What's new

VE Pro Template - Routing & KK

Hey all!

I'm in the process of building a VE Pro 6 template. My current main DAW is Digital Performer, but I also want to be able to use it with Cubase. For this reason, I am using VST Kontakt instances (virtually all of my libraries are Kontakt, with the exception of Omnisphere and some EW Play/Arturia libraries). When available, I use keyswitch patches.

Routing Audio
To keep things flexible, I want to assign every single instrument to its own audio output in VE Pro. I figured there are two way to achieve this:
1. A single instrument per Kontakt Instance, of which I like the look/organization/flexibility, but which means I have to load a LOT of Kontakt instances
2. Multiple Instruments per Kontakt Instance and creating multiple outputs by clicking the track's plus-sign in the mixer, then route every patch inside Kontakt to its own audio output

Can anybody state the pros and cons of both or one of these two methods? I'm particularly interested in the effect on RAM/CPU/organisation/flexibility for each of these options.

Routing MIDI
I have seen different ways of VE Pro MIDI routing and am very interested to hear why people choose one approach over the other, for instance:
1. Keyswitch patch into Kontakt instance, MIDI Port @2, MIDI Channel @2, MIDI Channel of the Kontakt Patch to Omni - why Omni and not 2?
2. Keyswitch patch into Kontakt instance, MIDI Port @2, MIDI Channel @Omni, Kontakt MIDI channels unchanged.

I guess the second way is used most of the time. However, I can imagine that by setting the VE Pro MIDI channel to omni, you have to go to MIDI Port 3 for the next instrument, even when you are not using all your MIDI channels for this instrument. That could be the advantage of Option 1. Any ideas?

Komplete Kontrol
When using VE Pro with any DAW, did anybody find a way to make use of Komplete Kontrol's Light Guide feature in a way not requiring time consuming/unintuitive workarounds?

If anybody could shine some light on these topics and explain what are your reasons for choosing a particular approach, I'd love to hear it!

All the best,

MediaComposer88

I struggled with this for months, and I still struggle with it. I hate the idea of not being able to put individual effects on instruments if they're being sent by MIDI. I've been asking Cubase for that feature request for years.

Individual Kotakt instruments is going to suck up a lot of resources. Like, a lot. I think I saved about 10-20% of RAM by switching from individual instances to grouped instances.

Individual audio sends is going to take up a lot of space. Like, a lot. The best thing you can do is use folders and keep everything organized.

What did I do?

1) I bit the bullet, bought some plugins that have question/answer licensing so I can have the plugins on both my master and slave, and I get a 90% mix in my slave.

2) Any plugin that will almost always require its own effects was put directly into Cubase and it's track was disabled, so it would be there if ever needed it but it wasn't using up resources. And for non-iLok libraries, I kept the instrument in VEP in case I ever need to free up resources.

3) Any time I need to affect a track that's in VEP, that's when I set up the audio routing. No sense in taking up space, I'd rather spend a few seconds in technical thought than to be constantly working around tons of unused audio returns.

Top Bottom