What's new

Venice Modern Strings - Intro offer ends in 24h

ism

Hi Guys - I have written a quick 2 minute piece to demo Venice Strings. I really like it, Its uber sweet, very real, when I listened back and heard a human breath I almost died! ha....I even question my self if id recorded real musicians! well, of course it is that anyway...but it certainly brought home the very real nature of this strings. I hope you enjoy it. :)

That is absolutely gorgeous. It completely sells me on what's so wonderful about this library.

A real sense of ... 'Fluffy-ness'? ... for lack of a better word.

An entirely worth companion to Dominus.

ism

That said ... trying to put my finger on what exactly is this sense of 'Fluffy-ness' ... and not sure I know exactly, by I know it when I hear it.

Mike Marino

Hi Guys - I have written a quick 2 minute piece to demo Venice Strings. I really like it, Its uber sweet, very real, when I listened back and heard a human breath I almost died! ha....I even question my self if id recorded real musicians! well, of course it is that anyway...but it certainly brought home the very real nature of this strings. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Wonderful stuff!

OP
paoling

paoling

Developer
Hello guys!

Unfortunately we can't find the time to do another video walkthrough now, because we have an upcoming project next week. But you'll hear more news about Venice this year, for sure!

• The videos suggest that hard velocity triggers slower legato transitions and lower velocities trigger faster transitions. Have I got that wrong? Can I invert it (since most other libraries do faster transitions on harder velocities)?
  • Can I control the short notes dynamics using a CC (rather than velocity)?
  • Have you considered a con sordino filter?
1-Harder Velocities / Pitchwheel / CC Values (whatever you choose) triggers the Bow Change legato, which is not at all faster than the fingered legato.
2-At the moment no, but we've added this into the feature suggestion!
3-Yes, we have considered but we need a fair amount of time to study how the frequency change of string when a sordino is applied. We'll surely want to add it.

No - you misunderstand me. I am not interested in audio compression, but I find many (most) libraries too dynamic. The louds are too loud compared to the softs. That's because of the mic positioning, which exaggerates dynamics in relation to how we perceive the sound when listening.
I don't believe this happens with our library. This is tends to be the result of bad volume trickeries in the programming part. Or maybe a bad effect of normalization (which we don't do).
Often developers (including us in some very simple instruments) tend to use the volume to emulate the dynamic. And this results in some lack of presence at the lower dynamics (or too much presence at higher ones). What mainly change between the different dynamic layers is the amount of harmonics that the instrument produce, so in some cases a filter would work better than volume trickeries.

Anyway this doesn't happen of course in Venice. Except for maybe the first 10 modwheel values which go from silence to pianissimo, at all the other modwheel values you'll hear a certain section playing at their correct volume.

I loved Peter demo. In few phrases it captures the much of the beauty of this library!

So I asked him the midi of his piece, to show you the different mic positions.

(all cues are of course, without any reverb, and the spot mics are panned with the included tools, since their default position is set in front of the section)

We are thinking about a few ideas about the future of Venice Modern Strings. Feel free to write us to tell your opinions and suggestions!

axb312

Hello guys!

Unfortunately we can't find the time to do another video walkthrough now, because we have an upcoming project next week. But you'll hear more news about Venice this year, for sure!

1-Harder Velocities / Pitchwheel / CC Values (whatever you choose) triggers the Bow Change legato, which is not at all faster than the fingered legato.
2-At the moment no, but we've added this into the feature suggestion!
3-Yes, we have considered but we need a fair amount of time to study how the frequency change of string when a sordino is applied. We'll surely want to add it.

I don't believe this happens with our library. This is tends to be the result of bad volume trickeries in the programming part. Or maybe a bad effect of normalization (which we don't do).
Often developers (including us in some very simple instruments) tend to use the volume to emulate the dynamic. And this results in some lack of presence at the lower dynamics (or too much presence at higher ones). What mainly change between the different dynamic layers is the amount of harmonics that the instrument produce, so in some cases a filter would work better than volume trickeries.

Anyway this doesn't happen of course in Venice. Except for maybe the first 10 modwheel values which go from silence to pianissimo, at all the other modwheel values you'll hear a certain section playing at their correct volume.

I loved Peter demo. In few phrases it captures the much of the beauty of this library!

So I asked him the midi of his piece, to show you the different mic positions.

(all cues are of course, without any reverb, and the spot mics are panned with the included tools, since their default position is set in front of the section)

We are thinking about a few ideas about the future of Venice Modern Strings. Feel free to write us to tell your opinions and suggestions!
Close mics sound sublime. Mid mics sound like the panning is reversed to me for some reason (Violins on the right).

I would love to see a demo showcasing Venice strings playing more lively/ faster parts well.

Hello guys!

Read portamento is fixed, but I assume we can turn it off, yes? Is there an option to have the 5th note from the start of the piece NOT have such a exaggerated gliss? Whenever I hear these transitions they always scream string samples.

constaneum

Has anyone actually started reviewing this library? curious....i like the sound of the spot mics but i'm really curious with the rest of the articulations which aren't shown or explained much in the walkthrough.

OP
paoling

paoling

Developer
Read portamento is fixed, but I assume we can turn it off, yes? Is there an option to have the 5th note from the start of the piece NOT have such a exaggerated gliss? Whenever I hear these transitions they always scream string samples.
Hello Gary, sure you can choose between legato, bowchange legato and portamento. By default the portamento plays if you play at avery low velocity level and the bowchange if you play at a very high velocity level. But you can also control the legato type with the pitchwheel or a CC control that you like. If you set it to a CC that you don't use, the instrument will just play the normal legato.

Just one thing! The Intro price for Venice Modern Strings ends in 24h!

Top Bottom