VANGELIS: How does he do that?!!!!

poetd

Strings sounded a little synthy, terrible legatos too.

But seriously, HOLY HELL!

Anders Wall

55°36'48.6"N 13°07'14.2"E
@Anders Wall its a great series isn’t it.
That’s the one where he starts playing Chariots of Fire when they are just sitting there isn’t it?
One of the best series about film music.
My absolute favourite moment is the one with Angelo Badalamenti, it's near the end of the second episode. You can see that he as done this a million times but stilll, the storytelling is as good as it gets.
As is his music. Goosebumps every time :O
Music doesn't have to be complicated to invoke emotions.

Best,
Anders

Gerbil

I really like some of his stuff, especially 'China', but I'm going to be honest, I think it sounds awful and it's not very interesting as an improv.

TomislavEP

Actually, it's quite simple to describe Vangelis and his music. He is a true natural-born talent, completely unspoiled by formal education or by music and film industries. Also, one of the rare examples of using music technology in the right way, with the aim of personal expression and inseparable bond between performance and composition.

Personally, I find it charming that Vangelis always stayed loyal to his methods, even when it comes to choosing the sound palette.

MauroPantin

We'll cross that bridge when we burn it
I have to admit I had the stupidest grin on my face watching that. Imagine Vangelis having access to something like divisimate...

OP
Christian64

Christian64

Actually, it's quite simple to describe Vangelis and his music. He is a true natural-born talent, completely unspoiled by formal education or by music and film industries. Also, one of the rare examples of using music technology in the right way, with the aim of personal expression and inseparable bond between performance and composition.

Personally, I find it charming that Vangelis always stayed loyal to his methods, even when it comes to choosing the sound palette.
Totally agree; vangelis reminds us of the importance of its own musical identity, of improvisation; a kind of musical meditation