What's new

VEP 7 simple questions.

jaketanner

HI and thanks for the replies.

I have a couple of simple questions that I am struggling with in VEP...Watched the Groove3 tutorial video and it just gave me a bunch of questions, here are a couple:

What is the difference between using an instrument channel to host Kontakt or Omnisphere verses using a bus within VEP? They both seem to do the trick either way...so what's the benefit? COMMAND B, on Mac...bus, or I click the little instrument ICON on the bottom left...thanks.

Is it best in a master template, to save instances as decoupled? And then when I am finished with the session, I will save the VEP project in coupled? Or is that only if changes were made in VEP?

Last: Can I create a template in the standalone version, then import them into a server? It would be quicker to just have VEP open rather than any particular DAW, since I will be switching between Cubase and Pro Tools. Thanks.

Last edited:
What is the difference between using an instrument channel to host Kontakt or Omnisphere? They both seem to do the trick either way...so what's the benefit? COMMAND B, on Mac...bus, or I click the little instrument ICON on the bottom left...thanks.

I think its a matter of choice esp in this time, the power from machines is quite abit, even VSL said that the trend is going to be one machine.

I think loading a ton of instruments and effects on a seprate machine server is my preferenc becuase it uses its own ram and CPU and gives a lot of head room, i do use VEpro on local rather than instrument track but this is just preference i think i just dont want the DAW to be doing everything. it is a bit longer to set up but i feel like i have more controle and options over what i want to do when using VEpro.

even if i had a very powerful machine i think i would still opt for a server using VEpro both local and on the server, but its maybe nethier here or there to some so no big deal just see how you feel by trying different set ups and if one works go for it.

Is it best in a master template, to save instances as decoupled? And then when I am finished with the session, I will save the VEP project in coupled? Or is that only if changes were made in VEP?

I think as long as nothing has changed in your DAW when recording or writing decoupled is fine your DAW will always playback what was saved, the only thing you need to do is what ever changes you make in VEpro you need to save the server project from what ever one you made the change in

Last: Can I create a template in the standalone version, then import them into a server? It would be quicker to just have VEP open rather than any particular DAW, since I will be switching between Cubase and Pro Tools. Thanks.

yes once you creat any template and save it you can use what ever DAW you want just look for it in your DAW.

I think its a matter of choice esp in this time, the power from machines is quite abit, even VSL said that the trend is going to be one machine.

I think loading a ton of instruments and effects on a seprate machine server is my preferenc becuase it uses its own ram and CPU and gives a lot of head room, i do use VEpro on local rather than instrument track but this is just preference i think i just dont want the DAW to be doing everything. it is a bit longer to set up but i feel like i have more controle and options over what i want to do when using VEpro.

even if i had a very powerful machine i think i would still opt for a server using VEpro both local and on the server, but its maybe nethier here or there to some so no big deal just see how you feel by trying different set ups and if one works go for it.

I think as long as nothing has changed in your DAW when recording or writing decoupled is fine your DAW will always playback what was saved, the only thing you need to do is what ever changes you make in VEpro you need to save the server project from what ever one you made the change in

yes once you creat any template and save it you can use what ever DAW you want just look for it in your DAW.
Thank you for the reply...My bad though, I edited the question...I wanted to know the difference between the instrument channel and Bus WITHIN VEP...Like if I use COMMAND B, or click the little icon at the bottom left...they are identical to me, but there has to be a difference?

What is the difference between using an instrument channel to host Kontakt or Omnisphere verses using a bus within VEP?

Busses in mixers are submixes, independent of the main one. So normally you'd put the instruments on regular channels and then send whatever amount of each instrument you want to, say, a reverb shared between more than one instrument.

Busses might also be for headphone mixes or stems, in which case they'd be sent to separate outputs. (Stems are also submixes, for example you might have one for all your strings, all your drums, etc.)

1585361505560.png

Was just curious because I can put an instrument on a bus or channel and it behaves the same. Wondering if one has better latency over the other?

Was just curious because I can put an instrument on a bus or channel and it behaves the same. Wondering if one has better latency over the other?
Since VEP6 (if I remember correctly) there is no difference between these. All channel strips are simply busses. You can either route audio to busses via sends or output-routing like in most DAWs, or setup the bus to be host of an audio source (Audio Input Plugin, host an instrument plugin, or additional outputs of hosted instrument plugins). No difference in latency (not counting the latency of the instruments and/or fx plugins).
The +/- buttons on multi-output instruments simply there to help you to setup everything quicker. You will get the same result by adding a bus and setting "IN" to Input -> name of plugin and output number.

For the same reason there are multiple add-channel-buttons: It helps you to add pre-configured, so you have less work configuring them manually.

Since VEP6 (if I remember correctly) there is no difference between these. All channel strips are simply busses. You can either route audio to busses via sends or output-routing like in most DAWs, or setup the bus to be host of an audio source (Audio Input Plugin, host an instrument plugin, or additional outputs of hosted instrument plugins). No difference in latency (not counting the latency of the instruments and/or fx plugins).
The +/- buttons on multi-output instruments simply there to help you to setup everything quicker. You will get the same result by adding a bus and setting "IN" to Input -> name of plugin and output number.

For the same reason there are multiple add-channel-buttons: It helps you to add pre-configured, so you have less work configuring them manually.
Thanks Ben, exactly what I wanted to know. And if I create a stand alone VEP template, can a server import that project?

Sure! Feel free to use the standalone to setup your template instance and load it later in the server.
If you already have some preconfigured projects, you can even import parts of it into your current instance. This helps to re-use parts of a different project, or merge multiple instances.

Sure! Feel free to use the standalone to setup your template instance and load it later in the server.
If you already have some preconfigured projects, you can even import parts of it into your current instance. This helps to re-use parts of a different project, or merge multiple instances.
Awesome. Will save me to set up in the daw and can work a bit easier to create it. Thanks again.

Reactions: Ben
Lol,:2thumbs: i can get very chatty some times, i think i i took time to look at your post i would have understood.
All good...I think I made it confusing. :) Thanks for taking the time. My issue now is the damn saving... LOL Do I save instances or server projects? What's the difference.

Save both. If for whatever reason a server project gets corrupted, you can rebuild easily by loading instances.

Why when I load an Instance into a new Project does the name come up "Untitled"?

Shouldn't we be able to easily add, say, an already-existing Superior 3 Instance, an SY Elite Strings Instance, and an Imperial Piano instance into a new Server Project and have the names match by default?

Top Bottom