What's new

VE PRO 7 on a single Machine and its Benefits

BasariStudios

Basari Studios
Is there actually any benefits to using VE PRO on a Single Machine
without a Server? I did some testing tonight, VE PRO7 and Cubase 10.5 Pro.
I was using very little number of tracks but was just trying to calculate
what would i benefit. 1 BBC SO PRO Instance and 1 ARO Instance.
Full Mics on on both, all Mics. Mirrored the same 2 Tracks in Cubase too.
Using the 2 in Cubase only i would go about 50% CPU Usage, both,
real time and average. Using the 2 in VE PRO it was reading about
35% CPU usage. My Task manager shows 10% but that's not important now.
Then i played all 4 tracks at once, 2 in Cubase 2 in VE PRO. Of course
both sides show the same amount of CPU usage as i did before but what
i guess was realizing was the thing that now at 50% CPU usage in Cubase
i can play 4 of those tracks instead of 2, the other 2 being on VE PRO.
So all this RANT above the simple question is:
Is there any Benefit to using VE PRO 7 on a single machine?

Thanks

Much ink split here on this topic. Answer is yes. Piling on the mics is an interesting experiment but do it up for real, use search here. There is LOTs on this very topic. There are also a bunch of excellent lengthy tutorials on YouTube about how to set things up to get good processing mileage out of your machine. Number of instances across cores is key to process management. If you are chewing through 35 to 50% of your CPU on a few but large mic setups, things are not set up properly. Shouldnt do that in Cubase. There you go, off to search...

Much ink split here on this topic. Answer is yes. Piling on the mics is an interesting experiment but do it up for real, use search here. There is LOTs on this very topic. There are also a bunch of excellent lengthy tutorials on YouTube about how to set things up to get good processing mileage out of your machine. Number of instances across cores is key to process management. If you are chewing through 35 to 50% of your CPU on a few but large mic setups, things are not set up properly. Shouldnt do that in Cubase. There you go, off to search...
Thanks...but...Abbey Road One on almost everyone's PC does the same with a lot of Mics on. As far as spreading to Multiple Cores goes i have no clue what i have to do with it besides the DAW it self.

I think it may depend on how good the DAW and instruments are at spreading use through multiple cores. By using 2 programs rather than one, the CPU does the deciding how to delegate cores to each program rather than, say, Cubase, if that makes sense. It should be slightly more efficient. I'm also wondering if running something like Ableton as a slave would be more efficient also. Put some of your instruments on that.

Might be an interesting experiment to try. I'm not quite sure how to track it though. Is there a way to record CPU performance?

In the words of the immortal Bob Newhart, "JUST STOP IT. JUST STOP IT" with the mic placements and continually repeating things that don't work.

Like I said, you use search, you will find reams and reams of material on this topic of using VEPro on a single machine to good effect. Many, many testimonials to its benefit.

I'm out of this thread. I'm watching an incredible recital right now. Ciao.

In the words of the immortal Bob Newhart, "JUST STOP IT. JUST STOP IT" with the mic placements and continually repeating things that don't work.

Like I said, you use search, you will find reams and reams of material on this topic of using VEPro on a single machine to good effect. Many, many testimonials to its benefit.

I'm out of this thread. I'm watching an incredible recital right now. Ciao.

It's more the why that interests me. And I've been watching a lot of VEPro videos lately because I am setting up a slave machine, so I have questions. :)

Thanks guys, good points and i am doing a lot of research now, my other question is:

I had a topic about using or throwing away an extra i7 5820k i have with 32GB RAM and i think a Strix 960. My main Machine now is an i9 10900k with a Strix 2060 and 64GB RAM. I am planning on using VE PRO 7 either on Local PC on main Machine or network to my 5820k. What is best for me now, easier workflow and other benefits. Upgrade the 10900k to 128GB RAM and just use a single Machine with VE PRO or...upgrade 5820k to 64GB RAM with a nice SSD and Network it with VE PRO? Thanks

@amadeus1 has a good video showing some cool tests in Cubase.

Also, another major advantage is that once you load a VEPro template (and leave it preserved), you don't have to reload anything when switching projects. This is a massive time saver when dealing with multiple cues.

Thanks, i did some tests similar like this and same results,
it gives you a lot of free resources for the same patches.

An i7 5820K with 64 megs of RAM with VEPro would be a very good machine using Cubase as the DAW and of course offloading most of the processing to VEPro. Most people would be very well served with that configuration and a large and full template, let alone the monster machine you have.

