What's new

VEP and FL Studio : has anyone successfully used it?

bfreepro

Infinite Musical Possibilities
Has anyone successfully integrated Vienna Ensemble Pro into FL Studio, getting it to perform live with no distortion and ALSO exporting to audio?

They seem notorious for not working well together, and for reference, there's an entire thread that has a fix for this here (HUGE help and thanks to the OP for this) https://vi-control.net/…/fl-studio-and-vienna-ensemble-pro…/

It works for getting rid of the distorted audio and lag, but when I export my track, it freezes 100% of the time and crashes VEP. The problem is strictly with FL interacting with VEP, as soon as VEP crashes, the project exports, and the VEP instances export fine in the Cubase trial I've been trying out.

Even with just one instance of VEP as a test, the track exports, but the audio is just awful glitchy electronic sounds.

I figured it's a long shot, but worth asking here.

I know it's not much help, but 5-6 years ago, I did have FL studio working well with VEP5. Fixed size buffers were necessary even then, like @kimarnesen said. But things exported just fine for me.

It may be just some innocent bugs crept in over time, and maybe VSL or image line can help?

I can't remember, is there a vst3 and vst2 version of VE pro? If so, maybe try one it the other.

Also, when rendering, I used to use "notify plug-in of rendering mode" or something like that. I think it's an option in the fruity wrapper settings. Try toggling that? And try keeping it the same for all instances of the VE plug-in?

Also what plugins are you using within VE pro? What happens if you mute all channels, will you still get it to crash? What happens if you delete instruments from VE pro, can you get it to not crash somehow? Just a guess that could be useful info for VSL to to try to help.

beyond that, sorry I won't be very helpful. I've long since migrated to cubase.

I've toggled on and off "notify about rendering mode" for every one, along with different sub settings within the "used fix sized buffers" selection. I am in contact with VSL support as well, I just wanted to go this route and see if anyone had similar experiences.

The test project is multiple instances of VEP and the Vienna Pro Event Input plugin for the different midi tracks. No other plugins were used.

Another test project used just one instance of VEP, playing like four notes from a violin ensemble.
The exported audio is just awful, glitchy electronic noises.

I've actually purchased Studio One after trying it out along with Cubase Pro, but will continue to update this thread as I hear back from VSL and/or Image Line Support

Getting VEP to work in FL seems to be a mystery by VSL and Image Line. It's much easier just to use it in another DAW. Less setting up.
I agree. It's a damn shame. I love FL for it's fast and simple workflow but with larger projects it was becoming more and more unstable and prone to crashes.

Gotta get Logic.
I don't use Mac, or else I would, trust me. I just got Studio One 4. I tried Cubase as well as Studio One and found the latter to be much better for me personally. Super fast workflow and all the features I need.

I did love FL studio's unique UI and workflow stuff. I sorely missed the basic L/R stereo delay plug-in, wave shaper fx, and great visualizations on compressors and EQ. They're midi editing was super fast, too, great for editing subtle performance details on complex musical parts.

Funny thing, even though I use cubase now - for some reason the FL Studio ASIO driver has been the only ASIO implementation that has worked almost flawlessly for me for many years. It plays well with Windows sounds in general and had been rock solid stable. Latency is higher but I've been able to tolerate it. I think they just routed asio output to Windows system audio, but it worked for me.

I don't use Mac, or else I would, trust me. I just got Studio One 4. I tried Cubase as well as Studio One and found the latter to be much better for me personally. Super fast workflow and all the features I need.

Studio One is one of the easiest DAWs to transition to. I don't like configuring midi ports in FL just to use something like Kontakt.

Studio One was a flawless transition for me, I was really surprised. I'm insanely happy with it so far. Just worth mentioning for any FL Studio users reading who may want to switch DAWs.... Studio One was so incredibly simple to switch to compared to Cubase... Cubase may have a bit beefier features, but the most important thing to me is just getting in and start to make music ASAP. So of course make sure you try both (before switching lol) with the free trials (can get 30 days of Cubase Pro with an eLicenser dongle, otherwise the trial is for the "elements" version.) :)

Has anyone successfully integrated Vienna Ensemble Pro into FL Studio, getting it to perform live with no distortion and ALSO exporting to audio?

They seem notorious for not working well together, and for reference, there's an entire thread that has a fix for this here (HUGE help and thanks to the OP for this) https://vi-control.net/…/fl-studio-and-vienna-ensemble-pro…/

It works for getting rid of the distorted audio and lag, but when I export my track, it freezes 100% of the time and crashes VEP. The problem is strictly with FL interacting with VEP, as soon as VEP crashes, the project exports, and the VEP instances export fine in the Cubase trial I've been trying out.

Even with just one instance of VEP as a test, the track exports, but the audio is just awful glitchy electronic sounds.

I figured it's a long shot, but worth asking here.

Hi there! Just here to remind you that you can reach out to our support team at any time regarding VEP. ILIO is the distributor for VSL in North America and we have real humans, screen sharing capability, and a genuine concern for getting your work flow back to max efficiency. :)

ILIO.com/contact.html

Top Bottom