What's new

Venice Modern Strings - Intro offer ends in 24h

Lovely demos! Owning most of the major string libraries make it so much harder to purchase another one.
But this is a gem. Wonderful tone...
Will most likely pull the trigger on this one.
It'll be my last string library to buy.... :shocked:

Lovely demos! Owning most of the major string libraries make it so much harder to purchase another one.
But this is a gem. Wonderful tone...
Will most likely pull the trigger on this one.
It'll be my last string library to buy.... :shocked:

oIFM4QY.jpg

I just got it. I swore I would not review another strings library but because Paolo always gets the tone right, I changed my mind. And darned if he hasn’t done it again! It sounds gorgeous. Looking forward to learning how best to use it.

Hi @Manuel Stumpf yes you're absolutely right! Not the best experience as some people don't have that much space on their main drive. So we're changing this right now and releasing the update in the next few days at the latest - your app will automatically update once the new version is out. Thanks for the feedback :)

Yeah, ran out of system drive space. Cancelled the download and quit Pulse. Can't find the downloaded, incomplete VMS files that are currently occupying disk space. I want to delete them. Where are they located?

Yeah, ran out of system drive space. Cancelled the download and quit Pulse. Can't find the downloaded, incomplete VMS files that are currently occupying disk space. I want to delete them. Where are they located?
Search for big .rar archives somewhere deeply buried in the user folder (if I remember correctly).

Damn you Paolo! The more I listen to the demotracks and watch the overview and the walkthrough, the more I think about prostituting myself just so I can buy another SSD AND this library. The tone is just.....so damn satisfying and classy and different to anything else I own. I swore to myself I'll be on a sabbatical this year and won't buy any library, but this..... . Well since I like Dominus very much it's probably my own fault for even watching those videos and listening to the demo tracks. Damnit!

Well it does sound fantastic, but could someone tell me if 1) the reverb is baked in or not? and 2) can you adjust the volume of the transitions?

So I'm not keen on the reverb used in some of the demos, but the change in intensity seems really smooth and there's a warm tone that should be easy to mix. The transitions at times stick out a bit - can they be adjusted for length or volume?

I see that there are some close mic options - but I couldn't tell much of a difference in the video.

Some other questions;
- Can the dynamics be compressed? Most libraries are too dynamic meaning we don't get to exploit the colour differences in intensity layers.
- Are there individual articulations - ie non KSW options. (KSWing is the spawn of the devil IMO). Or can the articulations be re-ordered in anyway?

I'm sorry if they have been answered already - but it's a long thread to trawl through.

Hello Stevenson!

Venice Modern Strings is not a dry library. Its sound is half part of the quality of the musicians involved and half the wonderful tone of the hall where we have recorded it. In some demos there's a bit of reverb (mainly a touch of Valhalla Room, just a bit), while in the walkthough video the library is without any reverb. Anechoic - super dry recordings tends to be incredibly dull and when there's some room left it tends to sound quite bad. And this often affects the performance of the players.

There are individual articulations. I'm not a fan of keyswitching too. And they are faster to load than the full patches. In anycase you can load and unload any articulation that you don't need, right in the interface.

There's a legato transition volume control, but it mainly affects the transition when playing really fast (the idea is that the transition is more pronounced when performing a faster passage). We'll add your request in the future things to add to the library.

About compressing the dynamics, I guess you can do with an external plugin in your DAW. What we have instead, which is quite unusual is a way to "compress" the modwheel behavior, as much as it happens with the Velocity curve.

By the way: here's a copy of the manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d94n4pi5vq2b5io/Venice Modern Strings - Manual.pdf?dl=0

Last edited:
Hi all, we've released an update to Pulse now - it will now install your temp files in the download directory instead of the system drive.

Additionally there's dual extraction built into the app now which means that if the built in extraction software (7zip) has issues extracting the files files properly for any reason, it will try a separate backup program (Unrar) instead.

More updates coming soon - if you have any issues at all, please just contact us directly at [email protected] and we'll help you out. Thanks

The Pulse Team

Hi @artomatic, the files would have been saved to:

PC:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Pulse\downloads

Mac:
~/Library/Application Support/Pulse/downloads

@paoling this sounds great. I was initially skeptical with the legato transitions and shorts from the walkthrough, but comparing to the demos I think you have shown those articulations in their walkthrough in their truest light which is very honest. I much enjoyed the Hisaishi reference in The Word of Midori by the way.

Some questions;
  1. The videos suggest that hard velocity triggers slower legato transitions and lower velocities trigger faster transitions. Have I got that wrong? Can I invert it (since most other libraries do faster transitions on harder velocities)?
  2. Can I control the short notes dynamics using a CC (rather than velocity)?
  3. Have you considered a con sordino filter?

Anechoic - super dry recordings tends to be incredibly dull and when there's some room left it tends to sound quite bad. And this often affects the performance of the players.

I completely agree. Without some early reflections the frequency response is unnatural and makes sitting the sound in a mix extremely difficult. However a chamber string sound is generally what we would reach for when looking for a closer more intimate sound, and the reverb I heard in the demos felt like it was getting away from that a bit.

Good to know about individual articulations. I tend to blend my libraries a lot and the way I have things set up I can have access to all my favourite articulations including blended ones from all libraries from one single midi instrument with a simple program change switchable on the fly.

bout compressing the dynamics, I guess you can do with an external plugin in your DAW. What we have instead, which is quite unusual is a way to "compress" the modwheel behavior, as much as it happens with the Velocity curve.

No - you misunderstand me. I am not interested in audio compression, but I find many (most) libraries too dynamic. The louds are too loud compared to the softs. That's because of the mic positioning, which exaggerates dynamics in relation to how we perceive the sound when listening. It means fighting to get the sound balanced, or not using the extremes of the dynamic range. The result is we never really get to exploit the colour range of the recorded intensities. Hans Zimmer gets that in the HZ percussion so the level of the softs can be brought up so they aren't too soft in relation to the louds. It's one of my pet gripes about sound libraries.

What I heard from the demos was pretty good but it's hard to tell just by listening whether that was an issue for the composers. It's one of the first things I look for in an orchestral library. If the mic positioning is far enough away it doesn't matter too much. Berlin winds for example, seems to be a good example of being well balanced in this respect. It'd be great to get some control...I'd like to be programming going the other, pulling softs down a bit for once. :)

Top Bottom