An i7 5820K with 64 megs of RAM with VEPro would be a very good machine using Cubase as the DAW and of course offloading most of the processing to VEPro. Most people would be very well served with that configuration and a large and full template, let alone the monster machine you have.
Thanks, i might do that, upgrade both, to 128 gb and 64 gb respectively
and then offload some of the stuff to the 5820k. I got VEPRO and the
Licenses laying around collecting dust anyways. I almost dissasembled
this 5820k pc and almost threw it away if it wasn't for this forum.
Then i read and realized that the 5820k was actually a lot of peoples main machine.

Thanks, i might do that, upgrade both, to 128 gb and 64 gb respectively
and then offload some of the stuff to the 5820k. I got VEPRO and the
Licenses laying around collecting dust anyways. I almost dissasembled
this 5820k pc and almost threw it away if it wasn't for this forum.
Then i read and realized that the 5820k was actually a lot of peoples main machine.
You could also try using the single i9 with 128GB, and if it's not powerful enough (which I highly doubt), you could add the "old" machine. Upgrading the RAM on just the i9 is probably gong to be $600 because I think you'll need to add four 32GB sticks (replacing your current RAM). Depends on your mobo, I guess.

Do you have VEPro 7? When I upgraded from 6 to 7, you lose your additional licenses (used to get three). VSL forces you to buy additional licenses now. But if you're just on the single machine, you're already covered if you move to VEPro 7....which is awesome in it's own right.

Thanks
Do you have VEPro 7? When I upgraded from 6 to 7, you lose your additional licenses (used to get three). VSL forces you to buy additional licenses now. But if you're just on the single machine, you're already covered if you move to VEPro 7....which is awesome in it's own right.
I am thinking the same, upgrade the i9 to 128GB and take it from there.
VE PRO 7 already doubled my Power on the i9 plus the extra RAM i might
even end up using just 1 machine which is a lot less complex and less chances
of screw ups down the line and stuff. I was on VE PRO 5, i had 2 License,
i upgraded to 7 and its as you said, one License only. If i decide to slave the
5820k i will have to buy another license OR...what if i use 5 on the Slave
and 7 on the Master? Can 2 different Versions talk to each other?
If not screw it...if i decide to go that road i will just buy another License.
Yes, the RAM is close to 600$, the 64GB i have is about 2 months old,
i can claim RMA with NEWEGG and in the meantime just purchase the
128, and the one i have claim that i just wanna return it, done it before.

Thanks

From what I was told by VSL, you need the same version on both machines. I bought an additional license during a half price sale they had last year.
Exactly, but you only need a license for the machines where you are running VEP instances. So if you host VEP only on a secondary setup you will just need one license for that system. The connector plugin inside the DAW does not require a license in order to run.

Exactly, but you only need a license for the machines where you are running VEP instances. So if you host VEP only on a secondary setup you will just need one license for that system. The connector plugin inside the DAW does not require a license in order to run.
Thanks Ben! I’ve been using VEPro for years, and only recently discovered this. I now keep my second license (on its own dongle) in a safe place in case something happens to the dongle on my slave.

Aaaahhhh thank you! Now i understood, so the Master does not need
a License where you open the actual VST Plugin, it just stays installed
and works without a License...You need the actual License just where
you actually open the stand alone Instance.

Thanks again

The flip side that rarely gets mentioned about VEP is that it isn't magic in terms of how it handles your CPU, it just adds an additional buffer. THAT is VEP's "magic". If using 2 buffers in VEP with your DAW set to a 64 sample buffer, your real world buffer is actually 192 not 64.

That said some DAW's perform better with VEP than others... My two main DAWs are Logic and Live; Logic for the heavy work, Live for sound design and less complex projects....

Logic handles VEP like there's nothing there... Live tends to be more fussy. If I have a small to medium VEP template both DAWs behave fine more or less... If I have a VEP template that's leaning toward the heavier end Live falls apart quickly, Logic more or less isn't bothered until I have tons of instances loaded that Logic couldn't handle on its own either... This typically translates to multiple instances hitting past the 50% mark playing back at the same time. I have to really push the envelope for Logic to fall apart though, whereas Live starts struggling noticeably sooner... This echoes the same behavior I see hosting instruments directly inside each DAW. Live falls apart quicker at the same buffer, and generally requires a higher buffer to run smoothly compared to Logic.

Short version; VEP doesn't magically enhance CPU use via some kind of amazing multi-core CPU algorithm, it simply adds more buffering time which can be achieved in most instances by simply raising your DAWs buffer.

Last edited:
VEP doesn't magically enhance CPU use via some kind of amazing multi-core CPU algorithm
Yes, yes it does ;)
Some DAWs have already good multi-core code so no big improvements there, but others have not.
But imo more important then the performance improvements is the workflow improvement.

Top Bottom