UVI Workstation... drop support for Windows 7

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by DynamicK, Dec 4, 2018 at 3:09 AM.

1. michelsimons

michelsimons Senior Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Delft
    In my case the updates are sent once every couple of months by the company where I bought my laptop. They disabled the automatic updates when they configured the system for using to make music.

dzilizzi likes this.
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Win 10 Pro. Can delay updates up to a year (which is reasonable).

dzilizzi likes this.
  3. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    Thanks guess the next purchase is Win 10 Pro. Though I will probably be okay for another year. :)

4. GtrString

GtrString Senior Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    OSX

SoNowWhat? and DynamicK like this.
  5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
  6. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Are you kidding? OSX is worse than Windows 10. At least I can still use old programs in Windows 10. You have to have WUP if you want to run OSX.

No, really, I think they are both about the same. I hear a lot more complaints from Mac users. Windows supports their old OS's a lot longer. And OSX updates tend to break more things. Plus I crash Macs and I don't know how to recover as easy. :)

7. GtrString

GtrString Senior Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    I dont think so, and it was my answer to the question. The Microsoft paternalism was a dealbreaker for me. Under no circumstance will I put up with that.

Ive run OSX since 2012 on several computers and never have had one single issue. And the time Ive saved on maintenance alone is worth more than the computers.

8. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    This is increasingly true, especially drivers for old printers, but increasingly software as well. Generally, I do major OSX system upgrades only after they have been out for at least 3 months and I test it on my laptop first. Every other day it seems, the App Store has been prompting me about upgrading to Mojave.

dzilizzi likes this.
  9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    That just means you were lucky. :P

michelsimons and dzilizzi like this.
  10. Massimo

Massimo Senior Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Ticino/Switzerland
    I don't think so! I still have my PC's on W7 and will remain there as long as I can...

VgsA likes this.
  11. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I certainly find the current 1803 stable release very good. I use it on all my systems. I'm going to wait on 1809, as that seems unstable and includes a new graphics driver architecture.

12. heisenberg

heisenberg Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    The last big Windows 10 update the rolled out about six weeks ago, version 1809, has been a disaster, as it has been well documented in the tech media. It's most celebrated feature was that it could delete files. They pulled it but then released it a few weeks later with new and almost as bad new bugs. Worse time in my view to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and encourage people to move to Windows 10.

BTW the current Falcon works well on Windows 7.

13. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    By keeping the machine offline.

dzilizzi likes this.
  14. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Not always possible, unfortunately.

15. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    You're right, but this is only because the current state of software usage rights is so oppressively corrupt, and the majority of end-users seem to be okay with, or at least resigned to the now standard draconian human rights violations in terms of how software products are licensed & activated.

Practically, in Windows at least, if you use a shut-down firewall such as Tinywall, which can be set to block EVERYTHING unless you give it explicit permission to do otherwise, you can go online once in a while and allow for an online activation protocol without Windows Update connecting to MS's remote servers.

DynamicK and dzilizzi like this.
  16. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    I actually like my iLok because I can update it on another computer and never have to go online with my music computer. But too many of the other ones require online activation. And though I love Kontakt, Native Access has become a pain. I had to relink around 100 libraries after my recent HD crash. At least with UVI, I just point it in the direction of the folder and all the libraries show up. Of course, I have to do this every time I open it.

17. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I've never had an iLok account, but I've read that some developers make you go online and "check in" even if you have iLok... Had I known that Native Instruments would eventually infest their ecosystem with the Native Access malware, I never would have gone down that path either. Now it's too late.

If I were a billionaire I would buy out these companies and liberate them from their fascist CP.

dzilizzi likes this.
  18. 667

667 Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    You can set library locations in preferences/options menu, it will find them on startup.

dzilizzi likes this.