your instruments within VEPRO?

If it’s the instruments within VEPRO, I understand you can send a keyswitch to enable them?

Correct, I have all the instruments in VEPRO disabled. There are many methods to achieve this, I have two buttons on my iPad (enable/disable).

Correct, I have all the instruments in VEPRO disabled. There are many methods to achieve this, I have two buttons on my iPad (enable/disable).
What iPad app are you using? I use Metagrid - I wonder if it's possible in that app? I've never figured out a way to enable/disable VEP instances remotely.

What iPad app are you using? I use Metagrid - I wonder if it's possible in that app? I've never figured out a way to enable/disable VEP instances remotely.

It should be possible using pretty much any app really. You just need to send out a CC one way or another, or even use a key switch in Cubase and map it to the CC using the Transformer.

The boring bit is in VE Pro - you need to set the automation manually for every single channel. No short cuts, unless VEP 7 has something up its sleeve (and here's hoping it does).

Thanks Guy. I'll see if I can accomplish it. I've never used Cubase's transformer so I'll have to search for a video or read the manual.

...No short cuts, unless VEP 7 has something up its sleeve (and here's hoping it does).

One semi-shortcut I have found is as follows:

1) in one of your instances create automation entries for all the VEPro ports you need and set each entry to the required channel and controller (I have each port set to channel 1, cc 124). This takes a long time, especially if you use 40 ports per instance as I do, but you only have to do it once.

2) save a copy of the instance

3) on another instance that also needs automation entries for disabling, choose 'merge project' and select 'uncheck all' so that you don't import the instruments from the other instance. Then select the 'automation mapping' option and hit ok to import all the automation entries you've just created.

4) then you still need to go through and assign the 'disable' command for each instrument

In Cubase, to get around the problem of instruments that address more than just midi channel 1 (via expression maps or whatever) I set up a midi send that outputs to the same channel that the instrument is already outputting on. Then I put an 'transformer' in 'insert exclusive' mode on the midi send which conforms all cc 124 messages to channel 1.

Hope that makes sense/is of use to someone

Last edited:
I've also got a nifty setup using two key commands to enable/disable VEPro instruments as well as their respective midi tracks in cubase. One key command enables the midi track. Then Bome MIDI Translator Pro detects this key command and sends out a cc message on this track to enable the VEPro instrument. Another key command does the opposite, first sending out a cc message to disable the instrument in VEPro and then disable the midi track. This is useful for keeping track of what's enabled/disabled in VEPro as well as opening up possibilities for project logical editor visibility stuff based on track disabled status.

That's exactly the app I'm using. Very easy to set up pm me if you need help.

I've also got a nifty setup using two key commands to enable/disable VEPro instruments as well as their respective midi tracks in cubase. One key command enables the midi track. Then Bome MIDI Translator Pro detects this key command and sends out a cc message on this track to enable the VEPro instrument. Another key command does the opposite, first sending out a cc message to disable the instrument in VEPro and then disable the midi track. This is useful for keeping track of what's enabled/disabled in VEPro as well as opening up possibilities for project logical editor visibility stuff based on track disabled status.

This is how I have set up with iPad/metagrid.

The only drag is that the meter channel in CB will get ''stuck'' unless I program in more delay time to let it go to zero before disabling CB's track. This only happens with CB as I have the same template in PT and enable/disable PT/VEPRO is instant.

Top Bottom