What's new

VEP 5 to VEP 6-all my projects screwed up

NYC Composer

My transition from VEP 5 to VEP 6 messed up all of my former projects. Songs opened with incorrect routings, everything has to be rebuilt. I’m looking to downgrade. I’m on Mac El Capitan.

Was the transition smooth for others?

X-Bassist

Your not talking about VEPro 7? VEP6 has been out for a while and is pretty stable, just check the compatability with El Cap, but 6 was a big upgrade being able to turn off channels to save Ram. VEP7 added more functionality and has been a smooth upgrade process (all my many templetes open fine when migrated from 5 to 6 to 7 over the last 3 years. Strange the patching is wrong on yours.

OP
N

NYC Composer

No, I’m definitely talking about VEP5 upgraded to VEP6. Routings definitely changed, some vanished entirely. Maybe it’s specific to my system, which is why I’m asking around. I love the software, but this issue has been unnerving.

kmaster

Now in LA: let's get coffee!
Just to confirm, you have the same number of MIDI ports/Audio outputs/Audio inputs per instance set the same on 6 as you did on 5?

Reactions: Ben
OP
N

NYC Composer

Interesting thought. I accepted the default,which I think was more than I had in 5 but can’t check unless I downgrade, which I probably will do.

novaburst

VEP7 added more functionality and has been a smooth upgrade process (all my many templetes open fine when migrated from 5 to 6 to 7
@X-Bassist

I left VEpro 7 on the shelf in my VSL to grow a little, I did see a significant amount of complaints about it, crash, slow boot up and plugins disappeared,

This could be down to project size and very heavy usage, as the complaints came from very heavy users, may i ask your setup and usages and DAW as most complaints came from cubase users.

Ben

VSL Support
There was a bug in Cubase which messed all routing up that when using MIDI ports. It should be fixed with version 9.2+ I think.
Also as already mentioned make sure you set the MIDI- and Audio- port-count correctly.
You could also try using VEP7, maybe this works better.

In all cases: Make sure you have made a backup of the project files before opening them! You can upgrade from an older VEP version to a newer one, but the other way round is not possible!

X-Bassist

@X-Bassist

I left VEpro 7 on the shelf in my VSL to grow a little, I did see a significant amount of complaints about it, crash, slow boot up and plugins disappeared,

This could be down to project size and very heavy usage, as the complaints came from very heavy users, may i ask your setup and usages and DAW as most complaints came from cubase users.
I also waited a while, but figured I would give it a shot a couple of weeks ago. I’ve noticed no problems in templetes with a few hundred midi tracks, but I’m working in Pro Tools 2019 (on Mac High Sierra), not cubase.

TBH I like the small features added, but there is not a huge difference between 6 and 7. I’m a little disappointed they have you pay for updates that have so few improvements, but I realize we are getting to that point where software upgrades are becoming refinements instead of new features. The same is true of Mac OS (I can’t tell the difference between Mavericks and Mojave, or all the versions between) and Pro Tools (the latest, although some good new features, looks and works just like PT9 thru PT12 and 2018... Yet still no track folders (#1 requested feature for years) :rolleyes:

I suppose they are concerned we will get to the ultimate DAW then stop paying them. They are not wrong. But a virtual assistant (setting up tracks, suggesting eq/ compression settings, suggestions for instruments that could be added to a song) would be an interesting add that would excite new buyers. Hopefully they will realize forging forward will be more profitable than slowing down progress.

Back OT, VEP6 had gotten as solid as 5 (which was a rock in the end), so if you need 2 or 3 licenses it may be better to stick with 6 for a while. My system starts slowing on large film sessions, so I’m hoping 7 will make things smoother eventually. So far, so good.

Last edited:

novaburst

I also waited a while, but figured I would give it a shot a couple of weeks ago. I’ve noticed no problems in templetes with a few hundred midi tracks, but I’m working in Pro Tools 2019 (on Mac High Sierra), not cubase.

TBH I like the small features added, but there is not a huge difference between 6 and 7. I’m a little disappointed they have you pay for updates that have so few improvements, but I realize we are getting to that point where software upgrades are becoming refinements instead of new features. The same is true of Mac OS (I can’t tell the difference between Mavericks and Mojave, or all the versions between) and Pro Tools (the latest, although some good new features, looks and works just like PT9 thru PT12 and 2018... Yet still no track folders (#1 requested feature for years) :rolleyes:

I suppose they are concerned we will get to the ultimate DAW then stop paying them. They are not wrong. But a virtual assistant (setting up tracks, suggesting eq/ compression settings, suggestions for instruments that could be added to a song) would be an interesting add that would excite new buyers. Hopefully they will realize forging forward will be more profitable than slowing down progress.

Back OT, VEP6 had gotten as solid as 5 (which was a rock in the end), so if you need 2 or 3 licenses it may be better to stick with 6 for a while. My system starts slowing on large film sessions, so I’m hoping 7 will make things smoother eventually. So far, so good.
Well i must say this is very encouraging, thanks for the info. i do feel a bit better about it now.

Top Bottom