What's new

VEP Pro Audio Drop Issues - iMac Pro with PC Slave

ryanstrong

I am experiencing audio drop outs while playing back projects with VE Pro. I know for sure my system(s) should be able to handle the load.

Brand new iMac Pro 8-core, 64 gig of ram, VisionDAW PC 32 gig of ram. All SSDs across the board.

My suspicion is that it's a networking issue and/or VE Pro isn't configured properly. Thoughts?

Hey Mate,

This could potentially be so many things...
We kinda need a fair bit of extra info before going into that murky world of differential diagnosis ;)

What is the DAW you are using on the imac pro?
How is your network setup?
What is your interface?
What are your Buffer settings (for the interface & buffers setup in VEP)
What do you mean by audio dropouts - can you explain what happens a bit more?
What instruments cause the dropouts?

A great first test is just opening a new session (everything else the same) in your DAW
Then just using a single track - are there still dropouts?
And then keep adding duplicates of the track - and associated tracks in VEP - until the dropouts occur. It can tell you much about both the type of problem and the possible causes.

Another test is just to load the VEP software onto the imac pro as well (it should handle it - though it does depend how big the sessions are...) and just run it locally on the one single machine.
Is the VisionDAW new? Has it run ok in the past?

Like I said - lots of questions - but we'll need the answers to begin to help!

OK will answer your questions BUT I think I actually may have figured something out.

My iMac Pro is a brand new computer. Since 2012 I’ve had a standard iMac. When I got the Pro I used my same Cubase 9.5 orchestral template.

I just tried creating a project from scratch and have gotten a pretty decent track count to where I should be experiencing the “audio drop outs”.

Im going to do further testing tomorrow, spent hours on this today too tired!

Audio drop outs = moments of silence every few seconds, especially when it comes to a portion of the project where it’s playing multiple tracks.

- iMac Pro 8-core 64 gigs
- Vision Daw 32gigs win7
- Using Cubase 9.5.
- Cubase Buffer 192
- VE Pro 2 buffers
- iMac Pro Mojave - going to a switch
VisionDAW PC windows 7 slave going to a switch.
- Latest VE Pro.
- RME Fireface 802.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that when I click on any MIDI track Cubase is set up so it automatically ARMS the track. But when I click from track to track during playback the project will stutter.

When I updated from windows 7 to windows 10 pro, similar problems as yours disappeared.
If you have firewall turned on try to turn it off....
Hmmm, seems like a pretty drastic solution.

I'm still experiencing audio drop outs during playback when I cycle through and click on any VE Pro MIDI track. I know my Cubase is set up to automatically arms/record enables the track.

SOLVED! By turning off ASIO guard the system started flying! For some crazy reason that was the issue. Shout out to VisionDAW for the excellent support! Highly recommend them for your slave PC needs.

Top Bottom