What's new

VEP7 Special Offer

You will get faster loading times and saving times over the network...
But more important you'll get lightning fast support.
I just want to get that in print.
I've had a few issues/questions and support have been lightning fast.
As in minutes.
I did use the chat function and I live in Europe.
Not saying you need the latest version for that, but it's great to know your investment is in good hands.
Kind Regards,
Anders

Reactions: Ben
Speaking of purchasing by impulse - I hope to see a sale of MIR rooms. In particular the Synchron pack, after all these new releases of Synchron libraries.

Paolo

So here is my question. I think when it was first introduced, or maybe it was VEP5 I contemplated buying it and didn't whilst it was on sale and somewhat regretted it then.
Truth is I don't currently do much orchestration but have/hope to at some point. I have two setups, a mac and a pc, so I imagine I can get one powerful slave and be able to acces that from the pc when I am using the pc or the mac when I am using the mac.

But the real question is, as computers have gotten more powerful and with larger memory space, beyond quicker loading time of projects (since the instruments are on the slave) is there really a need for vep in 2020?

More so if currently I have no slave, apart from being able to keep my samples etc loaded at all times whether I close Cubendo or not, is there any other advantage of using VEP Server on the same computer as your DAW etc?
thanks
rsp

Yes, you can openand use VEP6 with an VEP7 license, but make a backup copy of your project. Projects saved with VEP7 can't be opened with VEP6.
IIRC you can only have VEP6 or VEP7 installed on the computer. They don't coexist.

But the real question is, as computers have gotten more powerful and with larger memory space, beyond quicker loading time of projects (since the instruments are on the slave) is there really a need for vep in 2020?
I found that booting up both master and slave, particularly if you have to do it several times a day, is slow and sometimes manual (i.e. manually connecting the VEPro instances) so I'm mainly on a single computer these days. However, you might want VEPro on the master as a host to MIR if you have it. I tend to put percussive instruments (drums, piano) into MIR to better match other (wet) libraries. Also, I use Sibelius as a DAW with VSTs hanging off it, and VEPro can be the attached mixer-host of a bunch of VSL instruments (their 'VI' series), just like a single Kontakt can host multiple instruments. More convenient than hanging a bunch of VIPro instances off of Sibelius (or any DAW).

I am not familiar at all with vep, nor with the master slave setup.
I have a powerfull daw pc (i9, 64gb). I also have a NAS, but I don't think vep will run on that? Does the slave have to be as powerful as the master to have any benefit?

In most cases you want your networked computer with VEP do the heavy lifting regarding sampled instruments and maybe also pre-mix the sections with effects. So yes, your networked computer should be able to run these.
But there are also good reasons to run VEP on your DAW computer.

I have a powerfull daw pc (i9, 64gb). I also have a NAS, but I don't think vep will run on that? Does the slave have to be as powerful as the master to have any benefit?
Your DAW is powerful enough to run significant orchestral jobs. And even if you hear the occasional glitch while you are interactively developing the music, if you render each track to audio before final mixdown, it should go smoothly. All the same, VEPro is a fundamental enabler of a networked system wherein you allow the slave system to be entirely dedicating to crunching the instrument samples. In my experience, if you are using a large template of VSL instruments, bringing up the VEPro server on the slave with multiple VEPro instances hosting many instruments, is a good way to offload your master DAW system so it can handle all other responsibilities. But still, I've discovered that I can run large templates of Spitfire, OT, CSS, etc. instruments entirely on an i7 32Gig host system without needing the slave at all.

a few reasons:

1. you can load up your orchestra leave it loaded in ram while you switch DAW projects quickly that connect to it

2. while doing the above you can mix your loaded orch in VePro so that multiple DAW projects (say cues from a film), will be using roughly the same orchestral mix.

3. It can sometimes be convenient to use VePro as a way to build up a larger hybrid instrument where you are combining articulations from different libraries, etc..and have them accessed in simple manner from your DAW as if its just a simple instrument. You can do a lot of that with DAW's themselves, but this just provides a bit more straightforward manner to do it and hides the complexity inside VePro.

4. If you're using VSL products such as their sample libraries or MirPro, VePro has some workflow enhancements designed to make the workflow with this products just a little smoother.

5. VePro makes better use of threading then some (not all) DAW's, so you can possibly get a bit better overall performance in some cases.

a few reasons:

1. you can load up your orchestra leave it loaded in ram while you switch DAW projects quickly that connect to it

2. while doing the above you can mix your loaded orch in VePro so that multiple DAW projects (say cues from a film), will be using roughly the same orchestral mix.

3. It can sometimes be convenient to use VePro as a way to build up a larger hybrid instrument where you are combining articulations from different libraries, etc..and have them accessed in simple manner from your DAW as if its just a simple instrument. You can do a lot of that with DAW's themselves, but this just provides a bit more straightforward manner to do it and hides the complexity inside VePro.

4. If you're using VSL products such as their sample libraries or MirPro, VePro has some workflow enhancements designed to make the workflow with this products just a little smoother.

5. VePro makes better use of threading then some (not all) DAW's, so you can possibly get a bit better overall performance in some cases.

Yeah Honestly there should be a sticky about this. I have answered this question so many times in the past few years that I physically can’t type them out anymore. I’ve even explained the benefits to tutors at Universities I have studied at! 😂

Not in my experience. Logic is very efficient.
Has this changed recently?
I don't use Logic, only test on it. And from what I've heard and read people always complained about Logics multi-core performance, at least that's my impression.

That’s very incorrect. I did a big thread about this a year or two ago comparing all the daws on Mac with and without vepro. Logicpro with and without vepro was the best performer by a significant margin, slightly better without. That was while mixing a 100 track project and without live recording.

On the other hand cubase couldn’t even perform the test without vepro. Cubase Mac performance has been quite bad,but they improved it after I did that testing.

dp was second worst but cubase was quite a bit worse. They both benefitted from vepro in terms of performance. Studio one was very good also not as good as logicpro but impressive. Logicpro beat everyone with and without vepro but overall cpu utilization was slightly better without vepro.

live recording is an area where logicpro is often misused so if you don’t know what you are doing and you throw a lot of plugins into that live signal path while recording then it can all hit one core. Every time you hear someone complaining about cpu spikes in logicpro it’s nearly always because of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom