What's new

Vangelis : Juno to Jupiter - Album Released !

meh.. that new vangelis sound (orchestral, with very little synths) he now does since several years is not the music i like from him.
The old years, starting in the seventies till end of nineties where the best times musically i think for him. his true musical genius shines there.
Synths galore with high emotions, beautiful soundscapes. With some traditional instruments here and there.. (choir, or percussion, piano).

Loving this new album. He still has his unique touch, and I can feel a lot of emotion in his music.

Beautiful Synth and Orch. Sound layers, not your traditional acoustic orchestral writing technique, but that's what Vangelis is all about, he creates his own sonic scape, and orchestra, to express emotions, feelings, it's also a beautiful sonic experience that is able to transport, and enlighten our imagination.

Loving this new album. He still has his unique touch, and I can feel a lot of emotion in his music.

Beautiful Synth and Orch. Sound layers, not your traditional acoustic orchestral writing technique, but that's what Vangelis is all about, he creates his own sonic scape, and orchestra, to express emotions, feelings, it's also a beautiful sonic experience that is able to transport, and enlighten our imagination.
I love it! thanks for the heads up. Reminds me of his seminal stuff like Antarctica and Soil Festivities.

Look, he's 78 years old! We should just be celebrating that anyone that age can still be working actively in our field. In these difficult times, it's nice to see a little shining light of hope!
You are going a bit offtopic i think, here is why:
i too "celebrate", appreciate is a better word i think, his dedication to music since he was very very young. Also for the fact his is still doing it, daily (making music). Hopefully for many years to come.
But... This is about the album, his music, not his personal condition, age, etc.. it should not have any play into the verdict on his released albums. :)

so...

Purely musically speaking.. You either like this album or don't..
And i like his earlier work more than his more recent works. He moved away from what made him famous/ well known. And well, his current compositions/produced work, is not reflecting my taste: it feels a bit toying around (lack of structures) with orchestral rompler sounds, instead of the deep emotive synth sounds of past decades (with clear structures).

And as for different verdicts, maybe it's beating a dead hor the obvious.. but
You seem to like it, like some others here.. that's your feeling, your verdict. And that's is perfectly fine. :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

First, I love that Vangelis still doesn't fall into the modern trap where some others have fallen.
No 4/4 boring club bass kick, no 3 min radio format etc... Vangelis doesn't seem to need to be on the radio. Doesn't want to be played in clubs. He does his thing. And I like him for that.

As a huuuge fan of what Jean-Michel Jarre used to do long ago, I'm so disappointed with the turn his music took. Commercial dance-music with a soul-less dance bass kick etc... (That's only my personal taste. It's completely ok to disagree)

I feel the same with Mike Oldfield. As some point, I started to feel disconnected with his work.
I actually liked Return to Ommadawn for that reason. While definitely not his best, I felt like he was coming back to his previous style and I appreciated that aspect of the album.

With Vangelis, I don't have that. Vangelis still does what he's always done. And that's good. Never have I told myself "I'm lost with what he's doing".

Does that make this last album a great one? I don't think so. It lacks a bit in memorable melodic lines. I feel it's more atmospheric. I could picture the images of a spaceship travelling between planets... But with the images being more important that the music... I what I'm saying even makes sense... I picked up a lot of signature sounds and gimmicks that made me immediately feel at home, but nothing seemed to immediately catch my ears and give me a wow effect.

I'll listen to it a lot to go deeper than this first approach feeling. We'll see if it grows on me.

Now, seriously though: Someone make that man go on tour please. I don't care when or where. I'll be there. DO IT !

Top Bottom