What's new

VEP useful for only one computer?

Indeed useful. It's friendlier to your resources than many DAWs on their own and it also makes sense to have an additional screen for it.

It is definitely helpful, but I have actually gone the other way.....by not using VEPro on a single machine. With SSD's, I really don't mind waiting an extra minute or two when switching projects, and my Mac doesn't hiccup now that I've done away with useless mammoth templates. After years of this, I now know exactly what I'll need a for a given project. Removing VEPro is just one less thing to screw up.

Hi everyone,
I hope this confinement is bearable to you...

I would have liked to know if you think that VEP is really useful if you have only one computer.
I use only one computer and VEP is extremely useful as DP10 cannot have near the number of FX and VIs going at once as it can when VEP is the host. It's a night and day difference.

So I've been experimenting on my 2014 Macbook Pro (2.5 GHZ I7 16GB, running samples off 2 SSDs),

I'm trying to figure out how far I can push this thing with a large template with minimal freezing.

Basically building a template in Logic, purging, and adding additional instruments/tracks until I start getting CPU hangup/system overload. I get to about 70 tracks then I get hang-ups and freezing.

If I loaded and purged each track but with VEP on this same (single) machine, would there be a significant increase in performance? IE, more processing power available?

I know an upgrade with VEP and an additional machine is inevitable if i want to run big templates but I'd be curious to see how far I can push my MBP here :)

Would running VEP on my single machine be worth it in this case?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 5.20.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 5.20.58 PM.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 3
In Logic, you would getting better core distribution. The question is, do you really need a massive template? If so, a slave machine would be in order.

Edit: you could demo VEPro and see if there’s enough difference.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, or maybe I missed it, but my favorite thing about running VEP is during the creative process being able to load sounds instantly.

VePro is great, glad I have it.

• can leave instruments loaded while switching between cues. saves time AND ensures consistent instrument sound between related cues.

• Facilitates setting up multi-instrument situations such as articulations across midi channels

• If you use VSL instruments, there are some little time saver features specifically related to VSL instruments.
All that being said, I am starting to enjoy working without it when I don't have to switch between cues a lot. I prefer the more simple setup that way.

• I like that I can go directly to the plugin window directly in the DAW.

• I like that I don't have to map automation parameters, etc.

• I like that there is one less thing to crash or go wrong.

• I like that everything related to the project is saved in the DAW project.
I think for slave setups, VePro makes a lot more sense, one of these days i will probably add a VePro slave, and then I will find myself using it a lot more that way I think. As far as single machine, I have kind of been going back and forth a lot and I think basically if I have a project where I will be switching between cues a lot, then i will definitely use it. Otherwise, I might not.

Top Bottom