What's new

Velocity-specific EQ within kontakt

I have a kontakt guitar library with no dynamics for samples: playing a note with low velocity changes the sample volume but not the sample, so it sounds exactly like a high velocity note just with low volume.

My idea to get around this is by going into edit mode and linking the gain on a high EQ band to velocity: when playing with high velocity, nothing is changed, but the EQ band will cut more and more db with lower and lower velocity. This will sort of simulate a more mellow strum.

Is there a way to do this at an individual note-level? That is, if I play a quiet note followed by a loud note, the EQ reduction will affect the quiet note but not the loud one, and won't change on the quiet note when the loud note plays (that is: the EQ "dampener" will only affect the quiet note, and will continue dampening the quiet note even when the loud note plays)

My first thought was to duplicate the groups using the mapping editor and make separate groups for separate lower and lower velocities, then have a group-specific EQ for each group of velocities. However, I feel like I'm overthinking it. Can individual note velocities be linked to EQ gain for only that key press?

edit: one last comment, I also changed the sample start for quieter notes to remove the harshest part of the transient, but this sounds a little too synthetic so I think an EQ or filter would probably work better

Farkle

I think you're overthinking it. I've done this for my custom libraries; basically, I set up zones of samples into one group, then put the EQ on that group, set it for a low pass filter, then map that filter to velocity. The harder I hit the key, the higher the filter is; the softer I hit the key, the lower the filter is. That way, it's just a dynamic curve that can be mapped to one group, with multiple samples.

polypx

Hoser
Velocity in this case sets the gain for the entire note event, and won't change when the next event is played, and won't itself change the gain for the next or previous note. Your method should be fine.

shapednoise

Drunkard, Pervert, Noise geek.
I have a kontakt guitar library with no dynamics for samples: playing a note with low velocity changes the sample volume but not the sample, so it sounds exactly like a high velocity note just with low volume.

My idea to get around this is by going into edit mode and linking the gain on a high EQ band to velocity: when playing with high velocity, nothing is changed, but the EQ band will cut more and more db with lower and lower velocity. This will sort of simulate a more mellow strum.

Is there a way to do this at an individual note-level? That is, if I play a quiet note followed by a loud note, the EQ reduction will affect the quiet note but not the loud one, and won't change on the quiet note when the loud note plays (that is: the EQ "dampener" will only affect the quiet note, and will continue dampening the quiet note even when the loud note plays)

My first thought was to duplicate the groups using the mapping editor and make separate groups for separate lower and lower velocities, then have a group-specific EQ for each group of velocities. However, I feel like I'm overthinking it. Can individual note velocities be linked to EQ gain for only that key press?

edit: one last comment, I also changed the sample start for quieter notes to remove the harshest part of the transient, but this sounds a little too synthetic so I think an EQ or filter would probably work better
Try putting a simple LPF in the source section with velocity controlling the cutoff that way it’s on a per note basis.
if that seems plausible then try exploring more developed dynamic eq velo mapping. ?

Top Bottom