Vep over adat

Phil81

I have patiently tried to use VEP over LAN over the last few months but these clicks/pops that suddenly occur - though not many - are just frustrating. I get super mad when I’m in the middle of a passage and suddenly hear that “pop”. Urgh. I also can’t work with 512 samples since I do all writing on a midi keyboard.

Every hardware test I’ve made on my computers was successful, so I can confidently say it’sVEP and Ethernet.

Instead of working with VEP server, how are things over ADAT audio? Has anyone found frustrating, unreliable issues with this setting? Also, how reliable is ipMIDI? Dropouts, hanging notes, anything unusual?

Thanks everyone!

sinkd

Every hardware test I’ve made on my computers was successful, so I can confidently say it’sVEP and Ethernet.
!
I moved from a MIDIoverLAN/ADAT audio setup to VEPro many years ago and never looked back. Can you tell us more about your VEPro setup and maybe we can help troubleshoot? Swapping out for a new router once solved issues I was having like the ones you describe, for example. Are you on a Mac or PC for your main DAW?

OP
P

Phil81

I moved from a MIDIoverLAN/ADAT audio setup to VEPro many years ago and never looked back. Can you tell us more about your VEPro setup and maybe we can help troubleshoot? Swapping out for a new router once solved issues I was having like the ones you describe, for example. Are you on a Mac or PC for your main DAW?
PCs.

Master daw: i9 9900k 64gbram, onboard intel Ethernet chipset i921v if im not mistaken.

Slave: i7 7700k, same onboard Ethernet chipset. Same amount of ram.

Both computers linked by a 1m cat6 Ethernet cable. No router involved.

On Ethernet settings, everything is configured accordingly. Ticked every possible “wake on” and “power saving” off, set jumbo packets on, and both are set to 1gb full-duplex.

I have done everything that is available on VI-Control threads (unless something is buried deep within that I have might missed).

I want to run VEP at 256 buffer size but no more than that.

My frustration generally kicks in when loading three bus channels, one with spitfire’s chamber strings ensemble patch.

Perhaps I should buy dedicated intel Ethernet cards?

chillbot

Sock Muppet
spitfire’s chamber strings
I run MidiOverLAN and ADAT with very few issues, low latency. However the bottleneck would be your audio card on the slave. I use the RME HDSPe RayDAT with 24 channels of ADAT coming out. Spitfire Chamber Strings is one of the "very few" issues (also Taiko Creator), and only with the legato patches, but I have to bump the buffer up to 256.

sinkd

You mean three VST channels? One with Chamber Strings? Also are you streaming SCS from an SSD?
VEPRo Instance Prefs, of course... When you experience the dropouts, do you see the CPU % spike in VEPro?

OP
P

Phil81

You mean three VST channels? One with Chamber Strings? Also are you streaming SCS from an SSD?
VEPRo Instance Prefs, of course... When you experience the dropouts, do you see the CPU % spike in VEPro?
Yes to all :). I only have ssds and nvmes in all my systems.

CPU does not spike.

OP
P

Phil81

What are you currently using for an audio card/interface?
RME Babyface Pro. What bothers me is that these pops/clicks come ONLY when I’m playing inspiring passages...like one of those moments when inspiration kicks in and I just have to play live...Haha. When I’m just writing for the sake of writing, everything works perfectly (generally at 256 samples RTL on VEP). Because of these weird random clicks/pops, sometimes I dream of throwing my slave machine out the window, but then I realise I’d have to compromise quite a bit if I dealt with a single machine to do all the work. Haha.

Last edited:

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
one thought would be to make more VEP instances and not have eveyrthing in one.... which is more like a "feeling i have" rather than real techy answer :)

on the other hand.. i have a maudio lightbridge adat FW interface for sale :)

OP
P

Phil81

Btw guys, I apologize for having most of my posts be about VEP.
one thought would be to make more VEP instances and not have eveyrthing in one.... which is more like a "feeling i have" rather than real techy answer :)

on the other hand.. i have a maudio lightbridge adat FW interface for sale :)
But do you think Spitfire Chamber Strings deserves to be in its own exclusive instance? I'm only using SCS's ensemble patch with 2 mic positions loaded to ram. The other VST channels I have in the same instance are Battery and NI Una Corda. :)

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
you woudnt believe how crappy it is for us in the audio units world of VEP and having almost an instance per instrument. (16 ins max but some ppl use one per instrument)

Dewdman42

If you're gonna use network midi and some kind of digital audio feed directly to your sound card, then there is not much point in using VEP.

VEP also provides proper plugin latency compensation in your daw when used the normal way... if you route the audio out of ADAT or over some other network audio protocol...you have no idea what the latency is for network midi and network audio and whatever plugins you're using, you will be constantly tweaking with that in your DAW. I hear you about the latency being poor enough that its hard to play the instruments. Make sure you have VEP plugin buffers set as low as possible when you're doing that, but that will produce clicks sometimes. No way around it. When you go over the network, you need more buffer to handle it. It would be a nice feature if VEP allowed us to send the audio for one channel out directly to an audio port on the slave machine for lowest possible latency while recording the midi..then switch it back to normal for proper PDC during multi-track playback.

Anyway, I would suggest you work on your networking first before throwing in the towel on normal VEP usage. Make sure you use a dedicated network port on your DAW machine with a single crossover cable connecting your DAW machine to your slave machine. Do not run VEP networking through a switch or router or mix with other network activity of your home/studio network. I think if you do that you will get as good network performance as you're going to get.

Dewdman42

you woudnt believe how crappy it is for us in the audio units world of VEP and having almost an instance per instrument. (16 ins max but some ppl use one per instrument)
I suspect that network performance would be much more efficient if using a single instance or at least limited to just a few. I am not using a VEP server yet so I don't have empirical evidence of that, but it makes sense that it would.

Only way to do that on LogicPro right now is with my Multiport macro templates.... and there are pros and cons to using that, but it does enable the possibility of a single VEP instance and many tracks in Logic.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=137085#p703323

OP
P

Phil81

Make sure you use a dedicated network port on your DAW machine with a single crossover cable connecting your DAW machine to your slave machine.

My last resort would be to buy two dedicated Ethernet cards and snap them into both my motherboards, but that means spending more money on workarounds. I'm still contemplating about it.

OP
P

Phil81

Buy it somewhere with a return policy and try it out. Network cards aren't expensive.
What I have noticed though is that, the more I stress the motherboard's integrated ethernet port by adding more and more instruments/instances, the less these clicks/pops occur - which brings me to think: "Is there any power saving feature that I haven't unchecked in Ethernet settings?" I'm quite sure I have unchecked all.

sinkd

Can you give me a rundown or screen shot of your VEP Instances prefs?

Another thing to tweak would be the video resolution on your slave. Since VEPro is not spiking, the issue may well be the on-board ethernet. I have never used VEPro Server in a peer-to-peer direct connect. Always through a switch even when I was down to one slave, but I have moved my template to a single (upgraded Mac 2009) machine at this point.