Velocity-depended delay for HS

Vadium

AVO CSS script by @Ihnoc and Fix CSS for Logic by @NoamL inspired me to try such thing in Plogue Bidule for Hollywood strings legato patches. So, I found that Legato Bow articulation has a linear relationship between velocity and delay (in addition to the overall negative delay on the track)
, as in the attached picture. Slur legato needs another curve. And yes, same things must be built-in Play engine out of box...

Attachments

Last edited:

almo

Wow.. that’s very cool. I can see you do this with Ableton.. how can I use it wit logic? What‘s your negative track delay value?

OP
Vadium

Vadium

I can see you do this with Ableton..
no, it's a Reaper. A negative delay for the current patch is -234ms = Bow legato delay for vel=1. But this patch needs for additional tweaking/bug fixing. For use it in Logic or Cubase you should have a Plogue Bidule installed, but for now there isn't a stable working version of this patch. It is just a first step. For example, every first note of legato passage sounds wrong - earlier, then it must to be. Maybe it's Reaper specific problem related to PDC.

Last edited:

almo

Fantastic.. so please send a download link, when it’s ready to use.. if this really works, it’s gonna be great tool. It also would be fantastic for other articulations.. how did you found your track delay value? In the manual there is nothing about it

OP
Vadium

Vadium

Fantastic.. so please send a download link, when it’s ready to use.. if this really works, it’s gonna be great tool. It also would be fantastic for other articulations.. how did you found your track delay value? In the manual there is nothing about it
by own tests

Attachments

almo

I‘m really excited about this tool.. the problem with Hollywood strings is... it sounds so great, but it‘s so difficult to get it tight...

OP
Vadium

Vadium

Is there any chance to test it in the next days?
probably no, because it's a very slow process for me to understand the behavior of all delays in the overall chain, to check articulations of HS (EW aren't provided me exact information about delays of articulations), so it seems for me that it can take a several weeks. For example, today I has started to make delay for Legato Slur articulation and one day was not enough.. HS Vi1 Slur Legato velocity depended delay knee.jpg

Last edited:

almo

Oh. I see.. I believe, you will do a great thing. It’s a shame how companies program those libraries. Especially for a high class library, like hs diamond. I bought the library in 2012, when the price was around 800 Euro..

One thing about the slur legato, for you to know ( you maybe no it already) but: I noticed, that the delay changes randomly, especially together with MIDI cc1 and cc 11

OP
Vadium

Vadium

One thing about the slur legato, for you to know ( you maybe no it already) but: I noticed, that the delay changes randomly, especially together with MIDI cc1 and cc 11
hm, it's interesting. Could you provide a step-by-step instruction, how I can to reproduce CC1 or CC11 depended delay issues?

On your side, you can, for now, to add your voice/suggestion on EW forum https://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=58581
- it can helps to poke a company to see the problem

Last edited:

almo

I think it’s related to the velocity delay. What I noticed sometimes, that the delay changes randomly and it also depends on the Songtempo and if you Play a faster or slower legato i emailed them a few times about those performance issues. But never get a satisfactory response. Did they ever explained it to you?

almo

Well from this point of view, it‘s more than real. Especially when an orchestra should play with click track. So this nightmare is very good reproduced😂😂

OP
Vadium

Vadium

The issue with a first note in slur legato passages was fixed by building a first note detector - first note has own delay. But it seems that this delay is note lenght depended. So, I've tried to compensate it with delay, switchable by CC messages for different note length (different delay value for 4th, 8th, 16th), and even complex BPM depended switchable delay, etc.. until I found (as you can see in attached video), that notes with same length and velocity have a different delay on a different pitch... In other words, if you are listening to unrhythmic notes, just try to transpose them - each time you will get different results... So, it seems that HS needs different delay values for each note pitch (on each velocity layer?)... It seems as an overcomplex task to 100% fix it - even after a lot of current delay compensation user still needs to tweak some notes by hands... повешенный.gif

Last edited: